Quilt With Us

What do you do with your left over bits and pieces from you quilts? How do you save and/or store them? This is one of my biggest problems in cleaning up my sewing room!

I'm just old enough to have been raised by people who never threw out anything they might be able to use some day. "Waste not, want not" (After all, you never know if that little two inch piece will be just what you need for that appliqued wall hanging you'll make some day.)
I have two sets of those plastic drawers so that I can save my left-over strips and they're sorted by color. That's not the problem.
It's those "trimmings" from FQs or the left-over bits from a curved cut that are really cluttering up my space. I seem to have a small stack of those pieces from every quilt I've ever made and I would love to know if any of you have that same problem and what you do about it.

Views: 485

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I used to save all my left over pieces for a rainy day when i might need them. I have been saving small pieces in shoe box size plastic containers just in case I need a small pieces. They are stored by color. When I saw how many plastic containers I had of fabric when we moved I thought need to do something else. If I have left over pieces that I can get 3 inch squaresenough to make a nine patch, I go ahead and cut them and sew. When I get enough I will make quilt using them like my grandmother and the ladies in town used to make quilts. If I have little left I turn my head and discard the small pieces. Hard to do as I also was raised to save everything. But I still do save some. Hard habit to break
Well I have all my scraps stored in a rubber maid tub. I went through all the scraps the week I cleaned my sewing room. I cut 4, 4 1/2, 5, and 5 1/2 and some 3 and 3 1/2 inch squares and made piles of them. The strips I went through and put them in piles of width and fairly long strips and I just layed them neatly in the tub. I did my Kitty In The Window quilt out of my scraps, then I got tired of doing the scrap thing and sorted and cleaned them all up and put them in the tub. Now to save me cleaning time if I got a little bit of fabric left from a project I just cut it up into usuable pieces and put them in the tub, that way they are done and no more sorting through a tub a scraps and organizing them. I can go right into another project. Hope this helps. Oh I did take some scraps and sew them together to use for borders that I want something scrappy looking and I hung them on hangers in the closet in the sewing room.
I also was going to recommend to everyone Bonnie Hunter's website of quiltville.com She is the queen of scraps and uses a system of scrapsaving to make the most beautiful quilts I have ever seen.

Hi all! I have just the thing to do with our scraps! Gwen has started a group of aceos/atc Art Card Edition and Originals and Artist Trading Cards. Please visit my page and click on the Aceo Group section. Her group is accepting any members that are interested in making these little 2 1/1" x 3 1/2" pieces of art. We would love to see what you have made, share ideas or gather more information about them. You can also see my slide show of about 15 that I recently made for a swap (ATC) with my WWAO group.
The photo is one that I completed and it is a simple log cabin made from a portion of a fat quarter.

Diana
We are now making postcards, a little bigger than aceos. They are 4 x6 inches and can be mailed through USPS for a first class stamp. For embellished cards, they can be sent with a clear envelope and hand stamped by the USPS, but they do charge a few cents more.

Please come and take a look at what we have done with our scraps. We have am ablum of some of our finished work. The group is on my page under my group section: Aceos/Postcards. You can even fuse or glue the pieces, without sewing.

I hope that all of your New Year plans are coming along just as you wished.

This is from Jan Johnson and she mailed it to me like a regular envelope. She is not a member of the group. I was just showcasing her simple, yet elegant postcard. The did a little quilting and edgestitched the edges.
To be honest...I don't keep my bits and pieces. I throw them out. My craft room is a bit disorganized as it is let alone saving the small left overs. But that's just me.
I take much of my scrappy pieces and use them to make stuffing for pet pillows. I add some polyester stuffing to help with the feel of the pillow. I have made several and even two cat beds and this seems to work out just fine.
I have a bin for small scraps and a bin for larger scraps. I did my finding nemo quilt in mostly scraps, picking out colors that were in the main nemo print.
Somewhere like project linus is a great place to donate a scrappy quilt, the brighter the better :)
A lady at the quilt shop I go to recently showed me "fabric balls" which are various small strips like selveges and raw edges wound up like a yarn ball. She keeps a bunch in a basket as a decorative feature.

With pieces that are actually of useful size, say, 3" or larger, I stuff them into a big plastic bin. If it gets too full I'll sit down & sort a bunch out & donate to a Girl Scout troop or freecycle the portion I don't think I'll use again.
I keep the selvage of my fabrics along with the tiniest bits of fabric to larger scraps. Take a look at the work of Lorraine Roy at www.lroytextileart.com/index.html She uses tiny bits of fabric to make many of her quilts. They are beautiful.

I sort mine by color and put them in plastic bags. When I have enough I put them into small plastic storage drawers. I get mine at wal-mart. As the collection grows so do the drawers. I also keep my like color fabrics together in the large plastic drawers.

I have seen quilts where the background fabric is woven selvages. They were really cool looking.

So for me the ideas are there. The fabric is there. The time....where is it?
Thanks, Artquilter for sharing the link. Her work is just gorgeous! I love the "flow" of her designs.

RSS

Country Fair

New & Exclusive! Country Fair Collection just $6.96/yard Shop now »

Chambray Tonals

New & Exclusive! Chambray Tonals just $6.96/yard. Shop now »

© 2019   Created by CT Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service