Quilt With Us

I got started on my blocks this afternoon. This is so much fun that I don't want to stop! Pictured are C-12, K-2, M-12, and I-3. Also completed but not pictured are A-6, M-10, and C-3. Yes, I used my artistic license to interpret K-2. Mrs. Hansen (7,0,0,177)
Modified on 2-22; I removed the first pictures I posted full size, replaced them with smaller images. Pictured are C-3, A-6, K-3, M-5, E-8, E-9, J-4, and D-13.

Views: 146

Replies to This Discussion

Oh no!!!! LOL It wasn't intended to embarrass you! They are each so beautiful, I've had lots of fun just looking at them and thinking of each one of you. It's going to be a little sad when they leave here. But, I know you all will love them too, sooooooo as soon as they all get here, I will send them on their way. I will let you know when I've been to the post office.
Edna,
Your blocks are beautiful, of course. I think what make them so marvelous is your fabrics. May I ask where did you find all these gorgeous fabrics? After looking at your blocks and fabrics, I get so dissatisfied with mine. Maybe it's the creative way you put them together. I'm really looking forward to seeing your finished quilt top.
Actually, Janet, I've seen several of the same fabrics in your own blocks. I used to tell myself that my fabric aquisition impulses were under control because my stash would fit into two big Rubbermaid tubs. I was deceiving myself on both counts. When I moved last summer, stash and all, the boxes kept filling.... I have actively collected fabrics in particular color-ways (reds, chestnuts, purples, golds, blacks, blues) and I never pass up a background tan or cream if it has stars or anything botanical in the print. I did subscribe to Keepsake Quilting's CW club for about a year, but many of those fabrics are too somber or the prints are too large. Most of my collection of pinks came from Keepsake. I'm using reproduction fabrics where I can, and finding that my Thimbleberries prints are a good fit.
I find those "stash-buster" books amusing because I can't imagine why anyone would want to bust their stash. The more fabrics the merrier! Edna
Stash! We buy fabric to make quilts, then we feel like we cant use it all up, so we go back to the shop and buy some more for that quilt. And if we do spend it, we have to replace it immediately because the emptyness is unbearable. Then we seem to be missing browns, so we add some of those, and suddenly it's like we have few blues (of course, this is just because the browns expanded) so we shop for blues. And now it's Spring and we want yellows and pinks, and in Autum we will want deep reds and rusts ... Have you ever thought stashes represent our lives? When my children were young I was buying soft tones and miny prints. Then we moved into brights and bugs as they grew. Now the girls love large modern designs. The year my mother was sick, before she died, I later realized I had only bought dark tone on tones. I now like neutrals and pastels ... what does the future hold for us? This will go on for ever. Honestly, girls ... will we spend our stash in this life?? Or would we need three or four more lives??
Noooo, don't feel unhappy about your blocks! I know what you mean, Edna's are hard to beat, but yours are very pretty too. It is beautiful to have such a gallery of blocks here and get to see everyone elses blocks and grab ideas from them.
Edna,
I think making fabric decisions is the hardest part in doing the DJ blocks (other than applique, of course). I keep thinking of reasons (or things I have to have) for going to the fabric store. My stash is small, particularly the CW fabrics. I have a book on order at my LQS so maybe I'll get to go shopping later this week.
Is this spring break?
Janet

I'm trying to work my way through the remaining blocks from A-M now. A-row is complete. Applique pieces for B-7 are prepped are waiting for my spring break (begins Easter weekend). B-ll looks cute in the picture, out-of-scale as drafted, so I'm going to try reducing it on the copier before I tackle it. The machine piecing on C-4 is done; the hand part I'll do tonight. I have a plan for C-7, and C-11 doesn't look too difficult. Pictured are B-8, C-2, C-8, and H-4. I machine pieced what I could on C-8; the others are entirely hand pieced. The focus fabric for B-8 has been waiting patiently for just the right block;-) Edna (124, 0, 0, 2563, 2)
Edna,
Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful!!! I especially like B-8. Is that one piece or did you fussy cut the shape? I do have some of that background fabric that you've used in C-2. It's interesting to see how you think and plan ahead. You are so wonderfully organized. One block at a time is about all I can handle.
Thank you, Janet. The center of B-8 is 4 shapes, fussy cut from a large print. I press my freezer paper templates to the reverse of the fabric and I'm careful to place each in the same position.
Edna,
I agree with every word Janet has said. Your blocks and your precision is fabulous! I, like Janet, just kept telling myself, "one block at a time". If I ever do it again, I think I'll be a little more organized than I have been in the past. You are such an inspiration to all of us.
Susan
It certainly found the right block, you can be sure. But the fussy cutting and assembling is spectacular. They are all so pretty. I fussy cut one block and no one seemed to notice LOL. Something must have not been completely right, because it certainly didn't catch anyone's eye. I'm really getting worried; some of them don't look so difficult ... and they I read you are hand piecing them ... Well, I might end up with a wall hanging instead of a quilt LOL.

I was trying to follow the drafting in the book for C-11 and had it all cut out in quarters and was starting to worry about matching the parts of the central circle after having done curved seams when some light beamed in my brain and I thought I could just simplify it. So, on one background square I appliqued the four corners and the circle for the center, and then added the borders. Ok, it's a shortcut, but Susan teaches us to look for easy ways and I think she's right!!
You make me so proud!

RSS

Country Fair

New & Exclusive! Country Fair Collection just $6.96/yard Shop now »

Chambray Tonals

New & Exclusive! Chambray Tonals just $6.96/yard. Shop now »

© 2021   Created by CT Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service