Quilt With Us

Have a question that doesn't fit into any of the other categories?

Post it here, and we'll try to answer it!

Views: 939

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi, if you don't want a binding consider using a facing instead. Just a suggestion; but you won't have to deal with mitering at the curved indents. I have the scalloped acrylic rulers (small & large) too and I see the instructions with them show using a binding only. But you should be able to make a facing using your ruler, just match up the scallops, clip the curves and turn the facing to the back. You will probably have to stitch the facing to the back by hand, unless you are able to include a line of stitching in your overall quilt design that will catch and secure the facing to the back of the quilt. If you try it out on a small practice quilt sandwich it will help you decide if you want to use this method.
DISCLAIMER: I have never scalloped anything, including potatoes, but wanted to offer a suggestion anyway!

After reading Rebecca's reply, I hope I can explain what I'm picturing in my head without confusing you. Instead of a facing, if I had enough fabric, I'd either cut "two" scalloped edges out of the same fabric I want to show on the "front" or do one of that fabric and one of whatever I'm using as my quilt backing so they match, and sew them right sides together to each other leaving the top part open. Then like she said, I'd clip the curved seams and then turn them right side out and use a blunt tool to push the seams as straight as possible and then iron them really well. Then I'd turn under (towards the batting) 1/4 inch or so on both the front and the back of my quilt, insert the unfinished top of my scallop and pin all the layers together. Then I'd either hand stitch or machine stitch them all at once.

Does that make sense?
What a wonderful suggestion. I think I'm going to try this and very soon. I bought the scallop rulers because I love the look. I make small quilts and the scalloped finish makes them seem more special.
Thanks!
Hi Carol, Yes I have a couple of sergers. Usually if they are not sewing correctly it is because you may have threaded them out of order or have the wrong tension settings. Best bet is to go back to the origional settings on the tension to start. Then go to your book and following the threading order the same sequence as the book tells you. Once you have done that it should start sewing, and you can make adjustments to the tension to accomidate the fabric you are sewing on. Hope that helps. Michelle
This is an excellent idea, thank you, but it is sooooooo confusing to have every question just go under this one section with no way to follow one single topic or maybe I am just not using the site properly.
Getting the settings on a serger correct can be quite a challenge. My suggestion is use 4 different colors of thread and then thread the machine as usual. Then set all the dials to whatever your books suggests. Sew a test strip and you can see exactly which color thread needs to be adjusted. Keep making test strips until you have it correct. This teaches you how each thread works and what dial needs to be adjusted to form the perfect chain. Good luck.
I just started quilting my first quilt by machine. I'm using a Brother sewing machine and I was wondering if anyone could suggest which stitch and stitch size to use for a ditch stitch. I've done some successful stippling, but my ditch stitch just isn't coming out right. Help!!
Hi Blosm, I have a brother also but it would depend on which model you have. Mine is the Duetta 4500D. So it has many feet. I belive there is a stitch in a ditch foot that has a little piece of metal that drops into the ditch so it will not move beyond the ditch area. The straight stitch and then adjust the width so it falls exactly where you need it to fall fo the ditch.
I am interested in knowing what machines others are quilting on, I use a Brother but the throat is small.
I have a Janome 6600. It has a huge throat and I've done several king-size quilts on it.
Judy
when you refer to the throat... is that the sewing surface?
And is this an embroidery machine or a long arm..sorry i am not that up on the models,
Thanks
Patsy in OHIO
I use a Pfaff (throat is 7") for pieces up to 76" wide, send anything bigger than that out to be quilted.

RSS

Country Fair

New & Exclusive! Country Fair Collection just $6.96/yard Shop now »

Chambray Tonals

New & Exclusive! Chambray Tonals just $6.96/yard. Shop now »

© 2019   Created by CT Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service