Quilt With Us

ITEMS TO BRING TO THE RETREAT:

*A salad for Thursday's noon luncheon at Diane's home

*Your beverage of choice (water, tea, pop, wine....whatever your preference) for the duration of the retreat

*Snack to set out on the community snack table to be shared with everyone (cookies, chocolate, bars, fresh fruit, chocolate, licorice, candy, nuts, mints, chocolate, trail mix....you get the idea!)  Quilters are partial to chocolate!!!  :)

*Couch throw made from three yards of fabric you got from Marcia at the 2016 retreat.  The pattern we used is called "Lover's Lane" and is our "UN-CHALLENGE" project for this year's retreat!  :)

* Two- three children's pillowcases to donate to our "Betty Cases" charity project.  The school nurse gives needy elementary children these pillowcases at Christmas time with necessary items (socks, mittens, toothbrush, toothpaste, etc) tucked inside the pillowcases.    

*Three FQs in gray prints for our LCR game!  You may bring one light gray print, one medium gray print, and one dark gray print OR you may bring two light and one dark OR two medium and one dark.  However you mix the shades is fine....as long as you bring along three gray prints!

*Please bring three quilt related items in a RECYCLED GIFT BAG for our swap.  The three items to tuck inside the "MYSTERY BAG" are:  1)  a quilt book or pattern you no longer want;  2) a quilt tool (e.g.- a seam ripper, tape measure, scissors, a duplicate of a tool you already have or maybe even a special ruler you had to have but don't use; 3) TWO yards of fabric you are no longer in love with or you wish to donate!  The two yards can consist of 8 FQs, four 1/2 yards cuts, whatever....as long as it equals TWO yards of fabric!  (And NO...the fabrics do not have to be coordinating if you have more than one fabric!)   Place these three things into a recycled gift bag for our swap activity!  After we are done playing the game and you received something in the bag you don't think you'll use - we can swap with one another after the game!

*Any additional sewing related items (not tucked inside the "Mystery Bag") can be added to our annual GARAGE SALE!  Here's a great opportunity to clean out those no-longer-needed items in your sewing room and have them adopted by your fellow quilters!  Feel free to bring other craft items such as yarn, beads, felt, buttons, etc. -since everything seems to find a home at these garage sales!  Even novels, audio books, and cookbooks can be added to the garage sale since we have a lot of avid readers in our group!

*Two or three quilt projects you have completed and would like to share during our "SHOW & TELL"

*Remember your quilting buddy:  your friendly stuffed GORILLA!

THIS AND THAT:

*I will bring two sets of bed risers to place under the legs of two long tables to make them a comfortable height for cutting tables.

*The hotel will supply the irons and ironing boards. (These are from the rooms but the staff will have them in the conference room for us to use during the retreat.)  You may wish to bring your own personal mini-iron and small ironing pad so you can do this task in your work space.

*Bring your own rotary cutter, scissors, and rulers.  You may decide to bring a small cutting mat, but it's silly for all of us to bring large cutting mats.  Diane L, Karen H, and I will each bring a LARGE cutting mat to share with others.

TENTATIVE SCHEDULE:

THURSDAY at 7 PM- "Show & Tell" of quilts brought from home and sharing of the pillowcases made for our "Betty-Case" charity project.

FRIDAY at 7 PM- LCR game (using 3 FQs of gray prints) and the "Mystery Bag" exchange

SATURDAY at 9:30 AM- Garage Sale

at 1:30 PM- "UN-Challenge" quilts shared and next year's challenge revealed!  :)

Views: 778

Replies to This Discussion

I have to get a late start on Thursday so won't be at Diane's for lunch ;^(   See you all at the hotel.  I'm also leaving sometime Saturday evening; not staying over Saturday night.  I need to be in church on Sunday.

What time will everyone be arriving Thursday?

We will try to get there early but I always say that. It will probably 1030 or so for us. See you tomorrow!

Since the overnight forecast sounds wet, we are going to pick the bulk of tomorrow's orders tonight.  That means I should be able to get on the road early.  Hopefully will be there  between 9:30 and 10:00.  I've been pushing as many orders off until Saturday as I can so I am able to get a good start on Friday morning as well.

Linda Northwick- I have a favor to ask of you!  When I attended the Ankeny quilt show you had a quilt on display called the To-A-Tee.  I'm thinking it was a scrappy quilt.  Would you be willing to bring this quilt and its pattern to the retreat?  Silly me- I didn't take a snapshot, but I still have the program from the quilt show.  I impressed myself by remembering it was your quilt and that it had a silly name---so I looked it up in the program!  I'm pretty sure it was your To-A-Tee quilt!  :)

If you would bring that quilt, I would love giving it a second look....please??!!  :)

I wanted to thank Marcia and her friend Judy, Diane and all the ladies that attended this year's retreat for the super fun time.  It is always great to see everyone and the projects they have made and are in the process of making.  We have so many talented quilters who are never to busy to help and instruct.  True friends who can put up with my outbursts of frustration with the paper Piecing project (aka: paper pis_ing ) as Joyce would say.  I will conquer this before next year's retreat.  You are all truly great friends.  I look forward to next year!!! Happy quilting!

We look forward to seeing your completed paper pi__ing projects next year. It was great to be part of the group.

What makes this retreat such a success is everyone's willingness to participate in everything that I throw at ya!  All of you are so willing to participate in my games AND challenges!  So much laughter from our games and so many 'warm fuzzies' from sharing our challenge projects with a charity!  From beginning to end, this retreat is one retreat I always look forward to!  Great ladies make great company....and great memories!  (And this includes the 'paper pis_ing' episode!  LOL) 

BTW- As I was packing up and cleaning up in the conference room, I came across a Target red fabric grocery bag underneath the snack table.  It had some bowls and silverware in it.  Who does this bag belong to?

Nancy- please tell Joyce I have her Rubbermaid container (with the red lid) that contained her grape salad.  The salad was enjoyed by the last few participants at noon on Sunday, but I did wash the container and now have it at my house!

Also, whoever brought the delicious oatmeal/chocolate layered bars:  I have your clear, rectangular-shaped plastic tray that your bars were on.... and am holding your tray RANSOM till you share the recipe!!!  Several people would love to have your recipe, so please post your bar cookie recipe on the IQ  RECIPE discussion page!  Thanks!

If you haven't already written a review about our stay at the Country Inn during the retreat, please do so!  They're such a wonderful staff and I so delight in them receiving recognition for a job well done!  Here's the site to write your review:

https://www.choicehotels.com/iowa/story-city/comfort-inn-hotels/ia0...

Just scroll down the page a bit till you see an orange box on the right side that says "WRITE A REVIEW".  You will need the nine digit account number on the billing statement you received when you paid your bill.  If you misplaced your bill- just give Missy (the desk clerk) a call and she will share the account number with you.  (Been there, done that!!)  Hope you take the time to write a review.  Since they do such a swell job treating us right, I think it is only a nice courtesy to take a few minutes to write up a positive review for them!  :)  Thanks!

Thanks for the great prizes for our unchallenge quilts--I chose the numbered pins and have them in use marking my rows for a wall hanging I started at the retreat. Perfect! Already thinking of how to do next year's challenge.

RSS

© 2021   Created by CT Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service