Quilt With Us

How do you go about marking for a Baptist fan pattern? Do you mark the whole quilt and then quilt it? I would think you would have to, since you couldn't just mark as you go if you start in the center. 

And where can I find templates for a Baptist fan, or how could I go about making one?

Thanks ladies (and gentlemen)!

Views: 6433

Replies to This Discussion

OK, I'll bite. How is a Baptist fan different from ... say ... a Methodist fan or a Lutheran fan?

LOL

Ok, scratch the "Baptist". Same question. :-) 

When I used Fan templates for a quilt design, I made my own.  Marked a piece of cardboard, with quarter circle line, then cut them apart.
I have the same question?  I am hoping to get a really good idea about how to customize it for each quilt which will be different.
Thanks, Lynne. That helps. :-)
I just watched a video on quilters tv that was about marking quilts. The gentleman said women long ago used to use a pencil and string to mark the first fan and after that they would just eyeball it.  I did  a quilt that way and use a floor frame and quilted from  one end to the other.  Have you tried the Stencil Company they have all kinds of stencils for quilts.
When we marked for the fan pattern, we always used string and chalk, my momma loved this pattern and used it a lot...so I learned how the "old" way...They quilted in the large frames that spread the quilt all the way out and you started on the outside edges and "rolled" up the 2 sides as you went.
I made a set of cardboard quarter circles, each 1" bigger than the last. I use them to mark the whole quilt, starting in one corner. I have found that if I want the lines of quilting 1/2" apart, I have no trouble keeping a consistent 1/2" away from each of the marked lines, especially if I quilt the marked lines first and then quilt between each of the marked lines.
I use a chalk pencil or a wash out pencil, depending on the color of the quilt.

Here is a tutorial on free-hand Baptist fans by Bonnie Hunter:

http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2010/05/questions-on-fans.html

I thought it was helpful. 

Thanks, PQ. That really helped understand. Now I need to find out what "utility quilting" is, too. I guess this is a learning week for me.
That was a really helpful tutorial.  Thanks for posting the URL.
It's called a Baptist fan because fried chicken (i.e., "Baptist bird") was traditionally served at the luncheons following the quilting bee when this quilting pattern was used.  Later the tradition degenerated into the sharing of various casseroles.  However, the serving of cold ham, overcooked green beans, and bought potato salad is generally agreed to be outside the range of accepted practice.   Experts do not agree on exactly what a Methodist or Lutheran fan would be, but a Presbyterian fan would be predestined to have exactly the shape and size it has.

RSS

Country Fair

New & Exclusive! Country Fair Collection just $6.96/yard Shop now »

Chambray Tonals

New & Exclusive! Chambray Tonals just $6.96/yard. Shop now »

© 2020   Created by CT Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service