Quilt With Us

After reading about the problems we have with the traditional narrow quilt binding (lumps, curves, keeping it even, etc) I started thinking about how I use a facing on shirt cuffs and collars, and how I could apply that to a quilt. Here's my solution:

I add the borders to the quilt until it's the size I want. Sometimes I finish the quilting in the outside border...sometimes I leave the outside border unquilted. Then I cut one more border the same width as the last one, and sew it on as if it was going to be another border on the front, just stitching to the top -- not all the way through all layers. I top stitch it on the outside edge of the last seam, very close to the seam, just like on a collar facing on a shirt. I press the seam, then fold it to the back on the seam, and press it flat, so the last border is now on the back of the quilt.

I make sure I have enough batting to fill to the edge...sometimes double batting, so it makes a thicker frame on front and back. I miter the corners to the inside (a little tricky to figure out, but it just takes patience and practice). I press the edge of the border under -- sometimes I do this before I sew it on -- and hand stitch the edge to the backing of the quilt.

I end up with a border on the back, the same width as the outside border on the front. The corners are perfectly square, and the edge is nice and straight. I like the frame effect with thick batting and no quilting in the border, but it could be quilted too.

OK -- am I nuts for not liking that thin, lumpy binding, and giving the back of my quilt a facing/border?

Views: 1825

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi i just want to let you know that i got the quilt done and the binding looks well not that bad for the first time doing it and i wnat ot let all of you that gave me some help and information it was a gate help . I hope my son and daughter-in-law like and sue it for a long time and can hand it down to there off springs if they have any . So now i am going to try another project but not a big and hope it gose just as well
That's great Kirsen -- I'm sure they'll love it! 'Done' is a wonderful word, huh? XOXOXOX

RSS

Country Fair

New & Exclusive! Country Fair Collection just $6.96/yard Shop now »

Chambray Tonals

New & Exclusive! Chambray Tonals just $6.96/yard. Shop now »

© 2019   Created by CT Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service