Quilt With Us

I am a "hand quilter only" and would like to meet others who feel the way I do about this seemingly lost art. I've been quilting for nearly 30 years, and while I love what machine quilting can accomplish, I just am passionate about hand quilting. Call me crazy. I live in rural upstate NY.

Views: 625

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Cat Lady,
I so enjoyed your description of covering one finger and then using another - I do the same even though I try to force myself to use the covered one. It was like that when I first started using a thimble - it just felt like something that shouldn't be there, but eventually I learned and now wouldn't be without one. And yes, I have to admit that while I mostly hand quilt and wouldn't think of machine quilting anything large (or for myself) I do machine quilt table runners. The baby quilts, well those I still hand quilt. I find that the mom's treat the hand-done ones better. Loved hearing from you. Joyce
Hi Joyce--I put 1./2 tsp. or so in some apple sauce with cinnamon sugar added for good measure--you need it to get the turmeric down--twice a day, when I think of it. Also Walmart sells turmeric capsules in their vitamin department, but I think the pure stuff is better. Now that my hands are better, I use the capsules once a day and the spice once a day. It sure has helped me. I still get stiff and sore some, but the pain is gone and my fingers have straightened up some too! I also have heard of using cherry juice, but haven't tried it.. And some people say raisins soaked in gin will help--maybe you just don't feel it as much! As I said before, I decided to try one can just to see and I had results before the can was gone.
As for pricked fingers, I put a couple of layers of duct tape about the size of a dime on the end of my finger and that works for me better than the pads you buy. They're thinner and easier to work with and VERY cheap. Happy quilting!
Thanks for "the recipe." I'm going to give it a try. I will also look for the capsules in the Vitamin Shop catalog. Anything to help the fingers is worth trying, especially if it works. Thanks again. Joyce
I have just discovered hand quilting about 2 years ago. I live in Arkansas and have been quilting for about five years. I used to work and thought that machine quilting would be a way to get quilts done quickly because I didn't have a lot of time between work and family. Now I stay at home and really am getting into hand quilting. I used to use the rocking method, but for a week now I have been retraining myself to use Jean Brown's method. I still have to work at it but it is coming along. The reason I switched was I have carpel tunnel and I like the portability factor to her method. Wow! thirty years of experience you must be quite awesome. I have always loved quilts but I find my true passion is in those that are hand quilted, I don't care what anyone says they are way above anything else. I think some people would be surprised at how quickly one can hand quilt a quilt.
What is the Jean Brown Method? As I am self taught in most areas, I'm not sure what method I am. I guess I use the rocking method but I have carpel tunnel and arthritis in my fingers. When my hands started acting up I did buy a book to try to teach myself quilting my machine. What a mess that was. I can't figure out how they get all that bulk under a sewing machine needle and keep nice straight rows. And those long arms are way out of my budget. Joyce
http://www.quilterstv.com/?bcpid=1463341049

This is the link to Jean Brown' method of hand quilting that is posted on Quilter's TV. I have only practiced for a week and I have got it down pat. She uses a deep recess thimble and aunt becky to quilt in hoop. I find I can quilt much longer since the only movement is moving your finger back and forth underneath the quilt. I am really loving it. If you query Jean Brown she has a website where she sells the thimble and aunt becky. Her husband makes the hoops which are quite simple. Since you have the hinterberg, it wouldn't take of an investment. The video is really good and she will even answer your email or phone call if you need help! I love to find great people still out there in this evil old world.
Have you watched Jean Brown's video on her method of hand quilting yet? I will add the post again if you missed it

http://www.quilterstv.com/?bcpid=1463341049

I find it is much faster than the rocking method and my hands are not getting tired and numb like they used to.
Budsgram: Watched the video this a.m. Remember seeing the program when it aired on TV awhile back. I have the Aunt Becky thimble somelplace, will have to find it and try it out and see how I like it. I already know I do not quilt the same way many people do as the thumb on my quilting had is about an inch shorter than the one on my other hand, and I cannot use it to bounce the needle off of when it surfaces froma stitch (there is no way I can contort my wrist to make the short opposable diget work).

Thanks for reminding me of this method and video. It might save my under finger.
--Cat Lady
Thanks so much for sending the Jean Brown video website. I watched it several times over and will definitely try that. Will definitely get an Aunt Becky. Wow, thanks a million. Joyce
I keep discovering all these wonderful groups of quilters I want to be a part of. Here with the "hand quilters" I find many kindred spirits though I have done very little quilting. By that, I mean I haven't finished a lot of my own quilts. I love to hand piece though, and my mother and best friend finished my quilt tops for me. Everything all of you have said about loving the process and expressing your passion speaks to my heart. I learned all of this from my Mom long before I ever sewed my skirt to the couch as a little girl watching her and my Grandma sew their exquisite creations. It's probably the awe I feel at their talent and the sorrow at their passing that makes me feels somewhat incapable of carrying the torch but there is no denying the love of the art that I inherited. So- I figure the more I work at it, the more I practice and listen and learn the better I will get at it, right?
It is all about practice. It is also good to have memories. When I quilt I often wonder what it was like to make quilts a hundred years ago, before rotary cutters and all the new gadgets out there today. I remember when my husband's grandmother made my daughter and son a quilt out of scraps of fabrics she had leftover from the clothing she made for herself. I had a friend who made a quilt out of her children's baby clothing. Life is so stressful sometimes I just like to sit sometimes and quilt and forget about everything going on, and enjoy the moment.
My sentiments exactly. Every day that I am home I can be found in my studio doing something quilt related. Hand quilting is peaceful, it takes me out of where I am and off to a time when this was a normal thing to do. I have the classic music station on my radio and I'm quilting away. For that period of time, I am in my own little world. I have several very old quilts that were made by my husband's mom. She was a quilter. Unfortunately by the time we married she was already in declining health so we never got to share any of that great time together. But I have her quilts. Some are in pretty bad shape because they've been "used." Before winter is over this year I want to begin taking them apart, stabilizing the fabric that I'm sure is made of old clothes from that era, and re-quilting them to give to each one of his daughters as a memory of Grandma.

RSS

Country Fair

New & Exclusive! Country Fair Collection just $6.96/yard Shop now »

Chambray Tonals

New & Exclusive! Chambray Tonals just $6.96/yard. Shop now »

© 2020   Created by CT Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service