Quilt With Us

I got started on my blocks this afternoon. This is so much fun that I don't want to stop! Pictured are C-12, K-2, M-12, and I-3. Also completed but not pictured are A-6, M-10, and C-3. Yes, I used my artistic license to interpret K-2. Mrs. Hansen (7,0,0,177)
Modified on 2-22; I removed the first pictures I posted full size, replaced them with smaller images. Pictured are C-3, A-6, K-3, M-5, E-8, E-9, J-4, and D-13.

Views: 146

Replies to This Discussion

Oh, what a beautiful quilting plan, Diane. It all sounds so simple ... a huge hawaiian quilt full of small blocks to applique and then this imaginative quilting scheme. Wonderful, this is the right spirit. Love you.
Carmen I'm just plain nuts admit it!

I completed A-11 on Wed, A-12 on Thursday, the others yesterday. A-11 as drafted looked like it would take set-in seams, so I changed the seam lines a little. A-12 got its colors inverted. On I-9 I went with two regular flying geese rather than 4 with odd angles, as drafted. The construction on I-9 is a lot different from any other block in the book. I-13 got its colors inverted and a third fabric because I thought if I'm going to take the trouble to piece those little squares I'm not going to make them disappear by using the same fabric. Pictured are A-11, A-12, I-9, and I-13. Edna (112, 0, 0, 2289, 2)
P.S. The remaining blocks are now in a contest to see which will be the last one I do, which will be so dauntingly difficult that I will leave it for last. They are actually snickering behind my back, the little stinkers! Ah, but I have a suprise for them. The last one or two may be replaced in my quilt by whatever I can mash together from the charming large pile of snippets beside my cutting surface. So there, difficult stinky little blocks!
Edna , don't you think that that is probably what Jane did. She used what she had and that sometimes determined the design of the block.At least that's what I like to think. You're blocks are stunning as usual. I am now so far behind but I am not giving up yet. Have a great day.
Edna,

Great idea to change the seam lines on A-11. Inverting the colors on A-12 and I-13 really changes the look of the blocks, but I like it. If I had to pick my favorite middle block, it would probably be I-9, and you did a great job on it. Was sewing these blocks your de-stressers from parent-teacher conferences?
Jackie, my stress at school is mostly about instructional leadership, and that's all I can say for now. I have a mostly wonderful class with mostly bright, shiney students and amazing parental involvement. If my job were merely go to school, teach, go home, this year would be on the records as the best year ever. Edna
Edna, How lucky you are to have had such a great experience your first year in a new district. Good for you! What grades have you taught in the past?

Pictured are A-13, E-6, L-6, and L-11. I was bugged everytime I looked at L-11 because the drafted block does not look much like the pictured block. When I finally decided to just do it, I added lines to the draft and ignored others and tried to make it like the one in the picture. I had cut out the corner triangles, but when I got to this point I thought the block was cute enough. If the quilt police come after me, or someone posts their block with the corners on and it's even cuter, or if I just want to add 4 to my final piece count, the triangles are still there and I'll add them. The center of E-6 was a bugger. I did it twice on my machine, and both times the presser foot dragged the seams out of allignment. Ended up hand sewing just that seam. A-13 was entirely hand pieced. Edna (116, 0, 0, 2399, 2)
Oh my! Each and everyone is a work of art. So, so beautiful!
Edna,

Susan is right. Every one is a work of art. I'm impressed. I have one question, however. How do you decide which block to do next?
To be very honest, I look through the book and find one that looks "do-able." Often I find myself working on 2 or 3 blocks that are similar in construction or concept at the same time, regardless of where they are placed in the quilt. My definition of "do-able" has changed a lot from what it was when I started DJ; as many others have expressed, my skills are growing as I progress through the blocks. Edna, trying to decide which block to do next (B-6 and C-5 are in progress.)

RSS

Country Fair

New & Exclusive! Country Fair Collection just $6.96/yard Shop now »

Chambray Tonals

New & Exclusive! Chambray Tonals just $6.96/yard. Shop now »

© 2021   Created by CT Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service