Quilt With Us

Hi everyone, Although I have quilted over 30 years on and off, and have sewn since I was 14 years old I still quilt the old fashion way, except I do machine piece. I learned about 25 years ago from my DDMIL . It is time my fingers are saying you can't quilt anymore by hand, LOL
But even all you newbies here how are you learning, and us older ones too.
Even after all these years I still have trouble making a mitered cornor :(

Views: 34

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Me? I learned from quilting books and patterns, as well as watching some quilt shows on TV. After watching my first TV show (Quilt In A Day) I asked for a quilt book and some tools (I already was using a rotary cutter and mat) for Christmas that year. My DH forgot to get me any fabric and at the time I did not have a stash, so I spent Christmas Day reading that pattern book (it came with a tool) from cover to cover. The next morning I just dove in head first after visiting the fabric store (no local quilt shops at the time) and made my first quilt top. The next one that I made was a pattern that I designed myself, though I didn't know at the time that it already was a pattern. lol I just went from there.

Mitered corners are very easy using the technique that I learned. You sew to within 1/4" from the end, then (with the needle down) release the presser foot and turn the quilt 90 degrees and sew off the edge of the binding. Then you fold the binding strip up at a 45 degree angle, then back down over itself parallel with the edge. Start sewing at the spot where you sewed off the edge until you get to the next corner and repeat. When you've finished stitching it and joining ends, you'll fold the binding over to the backside. When you fold back the corners it will automatically go into a beautifully mitered corner. I usually stitch those corner folds down. It's like magic and the technique never fails to work if done that way.

Cornwoman
That is the way that we learned to do mitered corners in my class. I sure am glad that I learned the technique. My big problem is that I forget how to correctly make the ends meet to finish the binding. Ugh.
I can't seem to get corners right on my binding.
Thanks Cornwoman, I watched the vid they have here on CT . Hope they don't get rid of it so I have it for furture reference. Just seems I draw a block in my mind when I go to do it.
Great idea on mitering corners. I've always done it by marking a 45 degree angle with a rotary ruler, then cutting. I'll have to give this one a try.
I learned mostly from books and magazines. There has also been some trial and error. I had a good background in sewing to start with though and I figured anything that didn't have set in sleeves couldn't be all that hard. LOL
I have only hand quilted one quilt what ones I have machine pieced I have had machine quilted. The one that I hand quilted I did many years ago. My grandmother had 5 granddaughters and had decided to make a quilt for each of them. Since I was the closest one to her and spent a lot of time with her she decided to make mine first. She purchased the squares and cross stitched the preprinted pattern and had just finished sewing the squares together when she had a stroke. She was never able to make another quilt so I received the only one that she had made. Being a new mother at that time and spending a lot of time at home I decided to learn how to quilt. A more experienced quilter from our church brought me her quilt frame to use and showed me how to quilt it. It took me a year to finish it and my son thought it was a great tent to play under but it was and still is a reminder of my grandmother.
Hi Annette: I learned my basic sewing skills in a Home Economics class in High School and as a young girl, got very interested in sewing my own clothing. As I matured, that evolved into home decor sewing which I still do - drapes, cushions, upholstery, etc. About 15 years ago, I developed an interest in quilting and basically self-taught myself by reading books and following instructions. After retiring from full-time work last year, I took a Quilting 101 class at a local Quilt Shop, to refresh my skills and pick up some new tips. I do machine quilting but I also like to do hand applique and plan on trying my hand at foundation piecing because of the flexibility it offers with shapes and patterns. Curved piecing is my nemesis! LOL! :)
Hi. I am 47 yo and a very new quilter. I took a beginning class at my local quilt shop last July and I am totally hooked. I love to piece, but don't have a whole lot of confidence yet in machine quilting. I have quilted on my embroidery machine and it turned out very pretty, but I have had several people tell me that doing it that way was cheating. Oh well, I like it. I am eager to learn more!!!
My local shop has a group of hand piecers! I can't imagine (it takes me like 2 weeks to do binding). Women have been machine quilting since the invention of the sewing machine. It is not cheating, it is being practical and efficient. Besides, its more durable.

Someday if I ever have a place to set up a frame, I might hand quilt, but it will probably take a decade or two to finish.
Hello everyone. I learned to sew at my grandmother's knee! Literally. She was a home ec teacher so I didn't have much choice! Didn't like it at all!!! Many years later I saw a quilt at a friend's house that I fell in love with and the rest as they say is history!. I am largely self taught, books, magazines and the occasional class. And lots of errors!!!!! I keep my first project (a lap quilt) hanging on the wall in my sewing room as a reminder. It is a wonderful craft. I love making them as gifts as well as a thank you for our soldiers who are hospitalized here in Montana.
Hi Annette - I'm going to date myself bigtime here, but I have been sewing my own clothes since I was in HS where I had a wonderful Home Ec teacher - she even made us iron the patterns before we pinned them to fabric! So, for the US Bi-Centennial when quilting shows and patterns were all over the place and I had just had my second child, I dove right in. I started with a rail-fence pattern and I've recently found a couple of the first large quilts I made....yikes! Orange and brown polyester....what was I thinking?????? I'm still learning new things like paper piecing and the jury's still out on that one for me. I much prefer to applique and quilt by hand, but I'll be the winner of the UFO group if I do, so I really jumped into machine work - it's faster, but to do it well, I found out, is not fast. I do manage to keep the UFO pile down that way. It'll also help the arthritis if I use the machine. Love your pooch and let us know how you do with the mitered corners!

RSS

Country Fair

New & Exclusive! Country Fair Collection just $6.96/yard Shop now »

Chambray Tonals

New & Exclusive! Chambray Tonals just $6.96/yard. Shop now »

© 2019   Created by CT Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service