Quilt With Us

Hi, everyone,

Just joined tonite and excited to read all your discussions. I am in southern Chester County, Pennsylvania. Located in "Quilt Country" not more than 30 minutes from Lancaster. My interest is in learning to machine quilt, not with a long arm, I recently purchased a Bernina Aurora 440 QE with the Bernina Stitch Regular. I guess my question is how do you decide what designs to put on the quilt top? Is there a book that is helpful in starting this process? Please let me know as I have several wall hangings, table runners I would like to quilt. But I think fear about starting this has gripped me.

Views: 18

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Deb,

Welcome to the group! I too have a Bernina 440 with the BSR and have been using it for over a year now. I love it. I would recommend just starting out with meandering or stippling. It is easy and fun! Put some music on, get a glass of wine (optional) and get started! You can really get in the groove with this and it is so much fun. Later as you feel more comfortable with it, you can try tracing some patterns on some of the areas that may coorespond to the pattern of your quilt. Example would be stars on a Christmas quilt. Or you can quilt ifreehand in circles on a child's quilt that looks like bubbles. I use quilt pattern templates that probably are intended for hand quilting and trace them on the plain blocks or borders. Sometimes you just have to stare at the quilt for awhile and let it "talk" to you and then when you are ready, the ideas just come to you. Most of all, just have fun at it!
Hello, I am a new member, this is my first time!!! I also have a Bernina, and older one, but I love it. Don't be afraid to stipple, it is so easy and I find if I sing (sounds crazy) it helps because you have to breathe to sing, and therefore you are not so tense! Practice on a quilt sandwich first, then just go for it. I have been quilting for about 15 years, and I love it. I just put in for my retirement after working for the probate and family court for 33 years, kind of scary so I am looking for new outlets to help me adjust. My last day is July 31, so good luck with your quilting and let me know how it works for you

RSS

Country Fair

New & Exclusive! Country Fair Collection just $6.96/yard Shop now »

Chambray Tonals

New & Exclusive! Chambray Tonals just $6.96/yard. Shop now »

© 2019   Created by CT Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service