Quilt With Us

Have a great tip? Share it with your fellow quilters here.

Views: 1576

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

O my, I have to respond to this idea - magic. I used to spend so much time threading needles, it got to be frustrating. When I use this threader, it is done and I can move on with the sewing. Dont remember the cost but it is worth it! Now it is so part of my life, I cant remember being without one. It even impresses my skeptical family members, those could not imagine why I would spend money on a device to thread a needle.
Another use for perscription bottles. I put the remains of broken sewing machine needles in them. Also old needles and bent or dulled pins. I keep a bottle by my machine, and also have them near my quilt frame and in my "to go" bag. Seems I can break applique and hand quilting needles also. I have a label on the bottles, and when they get full they are safe to throw in the trash.
I use the broken sewing machine needles for pinning stuff to my cork board.
Learned this from another forum,if having trouble nesting seams,use the elmers glue stick,to nest then sew..stays in place and washes out ...
I think I will have to try that.
I went to our local Dollar General store and purchased 20 of those small plastic baskets and use these to keep my pieces separate as I sew the pieces together. I initially tried baggies and just stacking them but these baskets are the greatest and the best part is when I have to stop sewing for the day I can just stack up the baskets and all the pieces remain separated.
Another idea for keeping quilt pieces separate is to use the "cheapie" paper plates. You can write info on the plate and just stack them when you have to stop sewing.
this is how i use the large pads of construction paper...for a couple of years, they're just on different pages, but eventually the paper pages come out and then they go into the pizza box in a stack, one block to a page!
I too have used painters tape and found that sometimes I iron on them when I'm pressing my seams. I had some extra quilters safety pins and attached small circles of beads left from another kraft. These I numbered 1-1, 1-2,1-3 etc with a waterproof pen. Now I see them very clearly when I'm pressing. Maybe someone will like this method.
Keep quilting, Marge
There are beads available with numbers & letters stamped on them in the beading sections of craft stores. I put each one on a safety pin to mark my rows and columns. One box of those beads is ample to make up several sets as gifts to fellow quilters. Usually 10 rows and 5-6 columns will be sufficient, but you can always use more.
WOW --THAT's a great idea for a quilter's gift!
I now make small fabric envelopes for the back of my quilts which contain the label and washing/storing instructions.
I open and trace a paper envelope adding a seam allowance, then sew it using two matching fabrics from the quilt. Once it is stitched, inverted and pressed, I slipstitch it to the bottom of the quilt adding a button, velcro or snap closure. These look really nice and all the inside information can be removed for laundering. I had seen too many tacky labels spoiling the look of otherwise beautiful quilts, so came up with this solution. I no longer have to worry about inks that might run or my lefty handwriting.

RSS

Country Fair

New & Exclusive! Country Fair Collection just $6.96/yard Shop now »

Chambray Tonals

New & Exclusive! Chambray Tonals just $6.96/yard. Shop now »

© 2019   Created by CT Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service