Quilt With Us

We certainly accomplished a LOT with the "Stash Buster and UFO Basher" last year, so I will be organizing a similar activity this year!  However this year, we will be focusing entirely on shrinking our stash.  An additional change this year is that we will be doing it on a MONTHLY basis.  There will be a small prize for each monthly winner.  But...there will also be a GRAND prize for the gal who is the overall monthly winner at the end of the year!  So this year, it will be little steps (monthly) to master a huge accomplishment:  BUST THE STASH!!!!

In 2012 we will be focusing on trimming down our stash.  You know how many resolutions involve weight loss and slimming down?!  Well, instead of working on our body...we are going to work on our stash!!! lol   To be a member of this group you are encouraged to USE THE FABRIC IN YOUR STASH that was purchased prior to January 1, 2012.  You may start new projects or finish old projects- but choose the fabrics from your stash. (Anything purchased during this 2012 year canNOT be counted as part of your stash!)  You will need to keep track of how much fabric you use out of your stash each month.  The easiest way to do this is measure your fabric piece before you use it in a project and then measure your fabric piece after you are done using it.  That will help you determine how much fabric you have used! Even easier-if you use only fabric from your stash for your quilt, the pattern you are using will tell your yardage. Who wants to join me on this quest to shrink our waistlines...er, I mean stashes???

I know several of you who have that competitive edge and will be enticed by this challenge! Sometimes a task (e.g. shrinking your stash) can be better accomplished with a 'support group' cheering you on!  "YOU CAN DO IT!"- yelled while shaking my pom-poms (how's that for support?)!!!

So, let's take it one month at a time!  Tell us about the project you are working on that is helping you deplete your stash.  You are encouraged to post pictures of your projects!  And remember to post the yardage you use from your stash each time you complete a project!!!  (YES, a quilt top will count as a completed project- even though it is not quilted!  Oh- and don't forget to count the yardage you used to prepare a backing for the quilt top!)  Remember:  you cannot count any newly purchased fabrics for your project....ONLY what you use from your stash.

If you need to buy some fabric to complete a project...we promise we will not bully or intimidate you!  Our goal is to see how long we can go without purchasing fabric and to see how much fabric we can use up from our own stash! 

GO, STASH BUSTERS, GO!!!!

STASH yardage used during the 2012 year was an amazing 1,179.67 TOTAL YARDS:

Andrea- 11.02 total yards

Betty-  196.15 total yards 

Deb S.- 42.6 total yards

Diane-  333.86 total yards

Froggie (Linda)- 4.5 total yards 

Jan- 177.75 total yards

Lynne- 89.2 total yards 

Marcia- 111.75 total yards 

Pat A.- 117.99 total yards 

Peg- 64.75 total yards

Shirley- 13.5 total yards 

JAN. Stash Busting Queen- Betty (33.6 yds)/TOTAL yardage for group: 178.7 yds

FEB. Stash Busting Queen- Diane (38.5 yds)/TOTAL yardage for group: 88.94 yds

MAR. Stash Busting Queen- Diane (70.46 yds)/TOTAL yardage for group: 135.21 yds

APRIL Stash Busting Queen- Diane (29 yds)/ TOTAL yardage for group: 73.72 yds

MAY Stash Busting Queen- Lynne (39 yds)/TOTAL yardage for group: 86.65 yds

JUNE Stash Busting Queens-Jan & Peg(34.25 yds)/TOTAL yardage for group: 99.68 yds

JULY Stash Busting Queen- Diane (54.54 yds)/TOTAL yardage for group: 166.69 yds

AUGUST Stash Busting Queen- Diane (25.63 yds)/TOTAL yardage for group: 53.63 yds

SEPT. Stash Busting Queen- Betty (36.04 yds)/TOTAL yardage for group: 84.17yds

OCT. Stash Busting Queen- Diane (36.38 yds)/TOTAL yardage for group: 91.18 yds

NOV. Stash Busting Queen- Betty (35.92 yds)/  TOTAL yardage for group: 59.47 yds

DEC. Stash Busting Queen- Diane (22 yds)/TOTAL yardage for group: 61.63 yds

Formula to help you figure yardage of your project:  multiply number of inches for width  times the number of inches for length and then divide it by 1,296 inches (which is a square yard: 36" x 36").  

WIDTH x LENGTH divided by 1,296 = your total yardage!

