Quilt With Us

In the beginning I was searching for something to keep me occupied, yeah like I have absolutely nothing to do otherwise (dripping with sarcasm) K I guess I was searching the forever search for something to add to my pile of things to keep insanity at bay. Dear Jane reared her busy body head. I’ve done foundation piecing once, yeah 1 entire time. I’m a totally self-taught quilt via books and trial & error. I Googled dear Jane quilt and found the busiest quilt I think I’ve ever seen. 169 (I think that correct) blocks, 52 triangles and 4 corners…all different. I think that’s what caught my eye…ALL DIFFERENT…no repetition…an obsessive-compulsive insomniacs dream activity!
Thus my adventure begins! I’ve ordered the book from my local quilt shop, Heavenly Patchwork of Waconia, it should be in next week. And I’ve picked out a yard of backing and the fabrics for the 1st three blocks.

All the backgrounds will be dappled crème colored batik except the white blocks, which will have bright rainbow batik for the background. the colored (or white) parts of the blocks will be either novelty, modern, or flamboyant batiks in the rainbow shade. When each block is done I'm going to date and name it. I've gone through the list and renamed a few of the bocks so I can sew a bit of my loved one's into this gob of loveliness. Although damn near destitute, I’m really looking forward to starting this MASSIVE project. I realize ‘Cornea-Sizzling-Synapse-Frying-Dear-Jane's-a-Pain-in-the-Quilt’ will take quite a while to accomplish but it will be well worth the time and pin pricks

BOOWAHAHAHA…Dear Jane has possessed me and I’m not looking for an exorcist! So I figure I can like edit this discussion and add photos of the blocks as I go…we shall see!
(Later that same day!)
I've made the signature block for my dear jane...changed the title a bit to better fit me and the silliness I plan.

:)
WELCOME TO MARCH!

My 1st dear jane block...all done on my friday off from work... :) doing them by hand as they're too tiny fo me to use my machine with out having fits and paper piecing didn't work for me...

1-2 buckle my shoe using orange poppy on dappled batik! 2-27-09

Shhhh I got lazy with this one...applique'd a circle of batik onto dotted yellow then applique'd the curvy cross onto it...
2-28-09

Renamed this one Dr. Jensen's Stethoscope since he's been our doctor since Tab was a fetus way back in 1987. 2/28/2009

Jaz's Bon FIre...we don't camp but Jazmin has many bonfires in the yard during the spring summer and fall...what's interesting is we burned this rather crappy laminate stuff and the flame was almost this shade of teal...I'm sure totally poisonous and unhealthy!
3-1-2009

Block: A6Title: Sweetie Uncle StevieOriginal Name: Uncle HomerWhy: Named for my more than just a step-Brother Stevie who lives in Colorado# Of Pieces: 9Block completed: March 2nd 2009Hand pieced, all cotton then backed with iron on interfacing so it will survive till the moment when all the blocks are done and finally pieced together. 5 inches by 5 inches

Block: A7Title: Dear Old Dad’s PlaidsWhy: My dad wears many a plaid and flannel shirt mostly made by my mom. He wore a lot of plaid on the farm.Original Name: Dad’s Plaids# Of Pieces: 8Block completed: March 2nd 2009Hand pieced, all cotton then backed with iron on interfacing so it will survive till the moment when all the blocks are done and finally pieced together. 5 inches by 5 inches

Block: A8Title: Flo NightingaleOriginal Name: Florence NightingaleWhy: Just decided to shorten it a bit, plus I work with a dude named Flo, he's pretty cool though not in a lavender way... :)# Of Pieces: 11Block completed: March 3rd 2009Hand pieced, all cotton then backed with iron on interfacing so it will survive till the moment when all the blocks are done and finally pieced together. 5 inches by 5 inches

Block: A9Title: Trailer Park FeverOriginal Name: Cabin FeverWhy: Let’s face it…older house trailer let’s say 1973, are a lot like a cabin or even smaller and more confining. March has just started and there’s snow, rain, sleet, below zero wind chills…cabin fever abounds, granted not the B horror movie type of cabin fever, but a fever of some sort nonetheless. I changed the pattern a bit for ease of construction.Block completed: March 4th 2009Number of pieces = 37Hand pieced on a muslin foundation in the beginning of A9...there was a WAY too complicated and tiny image on the page...not wanting to cut out every wee piece and try real hard to piece it and probably either fail miserably or frustrate myself to fits... I slapped a small piece of muslin unceremoniously over the picture, traced it...and Wa-la...a foundation was born!3 hours and 2 TV shows later the block was actually done...sometimes I even shock myself and this is said with no ego at all...I am truly shocked that I finished this block so fast! All cotton then backed with iron on interfacing so it will survive till the moment when all the blocks are done and finally pieced together.

