Quilt With Us

Hi everyone: I just joined this group and am looking forward to learning and trading tips with other machine quilters. I have been sewing and machine quilting on and off for 25 years. Since retiring last year, I'm now able to spend a lot of more time in my sewing room and as a combined retirement and 50th birthday gift, my husband has suggested I buy myself a new sewing machine. My budget is $5,000. and I would like to buy a good quality machine primarily geared towards quilting, but I'd also like to experiment with embroidery. I figure my budget is large enough to also let me purchase some sort of quilting frame set up as I'd like to quilt my larger quilts at home instead of farming them out. I'd love to hear any recommendations from experienced machine quilters. I have my eye on the Husqvarna Quilt Designer II and the Pfaff Performance 2056 but I'm confused over the various quilting frame systems. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Attached are a few samples of my quilts.

Views: 942

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have a pfaff, it is an older model with the embroidery attatchment.(12) years it is a 7570
.I would love a new one with a little more updated computer adaptability....However I will only buy a pfaff and will NOT trade this one in....It is rock solid, a wonderful work horse and nearly problem free. I LOVE IT. your Quilts are absolutly wonderful.
I got a Janome 6600 in August and I did a lot of research first. I tried Vikings, Pfaffs, Berninas and I think something else, but I kept coming back to the Janome. I'n not sorry! It's a fantastic machine, met all my needs (quiet, lots of light, easy to thread) Every time I sit down in front of it, I grin! "This is MINE!" Do give Janome a look over, I know them make some machines that are more geared to embroidery than the 6600.
This is only my opinion on machines. If there is a quilt show you go to that is the best place to try every machine under one roof. And sometimes you can get a deal on floor models too.
Congrats to you, on retiring, turning 50 and having the time to do what you wan to do! I'm certainly no expert but I recently purchased a Babylock machine from the Quilters Dream Series The Espire - I absolutely love it. Babylock has a nice line of machines. I've had no problem with mine. I upgraded from The Quilters Choice (my friend bought it from me and loves it). You may want to consider 2 machines with your budget. Think about it, if you're doing embroidery you cannot piece or Visa Versa.

Just my 02 cents on this Tuesday morning.
Hi - to chime in on this - I have a Pfaff 1467 from 1991. I was at Houston Quilt Market and took an afternoon to try all the different machines which gave me a major brain cramp! The thing I love most about it is the attached even-feed foot which can be lifted out of the way whenever you want without replacing feet. My piecing improved 100% because the even-feed foot kept the pieces from shifting even though I do pin them. It's also great for quilting. About 5 years ago I had an emergency when the Pfaff needed a minor repair and I had a donation quilt deadline in a day. I left the Pfaff for repair and bought a Janome MemoryCraft 4800 that came with a plexiglass extension. It was and still is wonderful! The bobbin holds quite a bit of thread and I especially like it for free-motion quilting - the tread tension almost never needs adjusting.

Are you looking for a long-arm or one to sew "regular" stuff on as well?
I'm looking for a regular machine that's geared towards quilting, but has a few embroidery stitches. I'd like to be able to also put it onto a frame to quilt large quilts. I plan on keeping the Bernina I have now as a back up to do mending and other sewing. There are so many different machines, it gets a little confusing and it seems everyone has their favourite brand. I guess the best thing to do is to "test drive" quite a few of them, as has been suggested. The buying experience will be an adventure in itself! :)
Hi Cecile - I forget what the name of it is, and I'm sure someone in this discussion will know, but there is a system that you can use with your regular machine - you put the machine on a pad with ball bearings that allows you to move it like a long arm, then there are the poles used to roll and hold your quilt. I was going to get one, but my house is just tooooo small.
Yes, that's exactly what I'd like. If anyone knows what this system is called, please let me know.
I figure by now you already have the machine of your dreams and hope what ever you bought you are happy with it. I don't know about the Designer II from Viking but I can tell you thaqt I hated my Designer I for machine quilting and would never recommend it. I ended up buying a Bernina 440 with a BSR foot and love it like crazy. I now just use the Viking for piecing and regular sewing only.
Hi Marla: So glad you're happy with your Bernina 440. I ended up purchasing the very same machine, also with the BSR feature and I'm extremely happy with it. I've been having great fun... I also bought a Proflex Super Quilter machine frame and am trying the Bernina 440 out on it. However, I don't think I'll be completely happy until I have a true long arm machine, so am currently investigating those. We're presently on the road in our RV and spent a few days in the Tampa area, so I attended the Original Sewing & Quilting Expo while there - fabulous show. I got to "test drive" several long arms and so far, my favourite is the Tin Lizzie 18, but it's a fair chunk of money, so a big decision. Thanks for the tip on the Husqvarna. I'm so glad I decided on the Bernina.
I want a long arm too some day. Definitely won't be any time soon. I lean toward the HQ16 more and more but will don't know for sure. I don't have the super quilter machine frame. Would it be worth the cost? I am managing quilting with the BSR pretty well right now. Blessings!
The Super Quilter frame is a great frame. I bought mine for just under $800 Canadian dollars which is a pretty good price. I talked to a dealer at the Tampa Quilt show who sells both the HQ's and the Tin Lizzies and he said he recommended the Tin Lizzie over the HQ because the HQ sits on plastic rails which tend to wear out over time, whereas the Tin Lizzie is all metal construction. The only problem I'm faced with now that I have the Super Quilter is that dealers don't like to sell their machines without the frames. I guess they just work better together with their own frames than with someone else's although the Super Quilter people told me their frame would accept most other machines. Only problem we can see is that the carriage will only support about a 14" long machine base unless it's o.k. to overhang somewhat - and that I'm just not sure about.

RSS

Country Fair

New & Exclusive! Country Fair Collection just $6.96/yard Shop now »

Chambray Tonals

New & Exclusive! Chambray Tonals just $6.96/yard. Shop now »

© 2019   Created by CT Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service