Quilt With Us

If anyone is interested in doing a Mystery Quilt, we'll start on November 26th...after Thanksgiving and Black Friday and Cyber Saturday.

Let me know; the clues and pictures (thanks, Jackie!) will be posted on this discussion board.

Views: 1956

Replies to This Discussion

Sandy, will you post the fabric requirements before the first clue.  Just in case we need to go shopping...any excuse will do!

Good idea!  I'll post fabric requirements AND cutting instructions first.  Maybe this week as we pack to head south; then the first clue in two weeks.

I'll give the Mystery Quilt a shot, Sandy & Jackie!

Great!  That makes 7 of us so far!

Fabric and cutting info coming soon!

I'll give it a go also. I will ask Joyce if she wants to join.  Thank you Sandy and Jackie for this.  

Hope Joyce is adventuresome too!  Thanks, everyone, for joining in.

I'll at least print off the instructions and will try to get at them!

It's not a complicated pattern but very attractive.  Glad you're in, Darce.

OK..I can't wait any longer to get this started LOL!!  I'm hoping I can keep up too with moving to Texas for 4 1/2 months and all the stuff going on down there.  So..here are the fabric requirements:

Feature Fabric: this one needs to be a rich color, medium value, that will be used both for blocks and the outer border. Needs great contrast with the background.  A small print with colors that you can pull out for the coordinating fabric works well.  You'll need 2 yards.  See note below re: binding.

Coordinate A: This one needs to coordinate with the feature fabric but have contrast. One of the colors from the feature fabric is good as this one will be used in the blocks but doesn't touch the feature fabric. You'll need 1/2 yard.

Coordinate B: This one also needs to coordinate but contrast with the feature fabric, perhaps picking up another of the colors in the feature fabric.  It's used for the blocks as well as the inner border. You'll need 1 1/4 yards.

Background: This fabric is neutral, tone-on-tone or solid with texture but nothing with any other color or pattern or print. It needs to be quiet so the other fabrics can "speak".  Contrast with the other fabrics needs to be great.  You'll need 1 1/2 yards. 

Binding is 2/3 yard.  The quilt pictured used the focus fabric for binding so if you do that, add the 2/3 yard to your amount for focus fabric.  Backing is 4 3/4 yards of whatever pleases your eye.

The book shows this quilt in earth colors of a medium brown small pattern (looks like little leaves) for the feature, dark brown and olive green tone-on-tone or solid coordinates A & B and a rich cream for the background.

OK...there we are; hit the shops or hit the stash.  If any of this doesn't make sense, ask me now before I pack the book!

Would this work with red, black, white, and grey?   Or patriotic, with red, white, blue, and gold?

I think the patriotic colors would work if they were all medium or deep and not light; the other colorway would not have enough contrast between the white and grey.

Well that was easy took me about five minutes to pull hopefully just the right fabrics out of my stash!  A floral with a green background, red and dark green that are in the floral and a tan background that also has a tiny bit in the floral.

RSS

Country Fair

New & Exclusive! Country Fair Collection just $6.96/yard Shop now »

Chambray Tonals

New & Exclusive! Chambray Tonals just $6.96/yard. Shop now »

© 2020   Created by CT Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service