Quilt With Us

Here we go with Lesson 2 of the Perfect Points Sampler Pattern. This week's blocks are the Snowball and Sawtooth Star. The lesson focuses on maintaining straight diagonal lines within and between blocks. Yes, the positioning pin can help with that also!

The Sawtooth Star blocks have Flying Geese (four each of two different color combinations). You may make them the way the pattern describes or use the "no-waste" Flying Geese method. One of the members provided a link for directions that includes the math. This handout happens to be the one I used when I learned this method.

http://www.patchpieces.com/files/flyinggeese.pdf

Also, if you have not done so already, watch/read the five Flying Geese CT tutorials at:

www.connectingthreads.com/tutorials/quilting_tutorials.html

Mari's favorite ruler to make Flying Geese is the Flying Geese X 4 - No Math Ruler by Lazy Girl Designs. The ruler makes precise Flying Geese without having to do any math. CT also carries the Quilt-in-a-Day series  Mini-Ruler Set for making Flying Geese.

Trying different methods will help you find one works best for you. 

Some photos of member's blocks from Lesson One and photos of Lesson Two are now included in the slide show (no audio).

It's great to see members helping each other. I especially get excited when someone comments on improvements with their piecing! Keep up the great work!

Views: 2675

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

OK this is becoming addictive. I couldn't wait to try this block which is why it's midnight and I'm taking pictures (and I have to be up at 6:00 AM for work!)

Because I'm using fabric from my stash mine will be more scrappy so my two 8-1/2" blocks are two different fabrics. Hope that will work but it seems to look OK in combination with the other blocks. The rest of the week will be a busy for us so I'm glad I was able to get this week's lesson done and not get behind.
I think this tutorial will really improve my points -- I'm pretty happy with how they are coming out so thanks a lot Ann for organizing this!!!!

Carol I love your choice of fabrics. Blue and brown are one of my favorites.

I love how this is looking.  I almost did mine in blues and browns.  Instead, I used Audrey's Kitchen.  It has a deep and light blue, deep and light green and yellow colors.  I did not consider the large squares being different.  It really works well. 

Your fabric choices are coming together very nicely.

Gorgeous blocks, Carol! I like the two different colors.

And Carol, yours are gorgeous, too! Nice and bright for spring.

I finished mine already, too. What a bunch of overachievers we are.

Now i will finish putting together a quilt top, it's lap size, it should go quick.

Here's my lesson 2:

~Hopppy quilting~

Linda it looks like you stitched it all together.  I did too.....then re-read the instructions.  It was supposed to be stitched later.  Oh well, another work-around.

I almost sewed mine together too. I think it has something to do with how the rows will be sewn so I don't think it will be a big problem.

Great job and I love your pattern and color combinations.

Love the daisies Carol. So far every color combo has looked amazing.

Love Froggie's too.

Here's mine. I did have to rip a couple of times. First I tried to cheat and not use the pin placement- not good- ripit. Then I got the points perfet but put it on the wrong side- not good - ripit. 3rd times a charm.

Very nice Barbara. Love the soft blues and the designs.

They are all so pretty - love the blues and the daisies.  I think I'd like to make this in all your color combinations -- and think what great practice it would be.

Thank you so much for this tutorial.  It is exactly what I needed to get me back into my sewing room.  I had not done a flying geese set in so long when I went to sew them, I made every mistake that you could make.  I even forgot to change my needle!  I had a heavy one in from my last project.  It was making such large holes in the fabric.  When I took the stitches out to fix something, I noticed my error (after a few times, lol).  I tried to cheat and make my geese using the one stitch method.  It made them too thick to press nicely.  I don't recommend them for this project.

RSS

Country Fair

New & Exclusive! Country Fair Collection just $6.96/yard Shop now »

Chambray Tonals

New & Exclusive! Chambray Tonals just $6.96/yard. Shop now »

© 2019   Created by CT Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service