Quilt With Us

Help!!!

I have taken a beginner class in quilting awhile back. The quilt is finished except I now need to prepare the quilt to add the binding. I was told we square the quilt and then add binding. I cannot remember how to square the quilt. Someone please help, please give an explanation that I can understand!!!

Views: 104

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Ann, I don't know if I can be of much help. this is how I do it. get the largest square ruler that you have put it in the corner of the quilt then take a six by tweny-four ruler and but it up to that. then trim your quilt. I still have trouble squaring up my quilts but it always seems to work out. Hope this helps.

You tube will have some tutorials on how to square your quilt. Hope this helps :-)

Hi Ann,   This is how I do it...  

I use my old cutting mats that are worn out.  I probably have 8 or 9 of them.   I lay them out on the floor (not carpet) in a row,  as many as I need  to be longer than the quilt.    Then I lay my quilt edge on the mats.    I have an 8 foot  and a 4 foot metal straight edge ruler (you can get them at any hardware store)  and I lay the ruler on the quilt along the seamline of the border and then square the quilt up to the ruler using the seam as a guide.   Then slide the ruler over to the edge of the quilt and measure the distance from the seam to the edge of the quilt on each end.     Then you can use your rotary cutter and cut the entire quilt in one cut and it will be perfect.  :-)    I'm attaching some pictures so you can see.   I just happened to finish quilting a quilt this morning and need to square it.    I know someday I won't be able to crawl around on the floor to square up my quilts but for now,   doing it  this way makes nice straight quilts.   

Thank you, I will try that

RSS

Country Fair

New & Exclusive! Country Fair Collection just $6.96/yard Shop now »

Chambray Tonals

New & Exclusive! Chambray Tonals just $6.96/yard. Shop now »

© 2020   Created by CT Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service