Quilt With Us

To write about your experience with a quilting fabric, thread, batting or embellishment here, REPLY to this discussion with the name of the item in the first line.

Views: 44

Replies to This Discussion

I too like the Thermore batting & used to use it a lot before QDC came out. One of its original uses was for quilted clothing. I'm not 100% sure, but I think it now only comes in queen size. When I first started using it you could also get it in crib size. Schatze. since you & your dh have trouble with perspiring when you sleep, I would recommend you use either a cotton or a wool batt and not a poly batt. Both of those help absorb moisture where a poly batt will just make you warmer. I have also heard of people who just sew the top & backing together without batting for a summer weight "quilt". I lived in Las Vegas for 15 yrs & I always had a quilt on my bed. I would just push it down to the bottom of the bed when it was too hot.
Hi, Janet. I've been thinking about the technique of sewing the quilt top directly to the backing without a "middle." It just doesn't seem to yield a very nice look (like there's not enough loft to prevent the seams from making ridges). But maybe I'm just being picky?
When i was a child, my mother had "sheet blankets" she would put on the bed--they were thin flannel blankets, heavier than a flannel sheet. she would also make our beds in the summer so that our heads were at the foot of the bed--that would always be in a line between the bedroom door and the window. We didn't have airconditioning until i was about 10, but i don't remember ever being too hot during the long Georgia summers. this doesn't have anything to do with quilting, but the discussion just brought back the memory. i've tried to find sheet blankets for the last several years but only could find very expensive ones through Vermont country store.
Hi Schatze, I personally have not made a summer quilt, but my mom used to work for a woman that had some. They were more along the lines of wholecloth quilts that were just tacked in various places just enough to hold the 2 pieces together. I believe she used these more for looks on the bed than for anything else.
I was given two quilts that had belonged to my grandmother. They were both emboridered blocks signed by different women. One was dated 1927 and the other 1929. Both had sashing between them and were done in muslin. The back was also a sheet of muslin. Nothing in between them. Grandma had done a herringbone stitch around the sashing that went through to the back. One was done in pink threads and the other in black. They were kept on her beds in the summer. At the time I got them the black thread on both quilts was rotting. The rest of the threads looked just like new. I redid both quilts and gave them to my dear niece who just totaly fell in love with them. It was through research that I found out that they were called summer quilts and used on beds for naps or extra covers for summer nights. Just a sheet and the summer quilt.I have since made some for my kids. Where I live you need heavy blankets year round. I am in the process of making some for our place in Wyoming. Hope this helps a little.
mustangquilts, thanks for your input. My thought is that if I'm going to settle this question for myself, I should just go ahead and make a simple quilt like you've described and see how it works out.
My DH is a heat factory when he sleeps. In the winter, it doesn't bother me too much, but in the summer ... oh, boy. Even with the AC on, I usually cook. Although by morning I begin to chill a little. Geez, you'd think we could figure out how to hold a steady temperature!
You are welcome. I am so glad I could help. The quilts were so fresh and lively they aways made me happy. Each block was a 12x12 block. Once my neice gets moved I could have her take a picture of them for you if you would like. Good luck I would love to see what you come up with. Keep me posted.Lori
What a neat gift to receive. No one else in my family ever quilted with the exception of 1 cousin who only made 1 so I don't have any to inherit. Hopefully my kids & grandkids will want to keep at least some of the "40 gabillion" quilts I have made over the years!
I hadn't thought about the cotton vs. polyester issue in regard to the thermal value of the quilt. Janet's point about polyester being warmer and less breathable than cotton is absolutely right. My daughter, who feels cold when the rest of us are sweating, sleeps under a quilt with a wool batt all year round. I have a quilt with t cotton batting on my bed right now, and it's fine, even though the temps are in the 90's here. I don't think there is one batt that is right for every situation--i like having a variety to choose from. But i may need to rethink that summer quilt--i have one underway with thermore, but this will make a good excuse (as i needed one!) to make another. I do need to keep a more careful record of what i use on each quilt i made because i've made enough now that it is hard to remember the details of every quilt.
Hi, I just joined this group. I'd like to add my two cents regarding batting. I was taught to quilt before batting was required to be bonded. My mom (the lovely lady who taught me) just about had kittens when she had to use bonded poly batting. She and I agreed that the battings that were available in our area at the time were substandard. We have continuously returned to the Morning Glory batting, hoping that they would go back to not bonding... LOL However, they did get around it by creating the Morning Glory Great Glory III batting. It is still bonded, but much more lightly than most. It is a good high loft and is soft to the touch. Now that we have found it in her Hobby Lobby store, we stock up on our batting every time we are there. I highly recommend it for both summer and winter quilting.

RSS

Country Fair

New & Exclusive! Country Fair Collection just $6.96/yard Shop now »

Chambray Tonals

New & Exclusive! Chambray Tonals just $6.96/yard. Shop now »

© 2020   Created by CT Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service