Quilt With Us

Hi All,
Are any of you interested in doing a project 'together'? We can start out small with a table topper, runner or door or wall hanging. Those that are interested let me know what type of project you are interested in and the length of time you want to complete it to show everyone. I also need to know if you are a beginner, inter or pro at quilting so I can pick something or maybe two projects that all will be able to complete. What do you think about this idea?

Views: 43

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'd love to do this! (although the name for this thread threw me for a loop!) *g*

My favorite is small projects like wall hangings etc, depending on the complexity, I'd probably want something between a week and a month to complete it and I'd say I'm an intermediate quilter.

Thanks!
I'd love to do this too. I prefer wallhangings right now, and somewhere between a couple of weeks to a month to complete would be great. I also am an intermediate quilter.
This sounds like alotta fun! Count me in! I like table toppers...wall hangings..anything! I'm an intermediate quilter.
Thanks for the input. It looks like a table topper or wall hanging - something small. I'll get my projects together and pick one out for us to make. I'll plan on posting by Feb. 1st. what the project will be and the fabric requirements. I'll title this Feb. project. Need to run now, thanks for joining in. Lauren
I've pick out a pattern - carpenters square - for our project. I picked this one because it is not difficult to piece and depending on your color choices, they will all look different....also it can be made in many sizes. I am now in the process of figuring out sizes and fabric amounts. Will get them posted soon.. so stay tuned!!! Everyone is welcome to join the Midwest Habitants in this project.
CARPENTERS SQUARE FABRIC REQUIREMENTS

24" x 24"
dark corners and binding 1/3 yd
bkg 2/3 yd
color 1 outer star 1/4 yd
color 2 outer star 1/4 yd
color 3 inner star 4" x 16" or 1 FQ
color 4 inner star 4" x 16" or 1 FQ
batting 28" x 28"
backing 28" x 28"
----------------------------------------------------------

32" x 32"

Dark corners and binding 1/2 yard
bkg 5/8 yard
color 1 outer star 1/3 yd
color 2 outer star 1/3 yd
color 3 inner star 5" x 25" or 1 FQ
color 4 inner star 5" x 25" or 1 FQ
batting 36" x 36"
backing 36" x 36"

40" x 40"

dark corners and binding 1/2 yd
bkg 7/8 yd
color 3 inner star 6" x 27" or 1 FQ
color 4 inner star 6" x 27" or 1 FQ
batting 44" x 44"
backing 44" x 44"

Notes:
In the pictures the bright colored quilt has the inner star with all the same fabrics….1 FQ will be enough for colors 3 & 4. No need for 2 FQ’s!

If you’d like a different size than listed above, please let me know by email at chiefsewsew@yahoo.com
And I’ll send you the amounts you’ll need.

Remember, you can always add a border or two to make the piece larger. However, I didn’t add any fabric for borders. If you choose to do borders and you need help with fabric amounts, please ask.

Next week I’ll give you the cutting and piecing directions.

Any questions---------please ask…..
Attachments:
I'm a little behind, but count me in too. I'm also an intermediate quilter and I prefer small projects like wallhangings. I'd like to have two to four weeks to finish it, depending on how complex the project is.
Chris,

There really isn't a deadline....just when you get it done. I'll leave the fabric requirements and ultimatly the directions here.

I think I'm going to make mine in spring colors. I'm tired of the darkness of winter here in IL, even though the sun is shining brightly this morning.
OK here are the instructions for making the Carpenter's Square wall hanging. If you have any questions, please ask.
God Bless.
Lauren
CARPENTER’S SQUARE by Lauren Eberhard

Size 24x24 will be the first set of numbers.
Size 32x32 will be the second set of numbers stated in ( ).
Size 40x40 will be the third set of numbers stated in [ ].

May I suggest that you print all the directions and highlight the size numbers that you are using to avoid using the incorrect directions.