Block: A10Title: Witch Points West?Original Name: Which Points West?Why: Witch definitely fits better than which! 3 of the points have a decidedly witchy hat look about them.# Of Pieces: 18Block completed: March 5th 2009Hand pieced, a dab of appliqué, all cotton then backed with iron on interfacing so it will survive till the moment when all the blocks are done and finally pieced together. 5 inches by 5 inches

Block: A11Title: Yane’s ProtestOriginal Name: Pebble’s ProtestWhy: dedicated to that faithful anti-war protest march at the capital with Steph and all the girls! Back and forth between the cathedral and the capital in St. Paul…too few porta biffs…quietly sneaking into the cathedral so Jaz’ could tinkle. The war continuing but I got a lovely bout of bronchitis. So much for civil disobedience! # Of Pieces: 43? Ugh!Block completed: March 7th 2009Hand pieced, This block nearly drove me to fits! Inset seams are not my forte’ at all…all cotton then backed with iron on interfacing so it will survive till the moment when all the blocks are done and finally pieced together. 5 inches by 5 inches

Block: A12Title: Mom’s in a Fancy FrameOriginal Name: Framed FancyWhy: My mom deserves a fancy frame…she’s a fancy gal! Then there are the bright colored kitties…mom’s a cat person!# Of Pieces: 29Block completed: March 8th 2009Hand pieced, all cotton then backed with iron on interfacing so it will survive till the moment when all the blocks are done and finally pieced together. 5 inches by 5 inches

Block: A13Title: Work Day or NightOriginal Name: Star Light Star BrightWhy: I’ve worked all shifts, can’t say as I’ve enjoyed every shift…but hey saw the stars, moon rise, sun set, sun rise… most of the time nonetheless# Of Pieces: 22Block completed: March 8th 2009Hand pieced, all cotton then backed with iron on interfacing so it will survive till the moment when all the blocks are done and finally pieced together. 5 inches by 5 inches
1st Row of blocks done…Happy dance!

Block: B1Title: Batchelor Buttons in da GardenOriginal Name: Batchelor ButtonsWhy: nothing prettier in a wee trailer park garden than bachelor buttons! # Of Pieces: 6Block completed: March 8th 2009Hand pieced, Shhh I kind of cheated, I used my yo-yo maker to make the buttons so they would have a tactile 3D effect. I added wee buttons to the buttons and a stem since I see these as flowers rather than buttons on clothing. All cotton then backed with iron on interfacing so it will survive till the moment when all the blocks are done and finally pieced together. 5 inches by 5 inches

Block: B2Title: Rhubarb PieOriginal Name: Sweet Tator PieWhy: I really don’t care for sweet potatoes…well I really don’t like rhubarb either…but it goes with the red + I do have a monster rhubarb in the garden for the girls to munch on! Note the strawberry fabric?!? Strawberry rhubarb pie…LOL…the crust isn’t very golden# Of Pieces: 16Block completed: March 9th 2009Hand pieced, curved pieces…and my nerves didn’t overwhelm me. All cotton then backed with iron on interfacing so it will survive till the moment when all the blocks are done and finally pieced together. 5 inches by 5 inches

Block: B3Title: Looking at You Looking at MeOriginal Name: Mirror ImageWhy: When the girls were very little and we lived in the town home we had a huge mirror off of a dresser downstairs by the dining room and the girls would get ready for outside in front of it. Id’ catch them many a time not getting ready but having a good time goofing in the mirror.# Of Pieces: 8Block completed: March 10th 2009Hand pieced getting better at curves, all cotton Jaz picked out the orange, then backed with iron on interfacing so it will survive till the moment when all the blocks are done and finally pieced together. 5 inches by 5 inches

Block: B4Title: Neal’s Soccer FieldOriginal Name: Chris’ Soccer FieldWhy: Neal, Robyn’s sweet lil son, Who looks like a lil elf sweetie, blonde blue eyed… I can see him playing soccer! # Of Pieces: 17Block completed: March 14th, 2009Hand pieced, all cotton fun kitty fabric from Heavenly Patchwork and white on white from Joann’s, then backed with iron on interfacing so it will survive till the moment when all the blocks are done and finally pieced together. 5 inches by 5 inches

