Quilt With Us

I know you all have rulers galore in your sewing stuff.  How often do you use them?  It's time to dust them off and give them another try.  I know I have many...mostly purchased at quilt shows when I've seen them demonstrated.  They always seem so cool when you see them in person, but then you get home and scratch your head in confusion....how did they do that?

So to continue with the Half Square Triangle discussion, I'm going to demonstrate two different specialty rulers - the Fons and Porter Half and Quarter Square Ruler and the Wonder Cut Ruler.  I've even shot some videos so you can see them in live action!  Click here for the tutorial and videos.

Take a look and tell me what you think...do you own either of these?  Do you love them?  Hate them?  Never use them?

Next week I'll show you two more tools. 

Views: 506

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Karen you did a fine job on showing How to use the rulers. Now I need to go out and get me one. Keep up the fine work. yolanda
I have the Fons and Porter Half and Quarter Square Ruler and that was the best instruction on how to use it. I swear when I bought it, I couldn't find any tutorials on "how-to". I have also never used it because I didn't understand how. Thanks for the help!! BTW- will you be demonstrating the Three-Color Pinwheel using Fons and Porter's ruler??
Barb, no I won't be demonstrating the fons and porter for the 3 color, because I couldn't figure it out. I only mastered the Wonder Cut for that particular block. Sorry!
Great instruction and video, thanks Karen. Will you be covering the Nifty Notions ruler?

I have to agree with Cat Lady about the outside bias edges. Even if you cut along the selvage you would still have your bias edges on the outside of the piece and than the block.
Hi Dianne, you and Cat Lady are correct about the bias. See my comment below. Sorry, I won't be covering the nifty notions ruler, but if you're interested in showing us how it works, we'd love to see it!
I was hoping you could help me!! I have it, but seldom use it. In my UFOs is a BOM which uses this ruler for every block. I'll have to learn it soon.
First time I used my wonder cut ruler. I also own the triangle wonder cut ruler. My pinwheels came out perfect and I love making them with the extra pinwheels. Thanks You made it so easy to follow.
Karen: I love the demos. And I love the three colored pinwheel. This has come just in time for a baby quilt I want to make for a friend. Many thanks. The tutorials were great. Joyce
I have been using the 'Easy Angle' for most of my triangle fabrics. When I first started quilting, my FIL (bless his sou) made me templates out of stainless steel - so I have 30/60-degree template, 45-degree, and even an equilateral triangle template. Of course, I had to trace those on the fabric before the rotary cutter came along, then cut the pieces by scissors. As the saying goes 'We've come a long way, baby" - all these helpful tools surely makes quilting much more fun now. Imagine if our grandma's had these things all along.
Karen, I'm so glad you started this group! I love the three color pinwheel too!
Char, I love your quilt. Is it a Karen Stone, Judy Neimeyer pattern or one you drafted yourself? Your fabric choices are wonderful.
Karen, thanks... I have own a Wonder Cut Ruler for a lot of years, and never knew how to use it. Your tutorial is well written and easy to follow. I think I can blow the dust of my wonder cut ruler and finally use it.

RSS

Country Fair

New & Exclusive! Country Fair Collection just $6.96/yard Shop now »

Chambray Tonals

New & Exclusive! Chambray Tonals just $6.96/yard. Shop now »

© 2019   Created by CT Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service