24" x 24" Block size finished 3” x 3”

dark corners and binding 1/3 yd
background 2/3 yd
color 1 outer star 1/4 yd
color 2 outer star 1/4 yd
color 3 inner star 4" x 16" or 1 FQ
color 4 inner star 4" x 16" or 1 FQ
batting 28" x 28"
backing 28" x 28"
----------------------------------------------------------
32" x 32" Block size finished 4” x 4”

Dark corners and binding 1/2 yard
background 5/8 yard
color 3 inner star 5" x 25" or 1 FQ
color 4 inner star 5" x 25" or 1 FQ
batting 36" x 36"
backing 36" x 36"

dark corners and binding 1/2 yd
background 7/8 yd
color 3 inner star 6" x 27" or 1 FQ
color 4 inner star 6" x 27" or 1 FQ
batting 44" x 44"
backing 44" x 44"

Just a note before you get started. I am going to use slightly oversized pieces for the half-square triangles , so after sewing them you will trim to exact size needed. I find that this is easiest for beginners, and since many different level of quilters are making this wall hanging, I chose to give the directions that I feel will help everyone have a finished project they will be proud of. If you are an experienced quilter, you may cut your pieces at the block size + 7/8”. You may also use Thangles or any other method to make the HST.

Cutting: Cut 4 squares from dark fabric 3 ½”x 3 ½” (4 ½” x 4 ½”) [5 ½” x 5 ½”]. Label these A.
Put aside the rest of the dark fabric for binding.

Cut 12 squares from background fabric 3 ½”x3 ½” (4 ½”x4 ½”) [5 ½”x5 ½”]. Label these B.

Cut 16 squares from background fabric 4”x 4” (5”x5”) [6”x6”]. Label these C.

Cut 12 squares from color 1 fabric 4”x 4” (5” x 5”) [6” x 6”]. Label these D.

Cut 12 squares from color 2 fabric 4”x 4” (5” x 5”) [6” x 6”]. Label these E.

Cut 4 squares from color 3 fabric 4” x 4” (5” x 5”) [6” x 6”]. Label these F.

Cut 4 squares from color 4 fabric 4” x 4” (5” x 5”) [6” x 6”]. Label these G.

Piecing: On wrong side of all C squares *draw a line, ( I use a #2 pencil) from corner to corner. Also
draw from corner to corner on 6 D and 2 F.

*HINT: Use a sand paper board so your fabric won’t move when drawing lines.

Take 6 of C and the 6 D without the line on the wrong side and place right sides together
with C on top so you can see the drawn line. Sew a scant ¼” on both sides of the line on all six
pairs.
Repeat with 2 C and 2 F without the line on the wrong side.
Repeat with 6 C and 6 E without the line on the wrong side.
Repeat with 2 C and 2 G without the line on the wrong side.
Repeat with 6 D and 6 E. D will have the line drawn.
Repeat with 2 F and 2 G. F will have the line drawn.

Pressing: PRESS -- DO NOT IRON! First, press all the sewn pairs flat to set the stitches. Now cut ON THE
SOLID line to make 2 blocks from each pair. Place darker colored fabric on top and press
block open towards seam. Repeat for all sewn pairs.

Trimming: Measure each block and make sure it’s 3 ½” x 3 ½”. Trim if necessary.

Assembly: Following the picture, start in upper left corner with a dark square and go across the row.
Lay out the complete quilt on a quilt board and make sure all the pieces are in the correct
position. A picture with your digital camera can be a great help here. Once your blocks are
all placed correctly, sew together in rows, and then sew rows together.

Layering: Lay backing RIGHT SIDE DOWN on table. Gently stretch and secure. Lay batting on top and
smooth out and secure. Place quilt top right side up and smooth over backing and batting
and secure. Baste in your desired method. Quilt. LABEL!!! Post picture!!

Send me an email on what you liked and DISLIKED about this project at
Chiefsewsew@yahoo.com
I made a smaller (placemat) size Carpenters Wheel and gave them to my dad for Father's Day, last year. The next time I go out to visit, I'll try to remember to take my camera along.
That's a great idea.. I'm going to use mine for a table topper for the spring. I'm waiting to see some other color than WHITE! Ready for some colorful flowers.
God Bless and have a great day.
Lauren
I'm going to do the Carpenterssquare project along with all of you. I have lots of other projects in the mix but will take the time out to do this small project, it should be fun!
Julia

RSS

Country Fair

New & Exclusive! Country Fair Collection just $6.96/yard Shop now »

Chambray Tonals

New & Exclusive! Chambray Tonals just $6.96/yard. Shop now »

© 2019   Created by CT Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service