Block: B5Title: Hot Toasty BunsOriginal Name: Hot Crossed BunsWhy: When ever there’s a meal at my mom’s there will be BUNS…not usually hot buns which is good since if you ask to have one passed to you…be ready to catch!# Of Pieces: 17Block completed: March 14th, 2009Hand pieced, all cotton fun Celtic fabric from Joann’s and white on white from Joann’s, then backed with iron on interfacing so it will survive till the moment when all the blocks are done and finally pieced together. 5 inches by 5 inches

Block: B6Title: Catch a Pretty DuckOriginal Name: Wild Goose ChaseWhy: We had some pretty ducks on the farm! Even a peachy colored one! But they really didn’t need to be chased; they were people like all the animals!# Of Pieces: 41Block completed: March 15th, 2009Hand pieced, all cotton gorgeous batik teal fabric from Heavenly Patchwork and white on white from Joann’s, then backed with iron on interfacing so it will survive till the moment when all the blocks are done and finally pieced together. 5 inches by 5 inches

Block: B7Title: Kick Ball DiamondOriginal Name: World SeriesWhy: One of the very few games I enjoyed when I was wee, living in the Beeg Cities.# Of Pieces: 7Block completed: March 23rd 2009Cute Flamingo is left over from the massive ‘professional tote’ I made. Hand pieced after trying this block once and throwing the entire thing away, hand appliquéd, all cotton then backed with iron on interfacing so it will survive till the moment when all the blocks are done and finally pieced together. 5 inches by 5 inches

Block: B8Title: Water Lily in Lake MinnetonkaOriginal Name: Water LilyWhy: While feigning the excitement of fishing I usually check out the local plant life. There are usually really nice water lilies in Lake Minnetonka and massive lily pads. Perhaps it’s the raw sewage that tends to flow into it every big rainstorm!# Of Pieces: 12Block completed: March 23rd 2009Hand pieced, all cotton, star scrap kept for this very purpose. Block then backed with iron on interfacing so it will survive till the moment when all the blocks are done and finally pieced together. 5 inches by 5 inches

Block: B9Title: Tinker Toys All Over the FloorOriginal Name: Tinker Toy Why: Kids bring messes. Messes bring learning…Tinker toys bring pain to your foot in the middle of the night. Better yet with daughters…Barbie’s pointy feet shove themselves right between your toes in the stormy night with the power goes off and the house is filled with the shrill prepubescent screams of terrified girls.# Of Pieces: 16Block completed: March 24th 2009Hand pieced, all cotton, fun cat fabric from a kit from Keepsake Quilting, Batik from Carmen in Spain. Block then backed with iron on interfacing so it will survive till the moment when all the blocks are done and finally pieced together. 5 inches by 5 inches

Block: B10Title: Dr. Whistler’s TrophyOriginal Name: Judd’s TrophyWhy: Dr. Whistler is the Asthma go-to guy at Catalyst Clinic in Watertown. Dr. Whistler is a runner…Here’s to you Dr. Whistler!# Of Pieces: 33Block completed: March 29th 2009Hand pieced, all cotton then backed with iron on interfacing so it will survive till the moment when all the blocks are done and finally pieced together. 5 inches by 5 inches

Views: 28

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

WOW this is going to be the 'Jetsons' version of Dear Jane....I can't wait to see what happens next!
Just you wait...I've gone through my stash of bit n pieces I just could not throuw away cuz the fabric was just too cute to waste a single inch...this will definately be a retina scalder!
Well I certainly will look forward to seeing your Dear Jane.I'm thinking it might be the jassiest? of them all. Good for you to make your own creative statement!
Guess I've always had a problem with going with the flow... ;)
Yes, wasn't Mrs. Jetson's first name "Jane"? Works for me. Can't wait to see more. Elaine, I have my paper foundation instructions on the .pdf forum. Maybe it will help. I always cringe when I hear how much fabric is being wasted when some people use paper foundation. I hope you will try it. --Susan
Oh I printed ull your instructions and plan on practicing this weekend the block you have as PDFs too! Practice makes perfect!
Good! When you've done a couple, please let me know iif it helped. --Susan
enjoyed reading all your inputs. love the fabric choices, bright and happy and fun.

RSS

Country Fair

New & Exclusive! Country Fair Collection just $6.96/yard Shop now »

Chambray Tonals

New & Exclusive! Chambray Tonals just $6.96/yard. Shop now »

© 2020   Created by CT Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service