Quilt With Us

To write about your experience with a quilting website or online educational resource here, REPLY to this discussion with the name of the item on the first line.

Views: 63

Replies to This Discussion

By Mollie Wilson
Sentimental Stitches – a website

Review submitted by Mollie Wilson

This site has LOTS of blocks, they are all in pdf format. Plus they are all small blocks, but I feel the instructions are written well enough that anyone can make them. These finish up to be 4 1/2" inches. Also make sure you check out all the information she has down the right side of her blog, there is a wealth of items there. At least go take a peek and leave a comment about what you thought of the site.

http://sentimentalstitches.net/free-stuff/midget-blocks/
2,500 Quilt Links – a website

Yes, you read it right, 2,500 of those rascals. It is really something to get into this site. You might need to make you something to eat and drink because once you get started in this one it is very hard to stop. When you click on this link you think there isn't anything there except the heading. But scroll down and then you will start to see all the links. I don't know why there is such a big empty space--but now I know what my head looks like *LOL*

http://with-heart-and-hands.blogspot.com/2007/10/free-quilting-patterns.html
One Seam Flying Geese--Tutorial by Ricky Tims—Video

This video is easy to understand and Ricky explains it in normal terms no 'fancy' talking. I will give you one tip in case you miss it in the video. Your rectangle piece will always be cut 1/2" shorter than your pattern will call for. Example: 3" squares and 6" rectangles, the new way 3" squares and 5 1/2" rectangles. No matter what size Geese you are making the rectangle will be cut 1/2" shorter than the pattern calls for.

http://thequiltshow.com/blog_videos/Flying_Geese.html
Reply by Paula: I am currently working on this project. Using bright colors with black background. This is really out of my norm. There are other sights that gives better "instruction" on this method in writing. I think I googled 3D flying geese.
Reply by Mollie Wilson: Here are written instructions for the Geese plus photos to help you along. You just gotta give this a try. Thanks Paula. I also did bright colors with black. It also is outside my comfort zone but they turned out very pretty.
http://www.ufo-rphanage.com/gander.shtml
I watched the video and I wished that I had watched it before I made my last top. It had Lots and Lots of geese. Thanks for sharing.
Quiltville -- a scrap quilter's paradise – a website
[see others' comments at the end of the review]

Review submitted by Schatze

If you haven't spent time at http://quiltville.com/index.html, Bonnie Hunter's website, you're in for a scrap quilting treat.
To be honest, I've never cared for most of the scrap quilts I've seen because they were ... well ... just unattractive. But Bonnie's talent and enthusiasm for scrap quilting--and wonderful photos of her work--may have begun to turn me around.
She's put on Quiltville.com a wealth of information about her quilting techniques punctuated with loads of photos and commentary. And in her blog, you'll discover her adventures in quilting overseas!
If you look on the right side of the Quiltville homepage, you'll see a long list of FREE patterns, most with extensive, user-friendly instructions.
Bonnie's a dyed-in-the-cotton frugal quilter who believes in using up every scrap possible (and I mean that in the most strict sense of the word!).
She's at her finest when she's describing how to use "strings" and "crumbs" (you'll have to go to her website to find out what those are).
Quiltville, like most websites, has to pay the bills, so there's a Store where you can buy Bonnie's book along with some of the quilting tools she's found helpful.
If you visit Quiltville, please come back and tell us about your adventure!
Reply by Auntie Em (ask her to do a short item on leaders & Enders in Techniques, including a link to Quiltville directions page, also to post review of book in Books section)
I'm not sure what information to add, but here's a little bit more about Quiltville that I can share.
I've always admired Bonnie Hunter for the wealth of quilting knowledge she freely shares at her website. I think that hers was the first quilt blog I ever read. A few years back I followed her easy-to-use directions to make a Pineapple Blossom quilt. She also has great directions for making string quilts. All of her patterns are well illustrated with step by step photos too.
The name of her book is Scraps & Shirttails, and it's all about recyling men's plaid shirts into quilts. In the past year or so she has started doing free Mystery quilts every so often. I have not done one yet, but the patterns are still available on her website.
As you said, Bonnie uses every scrap possible, and has some neat ideas for organizing your scraps into usable pieces, and check out her advice about using "Leaders and Enders".
Reply by Carol Vickers
I love Quiltville. I was never sure how to make scrap quilts look "like they weren't made out of random scraps" and hers certainly do not. I've not had a chance to try much but I'm certainly motivated to drag out all my boxes of little pieces of fabric!
Reply by Marla Southers
I too highly recommend Bonnie Hunter's website and her book. I have an autographed copy of it and it is wonderful. She makes going to Good Will stores seem like an adventure. I love how she teaches you to organize your scraps and make a system that really works.
Reply by Patricia
Bonnie and her Quiltville website is my favorite. I too have her autographed book Scraps and Shirttails! She has great patterns and excellent visuals. Highly recommend that you check her website out!!
I recently discovered Quilter's Cache, a website created by Marcia Hohn. The web address is www.quilterscache.com. There are hundreds of quilt blocks, both traditional ones and ones created by Marcia. I found the site when looking for English piecing instructions. I found careful instructions and some history of the honeycomb or Grandma's Flower Garden block. The site is well-organized--very easy to browse or for finding a specific block. It's also free--but be sure to read and follow Marcia's use agreement.
Just another tid bit about Marcia - she is from Maine. We had her come to give a lecture at one of our area meetings a few years back - she talked about how she started her website and how it has grown ever since!! She is a hoot!! Turns out, her parents were friends with my parents when we were young -well, she is quite a bit younger than I am!! What a small world!! Her patterns are wonderful, the instructions are very well written and very easy to understand, with lots of illustrations.
http://www.QuiltUniversity.com

