Quilt With Us

Have a question that doesn't fit into any of the other categories?

Post it here, and we'll try to answer it!

Views: 947

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Is your E-mail browser "Outlook"? If so, your whole system will speed up if you close "Outlook" when you have your Internet browser open. Outlook and other e-mail programs are so powerful that they use up more of the memory available. Give it a try, maybe it will help!
Tammy, let me know if Rebecca's suggestion doesn't work.
Hi Karen, I've been unable to spend much time at the computer for the last month, so I'm just now seeing your post. Since I've been away so long, I don't know if I still have the problem. I don't have Outlook, but I will make sure my email is closed whenever I'm on the site. I'll let you know if I still have problems. Thanks.
Tammy
Hello Everyone,
I'm new to this site.
I'm making a baby quilt do I trim batting and backing evenly or leave a raw edge all away around. I have it pinned and I want to add thread on the front of the quilt, want kind should I use.

Thanks!
Hi Sandy,
Leave the raw edge all around until you have finishing quilting the layers. Often one of the layers will pull in a little as you quilt so you shouldn't trim until you're done. The general rule is to use the same quality of thread as you have in your quilt - cotton to cotton, etc. However, really anything goes. If you want the thread to really show up, use a heavier thread. If you want it to blend in, use a matching finer thread. Rayon will give you more sheen.

Have fun!

Karen
Oh help! I'm ready to start the prep for handquilting my Q-size quilt (foolishly promised to favorite niece and quilt lover). My directions are to form the "sandwich" and baste. Excuse me? Baste WHERE? The assumptions are that one knows this and I can't find it written anywhere! Edges don't sound right. Diagonally? quarters?
Hi Gini,
If you are using a full standing quilt frame, you don't need to baste at all. If you're using a lap frame, then yes, you do have to baste. The ideal way is to get a really large surface, either floor or table, that allows you to lay the whole thing out flat. Put the backing down first, right side down, and tape it in all corners to pull it out taught and squared. Then lay the batting - also tape it down. Finally the top and make sure every layer is very smooth and straight. Then you can hand baste or use tons of safety pins (curved are easier) and baste every 6 inches or so, to form a rough grid - doesn't have to be squared, just in regular intervals. If you are hand basting with thread - again it doesn't matter if it's diagonal or squared, as long as you are consistent. But start by going down the very center in each direction and work your way out in approx 6 in sections so the whole thing is secure. If you feel it still needs reinforcement, you can also baste around the edges, but generally that is not needed. Then you can untape and start hand quilting.

That's quite a project! Good luck!

Karen
VP, Connecting Threads
I have numerous gentleman's old suits, varying fabrics. I would like to make them into a memory quilt of my uncle and then use the rest of the fabric for charity quilts. Any suggestions anyone may have on handling/care, etc of the fabric? Fairly new to quilting so I may be looking at a tricky project but think they can be put to better use in quilts for warmth for folks than donated as out of style suits. j
Hi Janet,
What a great idea! I would make sure they are all dry cleaned, in case any are wool and have been infested with moths - so you don't find out your quilt gets eaten later! If they are approx all the same weight, I don't think you need to do anything special, other than label the finished quilt to be dry cleaned only (or not laundered at all). Because some of the fabrics might ravel more than others, you might want to take slightly deeper seams than 1/4".

If they are varying weights, I recommend interfacing or stabilizers to make every fabric approx the same weight before you begin so it will hang or drape consistently once it's done. Have fun!

Karen
Great ideas, thank you. How about using a serger? j
I don't own a serger, so I can't help you there, but it seems logical that would help prevent raveling.
That was my thought - to prevent the raveling. That is IF I can remember how to use the serger...haven't touched it since I started quilting a few months ago. I'll let you know how it comes out.

RSS

Country Fair

New & Exclusive! Country Fair Collection just $6.96/yard Shop now »

Chambray Tonals

New & Exclusive! Chambray Tonals just $6.96/yard. Shop now »

© 2019   Created by CT Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service