Quilt With Us

Hi, I don't know if I am alone in this problem or not. I have so many projects that I want to do, that I'm just sitting here looking at them. I have about 4 different projects started and I keep going back and forth between them working on them. My husband is a total organization freak (a lot like Monk) and told me to quit starting new ones until I finished all I had started. I think that is a little extreme, but agree to some extent that I need a plan. Advice??

Views: 52

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've been shopping with CT for years, but just now joined this group. Reading the posts in this thread I feel very much at home. When I worked full time I usually had 2-3 UFOs. Thought when I retired I'd get it under control. Boy was I wrong. Retirement just gives you more time to shop. Now I average at least a dozen UFO's at any given time.

Have tried various organizational tricks from clear boxes, ziplocks, to do lists, etc. They do help me keep track just so that when I'm ready to work on a project, I can find the pattern, fabric, ideas, etc. The only things that really reduce the UFO load are to make time for them and clean out the sewing room. Specifically, when I feel the sewing room start to burst it seams, I'll spend a day or 2 doing a major cleanout and reorganization. I reevaluate every project - do I still really want to make this?? If not, the collected fabrics, patterns, etc go back into the stash. Partially finished projects can be donated to one of my local guilds for community service projects or sold at a yard sale. The remaining UFOs get tidied away. Then I make a commitment to myself that for x number of days I'll only work on finishing projects, then reward myself with time to sew on anything I feel like. An alternative is the 2-for-1 rule - finish two UFO's for each new project started.

Deadlines and fabric diets also help . I belong to a few local sewing groups that have monthly meetings and show & tell. Having something to bring motivates me to get projects finished. The usual fabric diet rule among my sewing friends is that you can only buy fabric to finish an existing UFO.

Hope this helps.
I like to have a few projects going at the same time. That way I can either sit at my sewing table and work or hand quilt in a comfy chair. Do what works for you.
My DH finally caught on when I mention 'UFO'. He thinks that I should start just one project at a time and then finish it to the end before taking on another one. So my response was, "Fine, then don't complain when I serve you hamburger 10 days in a row because I just bought a bulk of it and it should last 10 days". No more comments about my UFO's after that. Really, I don't have that many UFO's - the stuff I intended to knit, I gave them all away to a group of kids who were raising money for their annual trip to Washington DC by knitting hats and mittens. All my unfinished jewelry stuff I gave to some other kids who also needed to raise money for their school by having a yard sale. What I have left are stuff in the 'planning stage' - I have the cut-outs for a Sunbonnet Sue applique, but I haven't selected the fabrics yet; I have sorted my stash of upholstery fabric so I can make the bags and totes when I get in the mood to do them. I am trying to organize my sewing room so that all the materials for dresses are in one shelf and the quilting fabrics on another shelf. Honestly, I don't even remember where I have put my original project plan - which was to make a quilt for each of my nephews and nieces. They are all grown up now and have families of their own, so I don't think they'd miss it.
But then, I'd say that one is never a true quilter unless there are UFO's hanging around.
I have so many unfinished projects because I see something I want to make before I have time to finish the ones I already started. Not only do I have about 20 to 30 quilts in various stages of completion, but I have unfinished ones in sewing, knitting, crocheting, embroidery, plastic canvas, beads, and cards. The only thing I regularly finish is to sew one shirt for my husband for his birthday!
yes, I'm like you. I have used shear willpower to prioritize my projects and start working on one. Sometimes the goal is not to completely finish it, but to get to a certain point. For instance, I started a butterfly quilt ages ago for my daughter. I pulled it out and thought, I'll just get the top done. Then I put it aside and got on something else, which I completed.

I keep my UFOs in separate boxes, neatly stacked. And I keep an idea notebook, that I can tape photos/clippings in, so that I don't feel like I have to start every idea immediately.

RSS

Country Fair

New & Exclusive! Country Fair Collection just $6.96/yard Shop now »

Chambray Tonals

New & Exclusive! Chambray Tonals just $6.96/yard. Shop now »

© 2019   Created by CT Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service