Quilt With Us

Can anyone tell me exact;y ow to cut a border on the lengthwise grain?
I have a pattern that is telling me to cut this border on the lengwise
because the pattern on the fabric is a one-way design. One lady told me
to cut it first across the crosswise grain, then refold it. I guess I don't
understand where this fresh cut is to be folded to. Any informataion you
all can send would be greatly appreciated. I have everything else cut for
this quilt, except this border which is really a problem right now.

Views: 4955

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Dolly,

The only thing that I can think of regarding what the lady told you is that she was suggesting that you square up your fabric first by cutting a straight edge on both ends of your crosswise grain, or selvage to selvage. Then when you fold your fabric to cut on the lengthwise grain, you will be matching up your newly cut edges and your "fold" will run across the cross grain.

The reason for doing this is to be sure that the design you want to capture in your border stays true and lined up rather than running off at an angle or into a seam because your strip wasn't completely square with the design.

Also, when Vicki said "measure the width across that you want sip it" , I believe she meant to type "snip" it, or in other words, use sharp scissors to cut directly into your fabric on the lengthwise grain to start your "tear" and then literally rip the fabric with your hands. The fabric should rip perfectly along one thread all the way down.
Hi Dolly! Thought I would offer my 2 cents worth here. I've done borders like this before many times but to explain via written info is a little more of a challenge than showing but here goes.

The lenghwise grain is a cut parallel to the selvege. You first measure through the center of your quilt top to find the length or width (which ever side you are cutting first) and that will be your first border. Then, before you cut the border, make sure you center the design for that cut. Now, do the same for the rest of your borders. The lengthwise grain is best on all outside borders as it is the strongest weave of fabric and thus, less likely to stretch out of shape before its quilted. That "straight-of-grain" border keeps the body of the quilt protected from stretching and prevents the border from becoming "flappy" before quilting which is every Longarmer's nightmare. Good luck!!!
Dolly,
When ever I cut on the lengthwise grain I start by opening my fabric up and then refold it legthwise with the selvage edges aligned together. For example, if I were making a border that needed to be 108" long, I would measure out a length of fabric 108" and cut it from selvage to selvage (or cross grain). Then I would open this piece up and align the selvages on one side, folding it in half so that I have a piece that is 45" by width of fabric. Sometimes I have to pin the selvages together while I am working with them to make sure they stay even when I am working with this long of a border. Then I would fold this in half lengthwise again to make a piece that is 22 1/2" by wof, again making sure that the edges are aligned. Now I lay it on my cutting mat and remove any pins that I have added. I can now remove the selvage edge from the side from which I will be cutting. Measure over the width of your border and cut your first length of fabric border strip. (At this point I open this strip up to make sure there are no elbows or bends where the folds were . . . just in case) Then cut the rest of the strips. (Hint: If I have enough fabric I add an inch or two to the length of the border needed just to be on the safe side.)

As Paper Plate Mari says, make sure your pattern is centered in this strip if that is important for the overall design.

If you are working with a length of grain stripe, I recommend cutting through only one layer of fabric at a time to make sure you are cutting along the same place on the stripe for the whole length.

Hope this helps. Cat Lady
Ladies -- Thank you all so much for your input on cutting border fabric on the lengthwise grain. I think I understand more on how to do this. Now, if I can cut a straight cut on the lengthwise, I'll be in business! I'm going to print out your replies, and put them in
my "Quilting Info" Notebook. Hopefully, the next time I have to do this, I can just look at your replies and know how to do this.
Thank you all so much again, for your input. This forum is so neat; I just joined and know I'll love it. Seems like I always have a
question or two, and this is the place to come! Thank You!!
Your Welcome. Cat Lady
When I cut my borders I first need to know how long and wide it will need to be. This is often the average of the middle length and the two outside. When I cut, I use a 24 inch by 6 and half rotary ruler. I do not fold the desired length under the ruler. I only cut the double layer as I move the fabric along, under the ruler, over the cutting mat, as I cut the desired width and length. Every time I tried to use a smaller ruler or more folded layers the wave developed. The wave will often appear more towards the center fold, even with two layer method. So always try to make sure you are as squared as possible ( that is why she said cut across the crosswise grain first to make sure it straight ) and always even up the wave problem, if necessary before you cut the next strip.
I also love the Fiskars 9519 24" Rotary Ruler. It is Rotary Cutter and Ruler all in one. I helps make straight strips. I found it at Wal-Mart it is not cheap it cost $35 and up.
Linda, Personally I usually cut my borders with just the one fold, as I do not like the inaccuracy I personally have when I start cutting through more layers. I cut all my fabric with only the single fold or even just one layer at a time (when cutting fat quarters) regardless of what the directions say. If the fabric is folded true to crossgrain, I rarely have the bends or wave or elbows. It may take a little more time, but I find the accuracy I have makes up for it. And if I miscut I have not wasted more than one srtip of fabric.
This may help you out.........http://www.sewaquilt.com/fabric-grain.html

RSS

Isle of Enchantment

Love jewel tones? We've got the collection for you! Introducing Isle of Enchantment, just $5.96/yard.

SHOP NOW»

Prim Hollow

Fall and Halloween will be here before you know it! Get your home ready with these fun and primitive designs. Just $5.96/yard. 
SHOP NOW »

Polyester Thread Sale

Save up to 30% on EssentialPRO Polyester Threads. SHOP NOW»

© 2014   Created by CT Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service