Quilt With Us

Hi everyone: I just joined this group and am looking forward to learning and trading tips with other machine quilters. I have been sewing and machine quilting on and off for 25 years. Since retiring last year, I'm now able to spend a lot of more time in my sewing room and as a combined retirement and 50th birthday gift, my husband has suggested I buy myself a new sewing machine. My budget is $5,000. and I would like to buy a good quality machine primarily geared towards quilting, but I'd also like to experiment with embroidery. I figure my budget is large enough to also let me purchase some sort of quilting frame set up as I'd like to quilt my larger quilts at home instead of farming them out. I'd love to hear any recommendations from experienced machine quilters. I have my eye on the Husqvarna Quilt Designer II and the Pfaff Performance 2056 but I'm confused over the various quilting frame systems. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Attached are a few samples of my quilts.

Views: 953

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Good Morning,

I just joined this group yesterday. I have been orderdering from CT for a year and just found all of you.

I have sewn on the Designer ll at the dealer and absolutely loved it. I like the sleek lines of the machine itself and it just hummed along very smoothly. I have the Viking 910 overlock machine and it also runs very smoothly. When I get ready I will probably go with the Viking model.

As for the quilting machine, I'm still looking. I need something smaller since I don't have a lot of room. I hear a lot about the HQ16 and nothing negative about it.

Let us know what you decide on, it is always fun to see someone acquire a new machine.

BATIKQLTR
Thanks for sharing. So far, the Designer II looks pretty good, but I plan on looking at quite a few machines before I finally decide. I've heard a lot of good things about the HQ16 too. I'll definitely post again once I make a purchase!
I also have a Bernina 640E it is the most wonderful Machine I have had I had a Husq Viking Designer I and couldn't get rid of it soon enough every time I needed service it was at least a 3 week wait. I also have a HQ 16 and would never trade it for anything.
Let me know if I can be of further help to you, Good Luck in your purchase I'm sure you will check them all out.
Ok I admit it I have a huge bias.....I love love love Bernina's and recommend them highly. I have my starter machine still from the 70's. It is in semi retirement but it still runs like a charm. I have a 440qee, and it does embroidery, but it is my main machine for all sewing and quilting. I also have a Bernina 1300 serger that I use more and more all the time. I love my machines, they are so effortless to use. Now that Bernina has it's new 830 series the older Artista and Aurora models are coming down in cost, but your budget sounds like it would be more than enough. I have a great dealer and although she is a two hour drive over the mountain I find it worth the drive. Before you decide, just test drive a 440, meet you local dealer and see if you don't fall instantly in love as well.
Your quilts are beautiful! I would suggest that you check out Janome.com for a new sewing machine. I know several people who have the 6600 and 4900 and they LOVE them. I have a small 3050 and love it! Janomes are work horses and cost considerably less than some of the other brands out there. I just don't think you can go wrong with a Janome. Good luck in your search! Dayleen
I have a Janome 9000 which is old compared to the new machines now aday or should I say out dated. But Janome you can now designe right on your computer and it goes right to your machine. I have the old Digitizer 2000 which doesn't even have up dates no more, But my machine will quilt anything you put infront of her.
I love my janome, check out there web site. I agree I have had it for near 10 years now and not a bit of trouble,

But everyone has their fav. So just shop around for what ever suits you. Happy Shopping. You lucky girl
I have a Janome 6600 and am in love with it. Try one out at your local dealer , along with others you might be interested in, and then it's easier to make a decision. When I got my machine, I made a list of things that were important to me, and the Janome filled everyone of them and then some. Have fun! What a nice gift!

Judy
With that kind of budget I'd be tempted to buy two machines, a dedicated quilting machine and a dedicated embroidery machine. And maybe even a reasonably priced serger if I had any left over. I am going to get the Janome 6500 sometime during this tax season. Since the 6600 is out the 6500s have dropped into my price range. One of my friends has the 6600 and it's all that and a bag of chips.

Seriously though, buying a machine is a whole lot like buying a car, what suits me may or may not suit you and you should go to your dealer and test drive the machines yourself.
Scissor Queen - I just wanted to let you know that I've heard from several people that the 6500 has a couple of glitches that the 6600 has overcome. I don't recall what they were tho. Just wanted to for warn you, so you could check on that. I want a 6600 someday, but will wait until my kids are grown and I can justify it a little easier. Dayleen
I'll check it out! Thanks for letting me know!
Your quilts are lovely! I especially like the Blue Bear Claws, absolutely wonderful!

I would highly recommend the Bernina 630e. It is a fabulous machine for piecing (it has the 5mm oscillating hook which makes the beautiful heirloom quality straight stitch Bernina is famous for) and does beautiful embroidery, has the bonus of the optional BSR foot, and will fit into your budget nicely!
Hi CJ! I was browsing around and found your comment. I really like this site. I bought some fabric and thread from CT recently and really am impressed with it. I wish they had more variety of fabric but overall, think they are pretty great. Have a wonderful day!!

RSS

Country Fair

New & Exclusive! Country Fair Collection just $6.96/yard Shop now »

Chambray Tonals

New & Exclusive! Chambray Tonals just $6.96/yard. Shop now »

© 2019   Created by CT Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service