Quilt With Us

Have a great tip? Share it with your fellow quilters here.

Views: 1564

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

just make sure you don't get it anywhere near your computer or computerized sewing machine...
Just finished a top for a wall hanging about 32" square. I used solid black fabric for the outer frame of each block. Because it was black I washed it first to avoid the color/die rubbing off on the other fabric in the quilt. I put two safety pins on the right side of the black fabric so I could tell which was which after the washing & drying. I ironed the fabric, then drew a grid with white Fons & Porter mech. pencil on the back side of the fabric. I cut my pieces and was able to distinguish the right side easily because the white markings were all on the wrong side of the fabric. I loved this. I am one of those that feels even if both sides look the same, they're NOT the same. Especially over time, you can see a difference when the light hits the fabric. It may not make a difference to some quilters or on some projects, but it DOES make a difference to this quilter and I'm happy I found a way to work with solids that look the same on both sides.
I have become more interested in scrap quilts in the last few years and one of the things I find I enjoy is that I cut out two of everything when I get the fabric all set...that seems to be the most time consuming part, deciding what print goes where so I just cut two and separate into different piles. The second set of blocks can be used for the same layout or another, altogether...

I also save the pizza boxes from the grocery store (mine is Safeway)...they seal the pizza in plastic so the boxes are clean. I put a self-stick address label on the side and label each one. Many just have colors on them and contain the 2.5" strips I cut from scraps when they get too small to put back in stash. Others have completed blocks waiting for their mates to join them. And still others have blocks laid out on construction paper pieces ready for sewing. The paper is stiff enough to pick up and move the whole block and thin enough to leave plenty of space for lots of blocks. The boxes are easy to store and small enough to keep each project separate without wasting shelf space. I even made a 'bag' big enough to sit the boxes in flat to take to classes, etc., so I don't have to tilt the box...keeps everything in order inside. Best of all........they're free for the price of a dinner you didn't have to cook!!!!!!
BRILLIANT idea! I have tried and tried to keep my "scrap stash" organized and finally decided that I would probably never get around to making anything with them so I "donate" them to another Quilt With Us friend that I met here and she makes my scraps into quilts that she gives to charities and military men away from home. I LOVE that something I'd either be throwing away or storing indefinitely is being used in a meaningful way.

BUT-I have a TON of half done projects, single blocks, things I wanted to try and then got sidetracked on etc-including paper crafts, felt, and sample squares I ordered that I've been just putting in ziplock bags and then stuffing into boxes....where I can't see them, or remember them, and I've been trying to think of a method for storage that gives me easy access to them, keeps them organized etc. This idea is PERFECT! With 4 kids still at home, we eat our body weight in pizza every year so now I'll keep those grocery store boxes and label them!

Thank you so much for sharing!
Don't keep them there for over a year.  The paper is acidic and will burn your fabric brown.  They are quite handy for shorter terms, and like you said, they are already paid for.  Good repurposing.

I have a stack of pizza boxes that I painted with acrylic craft paints to match my sewing room. they look great stacked under my sewing table.

After I've pressed the binding, I wrap it around a large soda bottle . I then place it in a large brown shopping bag on the floor. It rolls out smoothly.
Swimming pool noodles can be cut into various lengths. You can cut a short length for bindings or you can use a whole length of the noodle to roll up a quilt top that isn't ready to quilt but you don't want to leave it folded until you are ready. These noodles have a hole down the center which could be useful, and they are styrofoam that you could pin the ends in place.

Great Hint Sallie!! I am so using that one!!

If you are shipping a quilt, they make perfect supports and fit in tubes (usually).  Art quilters have used this method in competition mailings for years.  Recently I began cutting them to size, and then cutting down through that hole, to insert into quilts for raised effects.  I don't know about acidity, which is a concern with my art quilts.  This is the next quilt I have cut the pieces for.  They will maintain the support of the rolling fabric waves.

I use aluminum foil in my sewing room to help with applique circles. I'm not very good at folding the fabric edges over a cardboard template - I usually end up burning my finger tips or I get bumpy, unsmooth circles. So, I tear off a piece of foil larger than my cardboard template and fabric circle. I place my fabric right side down on the foil and then lay the template on top. Then I begin to fold the foil up over the edge of the template and towards the center, making sure the foil is pressed nice and tight at the edges of the template. The foil keeps the fabric folded over the edges of the template so I don't have to hold it in place to iron it. Then I flip it over and place an iron on the smooth side for a few seconds - no steam. Then I open up the foil and pull out the fabric and template. I carefully remove the template from the fabric and I have a nice smooth circle and no burned fingers. It works for ovals too.
Now they have those mylar no melt "perfect circles".Comes in 2 sized pkgs.One is a whole lot of smaller dif. sized circles,and the other is the bigger circles. And you get lots of circles,so while one is cooling,you can continue on.You can do a lot of circles in a short amount of time.Works really good too. Just google "Perfect Circles" -By "Karen Kay Buckley"

RSS

Country Fair

New & Exclusive! Country Fair Collection just $6.96/yard Shop now »

Chambray Tonals

New & Exclusive! Chambray Tonals just $6.96/yard. Shop now »

© 2019   Created by CT Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service