Quilt With Us

Lesson 4: Moving right along! Here is Lesson 4 of the Perfect Points Sampler. 

Ohio Stars: This week's lesson focuses on maintaining straight diagonal, horizontal and vertical lines within and between the two Ohio Star blocks. Quarter-square triangles (QSTs) are made with the grid method. Please feel free to experiment with other methods and share your experiences with the group.The two blocks are framed to fit in the 8" finished grid of the sampler. The framing strips are a slightly oversized in case your blocks are a little small. Square-up to the stated unfinished size. Check out the CT tutorial on QSTs called Stars - QSTs Variable Stars.

Pinwheel: This simple block will give you practice with intersecting diagonal lines and four quadrants that come together in points. To review how to "swirl" the seams on the back to help the block lay flat, watch the CT tutorial Intro to Half Square Triangles.

Resources: Please revisit the list of CT tutorials and related products in the posting notes for the Lesson 3 on March 20th for information on HSTs and QSTs.

Members' Photos: We will post more of your photos today in the members' photos slide show. Click on the link under the Perfect Points slide show or under the list of group members...both in the introduction area of the quilt along site.

Have fun! Thanks to all of you who have supported each other with complements and suggestions. Also, I feel excited and gratified when I hear someone's piecing is improving!Looking forward to hearing from you and seeing your photos.

PDF: This content is available as a PDF below called PP Sampler Lesson 4 Posting Notes.

Views: 1395

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

So straight and beautiful fabric!

Here are my pinwheel blocks.

Thank you again to Geri for helping me understand the back of the block and which seams to open up a little. It seems so obvious now.

I am attaching another pinwheel block I made a few weeks ago as part of a table topper. The point of the table topper was to give me experience with triangles. I had previously made 9 pinwheel blocks out of white and colored HST's and QST's (why they complicated it with QST's that was white on white is beyond me!) Thankfully, the project had LARGE pinwheels and large square blocks it joined to. Well, neither will be winning any prizes, but I love the colors on my table and my lap quilt. The experience told me I needed more formal "instruction" on triangles, and then I stumbled upon this quilt along. I joined late, but I'm glad I did. You can see the difference. This is one of the worst pinwheel blocks on that second project with triangles. You don't even have to look real close to see I don't have even "near perfect" points. There were 5 of these blocks, they did get somewhat better as I went along. Notice my 15th and 16th pinwheel blocks I've ever made for this Quilt -A- Long and you can see how much it has helped me improve!

I'm also beginning to notice which blocks may give me trouble and need to be ripped out as I sew them. I am placing a pin in them to remind me to look at them before I take them to the ironing board. I am also starting to use the marks on my 1/4" foot in front of and behind the needle to help me make these predictions. 

Does anyone have a snap on 1/4" foot they absolutely love. I wouldn't mind a clear one instead of an all metal one.

Attachments:

Wow! what a difference!.  Very well done, Joy.  My daughter makes a baby quilt every once in a while and then complains because she isn't very good - I told her that as many quilts as I've made over the years (good and bad) - I can always use help and practice.  I let her know that I was signing up for the Perfect Points lessons. She, of course, thinks her mother is a genius when it comes to quilting,  but wait until she sees my Perfect Points blocks!. 

Joy, I use a clear 1/4" foot  with a drop-down guide on my Viking (which I swear by), but have used my Featherweight with the normal foot and use magnets set up to give me my 'scant 1/4".

I just learned how to upload a picture so it shows up for everyone to see without clicking on a link. I didn't understand the directions in the QAL Guidelines, so I will share what I've learned here. Sorry I made everyone click on my links. Don't click upload files. What you want to click instead is the little picture icon in the reply to this toolbar. Select as usual and it will show up in the window for everyone to see.

oooo pretty pretty!  These are the fabrics I'll be using if I can ever get started!

Joy your points are perfect!

Done! I did a lot of unsewing on these. Made the mistake of using 2 different rulers--and I know better!! After  I was done realized I shouldn't have used the stripe since using the grid makes them go different directions. Oh well. I can live with them.

I didn't notice the directionality until you said something. There is a lot of movement in these blocks, which I like.

I think the change in direction just adds to the blocks.  Seems to accent the different directions that the QST's lie.  A "mistake" that enhanced the blocks for sure.

Just uploading my lesson 4 blocks under lesson 4.

I have one point cut off and there was nothing I could do about it.  I am guessing something happened when I squared up the QST, but being a novice, I'm not really sure.  I'll live with it.  Most of the point seem to be good and the lines are pretty lined up.  I'll take it:-)

Your blocks look nice. Like the colors. I totally understand about I'll live with it.

Love all the fabrics used - aren't these fun!  Nice job Joy and Sharon.

RSS

Country Fair

New & Exclusive! Country Fair Collection just $6.96/yard Shop now »

Chambray Tonals

New & Exclusive! Chambray Tonals just $6.96/yard. Shop now »

© 2021   Created by CT Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service