This is a wonderful resource for people who want to take classes over the internet. I have taken a lot of classes through this site and have been happy with all of them. She has nationally known instructors, such as Karen Combs, as well as some I had not heard of before I ck'd out her class schedule. This resource is especially great for those who do not live close to a quilt store, or even worse, has a quilt store that doesn't offer good classes. The prices are very reasonable. The variety is also very good. Some people have a hard time picturing how you can learn how to hand quilt or learn how to hand applique' over the internet, but trust me, her teachers know their stuff.
I, too, haven taken several classes from Quilt University. One of the advantages over reading a book is the discussion forum where you can ask questions or make observations and the teacher answers your questions. It can be a personal experience with the teacher and classmates. The lessons contain lots of pictures and you can also send in pictures to explain a problem.
You can also take your time learning and doing the lessons. I have a few classes that I haven't finished yet, but one of these days....
Thanks, Esther! I think your comments have tipped me over into trying the University. I was a little hesitant because I can't always keep up the pace that's usually necessary in classes (life sometimes gets in the way of my plans!). It's encouraging to learn that a student can go at her own pace.
Because of the comments I read from Janet, I signed up for the Triple Treat Tulips Applique class. First lesson began this weekend. Now to the fun part of picking out fabrics. Applique is a bit intimidating for me right now. Will report back how my efforts are proceeding. Thank you Janet for making me aware of this opportunity to learn from home.
I've used QuiltShops.com to locate a hard-to-find (and "out of print") fabric for my mother-in-law. She'd run out of the background fabric for her quilt, and didn't really want to change to another midstream. Shops in her area had closed out the fabric some months earlier.
She gave me the name of the fabric and the manufacturer, and I was able to use the website's search engine to locate 3 shops that had it listed in their inventories.
Communicating with each shop by email (no long distance calls!), I quickly learned that one had enough yardage to finish the quilt.
In fact, I was able to negotiate a reduction in the price per yard by offering to buy all they had left.
QuiltShop.com always has over 200 quilt shops throughout the nation in its program, and the search tool checks all of them for the fabric, tool or pattern you're looking for.
I've also used the website to find a particular product on sale rather than pay full price for it in my usual shopping spots. It's a really handy tool.
As on similar websites, you can sign up for an e-newsletter and for emails announcing special sales, etc. And there are ways to win prizes as well.
If you test-drive it, let us know what your experience is (good or bad)!

www.quiltshops.com

RSS

Country Fair

New & Exclusive! Country Fair Collection just $6.96/yard Shop now »

Chambray Tonals

New & Exclusive! Chambray Tonals just $6.96/yard. Shop now »

© 2020   Created by CT Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service