Quilt With Us

I am making a quilt for my DH for Christmas.  It has two different blocks, one is a 25-square patch block and the other block has a large white framed square.  I want to machine embroider with trapunto in the white square block.  I will be doing the trapunto before the quilting and I'll be quilting by machine (my home machine)

My question is:  Do I do the trapunto before I sew the blocks together, or wait until the quilt top is done?   My concern is how much the trapunto will change the block size.  The design is redwork, but is kind of intricate.

Has anyone else done trapunto on a quilt and what technique did you use?  Did you trapunto the separate blocks or after the quilt top was put together?  Did the quilt top size change much?  Any suggestions, critiques, etc., will be appreciated.

There are pics attached of the blocks and trapunto design.  The quilt will have 49 total blocks, 25 of them being the trapunto blocks.

Views: 205

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Dawn,

I've not personally done trapunto by machine, but my best guess would be to piece the quilt together first.

I found an online tutorial that hopefully will be helpful:

http://bit.ly/pC3IQ3

Thank you Benita.  That site was helpful.  Since I've already cut all the pieces out for the blocks, I won't have any way to allow for any shrinkage the trapunto may cause.  So, I'm going to do a test block to see how much, if any, shrinkage there may be.  I be using very thin batting for the trapunto, so (I hope), the shrinkage will be minimal.

Wish me luck??

Dawn

RSS

Country Fair

New & Exclusive! Country Fair Collection just $6.96/yard Shop now »

Chambray Tonals

New & Exclusive! Chambray Tonals just $6.96/yard. Shop now »

© 2019   Created by CT Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service