Quilt With Us

Have a great tip? Share it with your fellow quilters here.

Views: 1576

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for the great tip!
I have tried this several times, and it rarely worked.  I have heard over and over how well it does.  I have tried various size clips, to no avail.  I wish you all better results.
If you ever have to fuse a large piece of fabric, save the release paper. You can use it just like a teflon sheet and it won't cost you anything.
I have been using Steam-a-Seam to help me with binding. After I sew the binding on the front of the quilt, I turn it over and place the steam a seam all the way around the quilt, right above the sewn line. Then I take the paper off the steam a seam tape and fold the binding over the edge to the back, right on top of the tape. I make sure everything is straight, then I iron over the seam, using steam, which makes it permanent. I always sew the binding down, even though the steam a seam is supposed to be permanent after steaming. The steam a seam takes the place of pinning and the seam doesn't move at all while sewing. I'm thinking I may try the steam a seam to help keep difficult to match seams together for sewing.
My son called me the other day, asking if I could hem his work pants. I told him to come on over, then handed him a roll of steam a seam. It only took him a few minutes to fix his hem, and I didn't lose any quilting time!
AND you taught your son to hem his own pants!!! LOL
I say this tip somewhere. After removing the paper from paper piecing use the hose of your vacumn to get the little nubs left.
Or start with watersoluble foundations, and you don't have anything to remove.
WHEN I LAY MY BLOCKS DOWN . I USE THE COLORED ROUND STICKERS FOUND IN STATIONARY DEPT. PKGS OF 100 AND COLORS ARE YELLOW,PINK,GREEN. I LABEL EACH ROW WITH ONE COLOR AND WRITE 1-1,1-2,1-3 ETC. I FOUND THEY ARE EASIER TO TAKE OFF THEN MASKING TAPE.
After you cut, piece and press your bindng in half, roll it up, leaving a little hole in the center. Then, thread a narrow piece of ribbon into the center, pull it through and cut it long enough to put over your head. Your binding will hang in front of you and as you sew it will roll off of the ribbon like paper towels roll off of the cardboard center. Keeps it neat and off of the floor and everywhere else it goes.
To keep various strips of fabric handy yet out of the way and easy to find, I bring out my wooden drying rack (the kind you use for drying lingerie) and hang the strips on that, sorted by color and width. This way, I can easily find the next strip in the pattern or find a strip width I need for the next block. I am making an Underground Railroad quilt and cutting the fabric as I go, so having a place to hang various cut strips near my cutting table makes finding the right strip color and width very easy indeed.

When cutting fabric, and ending up with just a little, I cut strips of variying sizes 3/4-3".  I hang them from the tall plastic plant stakes and bamboo (cut from the yard), that hangs in rope loops from the ceiling.  I can stagger about 7 rods from floor to ceiling.  When I get too many, I sew some 9/16 patches, and have a small center.  When I have enough of one color, I may use them for "snowball" corners.  Those little starters need a sashing, so hey, there they are to choose from.  They have been very handy for quicky finishes and starts.  You can see the mess in the corner.  The room was really getting a workout when this was taken.

My DH had a big magnet from an old car stereo speaker. When I complained about pins going everywhere, he gave the magnet to me for my sewing room. It sits in a basket, and when I'm done with a pin, I just have to throw it in the general direction, and the pin just flies into the basket. I got a great pin holder, and he got to recycle one piece of junk from his garage!

RSS

Country Fair

New & Exclusive! Country Fair Collection just $6.96/yard Shop now »

Chambray Tonals

New & Exclusive! Chambray Tonals just $6.96/yard. Shop now »

© 2019   Created by CT Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service