Quilt With Us

The Pinwheel Block is comprised of Half Square Triangles (HSTs). This
week, we’ll start with the simplest form, using just four completed
HSTs. There are so many techniques for creating a HST, but this week
we’ll start with the two most common. Weeks 2 and 3 will be
demonstrations using some specialty tools and rulers out there to help
speed the process for you. Pick your favorite or try them all!

Check out our new EQ Pattern Freebies Page.  Here you'll find all the blocks and patterns we used throughout each weeks tutorial.  If you have EQ6, all you have to do is download the file and start to play!

Views: 993

Replies to This Discussion

I do not have an EQ6 and I was unable to get the file to download to my computer. How can I get the instructions for week one?
Phyllis, the EQ block is just an extra bonus and is not required to view the tutorial. Just click on this link to see the free tutorial.
Karen the second method for making the HSTs really works great thank you for starting this group.
I have found that if I press my seams open, when I am doing a pinwheel, the center stays nice and flat.
What is EQ6?
Hi Sherry, EQ6 is a design software for quilters - click here for more info.

However, you don't need it for any of this tutorial. I've just included the block in EQ's format as a bonus to those folks that use it.

Karen
Thanks for sharing the formula for determining the size of the square and how tot reduce the bulk in the center. Will use these tips often.
Hi Karen...Did it! Came out pretty nice. Thanks, a lot. You teachers are great. What a wonderful site...to work along with. Anne
My first try at a pinwheel block didn't come out as successful as I'd hoped. Three points meet very nicely at the center, but one is about 1/8" off which is so off I will not be satisfied at all with it. So, I guess I have to rip out everything and start over. I was so careful and I don't know what happened? I did the first method so I could do both. Maybe I will move on to the second method.
The disadvantage to the first method is that bias problem. There are too many opportunities to accidentally stretch it out of shape and not even realize it. Same goes with pressing - be sure you're not moving the iron around - just using the weight of the iron to press it out so it doesn't stretch. Let me know if the 2nd method works better for you.

Hi Karen - I am hugely disappointed because I was so careful at every step! I tried again on a new freshly cut one and same thing turned out. I will post photo - is this common on step #1 then? Tomorrow I will try step #3 and hope for better results. Thanks for feedback.

RSS

Country Fair

New & Exclusive! Country Fair Collection just $6.96/yard Shop now »

Chambray Tonals

New & Exclusive! Chambray Tonals just $6.96/yard. Shop now »

© 2020   Created by CT Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service