Views: 6887

Replies to This Discussion

Okay, Ladies- who's in with me for the first month of this challenge???!  I'm definitely in (and plan to continue it every month)!! lol

Please post and let me know if you want to jump on this band wagon!  Also-if you have any questions, fire away & I will try to answer them!

C'mon and join the fun, gals!  It's all for a worthy cause because if you deplete your stash....YOU GET TO BUY NEW FABRIC!!!! *wink, wink*

Point of clarification please.........since my personal stash is very small (really it is only scraps at this point) do I get to count the yardage that is donated to Iowa Comfort as long as I am the one who completes the quilt?

That donated yardage is now YOURS since it was donated to YOU!  So, yes- you may count the yardage you use for charity quilt.  Good question, Deb!  Thanks for asking!

***I forgot to mention that you can only count the yardage used from your stash when the quilt project is sewn together.  For instance:  if it is a queen-sized quilt, you can count the yardage after the TOP is sewn together.  So, even if your quilt is not yet quilted- you can count that yardage!  :)

(Remember:  this challenge is more about using the stash; so I'm not focusing on a totally completed project.  However, if you stop working on your project before it is totally completed...shame on you for creating another UFO for yourself!!! lol)

I'm im.  

Are we talking completed tops or completed quilts.  Remember you are dealing with a confirmed topper here, I don't think I will ever catch up even with my own LA!

Lynne- I am talking completed TOPS!!!  Hopefully that will encourage those of us who do not have an LA to have equal opportunity in this challenge.  ALL of us have a stash (don't we???!!)

So, if the quilt top is done (but not quilted)....you can count the fabric yardage you used for that quilt and submit it to our challenge!  This challenge includes all projects:  wall hangings, table runners, pillow cases, bags, infinity scarves, even dog pillows!!!!  Whenever you use any fabric from your stash in a project...it counts!  :) 

How's that for flexibility??!!  ;^)

Ok, I'm in. surprise surprise, but how do we count our scraps? Lots of times I don't use printed patterns so have no idea how much fabric it takes.i think we should all post a picture of our stash before and after.

Taking a picture of our stash may be hard for some gals to do.  I know it would be for me since I keep my stash in file-sized cardboard boxes (with the color of the fabric written on the outside of the box).  I know, I know....I don't get to see my fabrics and fondle them as easily with this storage method; but it's the best I can do with the limited space I have!  But when my quilt nook gets done.....my storage system may change!!! lol

Regarding your usage of scraps in a project (for instance:  if you use a gazillion 2 1/2" squares in a project)- just measure your completed project (e.g. 70"x 84") and try to figure out the yardage using those measurements.  As long as you are in close proximity...I will count that towards your monthly yardage!  

Again- I am all about flexibility and keeping it simple!  :)

Can't lick it as easily that way either

You're right...but I'm not the one into licking fabric!!!  That's Sandy O!!!!   ;^)

WOWEE, you are busy today, Marcia! I will work on shrinking my stash this year, too! I keep trying! I need to organize my fabrics still. I am still working on the snowman hangings, they are small, but taking forever! THey are from stash. If I deplete my whole stash in one year, that will be a miracle!

I should try to be more Deb-like, with no stash!

~Hopppy quilting~

Marcia, I'm in....I'm working on stash sewing most days so it should be a breeze for me. LOL

The biggest problem I have isn't using the stash, it's remembering to take pictures and post.  I do lots of projects that never see the computer, because I can't REMEMBER to do it!  Duh...

Ok, OK....I'll try harder. Being held accountable monthly will probably make a difference too.

Have a great final day of 2011 everyone.

Well since the challenge is out there....I think I need to go play with those 450, 2 1/2 by 7 1/2 units that I have made.  Spent some time on Bonnie Hunters site last night and saw a quilt similiar to what I had planned to do.  I think that if I sash the 5 X 7 1/2 units with white, it might calm down enough for me to keep pretty close to my original plan.  I also keep hearing in the back of my mind  Andrea telling me " Donation quilts are not suppose to be beautiful quilts, they are meant to provide warmth and comfort."  I also remember someone saying that "Pretty quilts may not get used for the entended purpose".

So I'm off to play with fabric!

RSS

Country Fair

New & Exclusive! Country Fair Collection just $6.96/yard Shop now »

Chambray Tonals

New & Exclusive! Chambray Tonals just $6.96/yard. Shop now »

© 2019   Created by CT Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service