Quilt With Us

I have been using a technique from Sharon Pederson's book "Reversible Quilts" for many years in order to make large quilts and quilt them in sections with my machine at home, then assembling them after quilting. Recently, my local quilting club asked me to teach them the technique for "Lap" quilting or "Quilt as you go". I have heard of other techniques, such as the "Cotton Theory" by Betty Cotton, but didn't feel like putting out $30 to buy the book because the reversible method has always worked for me. The attached Lighthouse Quilt is my most recent success in quilting a full size quilt at home (even lots of small stipple) in smaller sections.

Has anyone out there used the "Cotton Theory" or any other method of "QAYG" with any success?

Views: 3639

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Kathy, Your lighthouse quilt is beautiful!! And you say you quilted it in smaller sections, and then put it all together? How in the world????? I'll have to check out the book you recommeneded. That type of quilting sounds like right up my alley. I usually hand quilt. And the quilts I have made have all been baby quilts for the grandbabies coming along. But I sure would like to learn how to machine quilt. Didn't think I would have room to do this in my little space, but if you can do it in sections and then put them together, well that sounds fantastic! Anything else you can tell me about it? Guess I'd better be checking around for that book. Thanks
LIL
If you google "quilt as you go" you will come up with a wealth of information. I have done one quilt this way. Sure saves trying to shove a large quilt thru a "regular" sewing machine, and a LOT faster than hand quilting. However, my preferred method is still hand quilting.

Phyllis
I would have loved to learn to hand quilt, but carpel tunnel in both wrists makes machine quilting my preferred method. My biggest quilt yet, done in sections, was a king size that took me three years because of all the appliqué and fine stitching. I made myself do only one block per month, then I divided the quilt up into seven sections that were no wider than about 24 inches and used sashing to join the pieces. I have been very happy with the results. It takes a lot of planning, but isn't that what quilt making is all about? Why send your pieced quilt top off to a professional to finish? If you want to be a quilter you have to do the quilting yourself.
Hi, I am wanting to learn the technique and have checked out some books from the library. An older one is Lap Quilting with Georgia Bonesteel. Why not check your local public library and see what they have. My local lib has over 100 quilting books. After I have had the chance to really check a book out if I really like it, then I purchase it. Your quilt is beautiful. I am just waiting to get the nerve to try the quilt as you go.
I have both "Cotton Theory" (book and dvd) by Betty Cotton and "Machine Quilting In Sections" by Marti Michell. I've read the MQIS and scanned the CT books. I've even bought a roll of the CT batting, but haven't tried either one yet. When I work on depleting my old stash I was intending to try the CT method. At some other point, when I do a project involving more of the old stash, I want to try the MQIS method. Georgia Bonesteel's method is very similar to the MQIS method, only done in rows, where MQIS is done in sections.

I've never heard of Sharon Pederson's book before. How does her method work?? (BTW...beautiful quilt!)

Cornwoman
Sharon Pederson's technique is to make the quilt in blocks of "sandwiched" layers (top batting & backing), quilt the individual blocks; then join all the blocks with a very narrow sashing that can contrast with the blocks or blend with them. The backing can be completely different fabrics to make a reversible quilt, or they can all be the same fabric, to simulate a solid backing. I have used this method, but also gone beyond her technique to join bigger sections, so the quilt doesn't always have to be just small blocks.
That sounds very much like Georgia Bonesteel and Marti Michell's methods. The main difference between them is one is by the block & row and the other is sections of quilt. The Cotton Theory is to make a fully reversible quilt with the same pattern on the back as on the front but with different fabrics. She uses sashing to accomplish the connecting of the blocks where I believe Georgia and Marti use the unquilted edges of the blocks themselves.

Cornwoman
Thank you for the information on the Cotton Theory and Bonesteel's and Michell's methods. I didn't want to teach a class on "quilt as you go" without knowing if there were other, better methods out there. Sounds like they are all similar. I checked out your photos and really like your hand work. How's the weather in AZ these days? Kathy
You're welcome, Kathy! Like I said...I haven't tried any of the methods, but have scanned or gone through and did a quick read on them all because I was looking for an easier way to get my quilts quilted with less bulk.

Thank you for the lovely compliment on my hand work. It's my favorite.

Monday we had some pretty heavy patches of fog in the morning, which is highly unusual. The sun had come out and was very hot, so I was able to watch the steam rise from our rock yard in front of my window. It's been chilly, but not really cold in the day time...and sunny. Are you from AZ or did you live here at one time?

Cornwoman
I'm from Colorado, but my husband and I are always looking for interesting places to visit. We were thinking about volunteering at the Carlsbad Caverns National Park. It's nice to hear what the climate is like from someone other than the weather service; weathermen seem to have such short memories. If they forecast one thing today, tomorrow after they were wrong, we never hear a word about yesterday. It's one of those wonders of life.
I have made several table runners from the pattern called Madison Square and it is a quilt as you go project. I was amazed how easy it was and how fast it goes together. Lady C
What a darling quilt.

Thanks for sharing
Lisa Vancor

RSS

Country Fair

New & Exclusive! Country Fair Collection just $6.96/yard Shop now »

Chambray Tonals

New & Exclusive! Chambray Tonals just $6.96/yard. Shop now »

© 2019   Created by CT Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service