Quilt With Us

I got started on my blocks this afternoon. This is so much fun that I don't want to stop! Pictured are C-12, K-2, M-12, and I-3. Also completed but not pictured are A-6, M-10, and C-3. Yes, I used my artistic license to interpret K-2. Mrs. Hansen (7,0,0,177)
Modified on 2-22; I removed the first pictures I posted full size, replaced them with smaller images. Pictured are C-3, A-6, K-3, M-5, E-8, E-9, J-4, and D-13.

Views: 146

Replies to This Discussion

Pictured are H-9, K-5, L-9, and M-4. My simplified version of H-9, another pinwheel based block. K-5 was another paper-pieced effort. No, I don't have a stockpile of completed blocks; I'm just trying to keep my focus and follow this project through. Another way to put that would be to say that I am obsessed and not doing anything other than sewing and working ;-0 When DJ is done I'm going to seek some balance in my life. Edna (148, 0, 0, 3098, 2)
Edna,
Once again, they are just beautiful! How's the puppy?
The farther you go on your blocks, the more difficult they seem to be getting. This is making me nervous!! Like always, I love the way you combine your fabrics.
Edna, your blocks continue to amaze me. Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful!!!!! Only 21 to go before you're finished with the center of the quilt. I must say that your photography skills outshine mine, too! The flash on my camera seems to washout the details of my fabrics. My blocks look much better in person than they do in pictures. Any photography tips? WOW!!! It sounds pretty serious when you say you're going to seek some balance in your life. Let me know how that's accomplished!!
With good lighting, your digital camera will take very nice photos with no flash. When I am taking pictures of people I prefer no flash because front-on lighting is very unflattering. When shooting my blocks or quilts I use a flash because front-on lighting improves or eliminates the shadows from folds, seam lines, wrinkles. To reduce the wash-out effect, get your camera and flash farther away from your subject and use the zoom. I've been lining my blocks up on my table, then standing on a chair so my camera is about 4 feet from the blocks. Then I zoom until the blocks nearly fill the frame, and shoot. Edna
Edna,
Thanks for the photo tips. I guess DH needs to give me another digital camera lesson. I have no idea how to change the settings on the camera. I just aim and shoot (from about a foot away). I can't guarantee that my blocks will look better next time, but I'm trying.
Janet, your blocks always look beautiful. If they are better than the pictures reflect, they must be prize winning!

Pictured are H-8, J-3, J-5, and M-11. It feels like slow going at this point, so I'm trying to give myself a little variety by beginning the work of adding sashing pieces and replacing some of the first blocks I made. I hope everyone is having a good weekend. Edna (152, 0, 0, 3195, 2)
Have I seen that brown striped fabric in Janet's quilt? I've learnt more from studying your blocks than from looking at the pictures in the book. It has happened more than once that I decide to make a block that I had discarded from Jane's quilt after seeing how pretty it looks in your version. Congratulations. You are doing a fantastic job.
More beautiful blocks! I like the reversal of the fabrics in H-8. I think your version looks much better than Jane's. I also like the way you framed M-11. Let's face it; I like them all. How boring is adding sashing pieces? Or is it a nice time to revisit each of your blocks? Carmen, I have some brown striped fabric, but not that one. That's a good use for striped fabric; stripes aren't my favorite.
Cutting the sashing pieces is on beyond boring, so I'm taking that two or three fabrics at a time. Sewing them on is good. Carmen, I was thinking I had used that brown fabric on my B-13, but that was a different one. Janet and I have many of the same fabrics, or same print but different colors.
Obviously Janet is right. I mean ... she should know, right? I went back to look at her blocks and she has a similar one ... or one that looked similar to me. She played with the stripes just like you did and I thought it was the same fabric. You two are doing a great job. I only have to bind my Mother-in-law's quilt and hope to get back to my DJ blocks soon. I keep thinking about my sashing. As Jackie suggested, I would like to start adding it on before I have too many blocks and it becomes very boring. I wanted to put some color that would set the blocks off and at the same time bring them together, instead of having them floating in the same fabric as the background. Or at least put colored corner stones. Any suggestions???

RSS

© 2021   Created by CT Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service