Quilt With Us

We certainly accomplished a LOT with the "Stash Buster and UFO Basher" last year, so I will be organizing a similar activity this year!  However this year, we will be focusing entirely on shrinking our stash.  An additional change this year is that we will be doing it on a MONTHLY basis.  There will be a small prize for each monthly winner.  But...there will also be a GRAND prize for the gal who is the overall monthly winner at the end of the year!  So this year, it will be little steps (monthly) to master a huge accomplishment:  BUST THE STASH!!!!

In 2012 we will be focusing on trimming down our stash.  You know how many resolutions involve weight loss and slimming down?!  Well, instead of working on our body...we are going to work on our stash!!! lol   To be a member of this group you are encouraged to USE THE FABRIC IN YOUR STASH that was purchased prior to January 1, 2012.  You may start new projects or finish old projects- but choose the fabrics from your stash. (Anything purchased during this 2012 year canNOT be counted as part of your stash!)  You will need to keep track of how much fabric you use out of your stash each month.  The easiest way to do this is measure your fabric piece before you use it in a project and then measure your fabric piece after you are done using it.  That will help you determine how much fabric you have used! Even easier-if you use only fabric from your stash for your quilt, the pattern you are using will tell your yardage. Who wants to join me on this quest to shrink our waistlines...er, I mean stashes???

I know several of you who have that competitive edge and will be enticed by this challenge! Sometimes a task (e.g. shrinking your stash) can be better accomplished with a 'support group' cheering you on!  "YOU CAN DO IT!"- yelled while shaking my pom-poms (how's that for support?)!!!

So, let's take it one month at a time!  Tell us about the project you are working on that is helping you deplete your stash.  You are encouraged to post pictures of your projects!  And remember to post the yardage you use from your stash each time you complete a project!!!  (YES, a quilt top will count as a completed project- even though it is not quilted!  Oh- and don't forget to count the yardage you used to prepare a backing for the quilt top!)  Remember:  you cannot count any newly purchased fabrics for your project....ONLY what you use from your stash.

If you need to buy some fabric to complete a project...we promise we will not bully or intimidate you!  Our goal is to see how long we can go without purchasing fabric and to see how much fabric we can use up from our own stash! 

GO, STASH BUSTERS, GO!!!!

STASH yardage used during the 2012 year was an amazing 1,179.67 TOTAL YARDS:

Andrea- 11.02 total yards

Betty-  196.15 total yards 

Deb S.- 42.6 total yards

Diane-  333.86 total yards

Froggie (Linda)- 4.5 total yards 

Jan- 177.75 total yards

Lynne- 89.2 total yards 

Marcia- 111.75 total yards 

Pat A.- 117.99 total yards 

Peg- 64.75 total yards

Shirley- 13.5 total yards 

JAN. Stash Busting Queen- Betty (33.6 yds)/TOTAL yardage for group: 178.7 yds

FEB. Stash Busting Queen- Diane (38.5 yds)/TOTAL yardage for group: 88.94 yds

MAR. Stash Busting Queen- Diane (70.46 yds)/TOTAL yardage for group: 135.21 yds

APRIL Stash Busting Queen- Diane (29 yds)/ TOTAL yardage for group: 73.72 yds

MAY Stash Busting Queen- Lynne (39 yds)/TOTAL yardage for group: 86.65 yds

JUNE Stash Busting Queens-Jan & Peg(34.25 yds)/TOTAL yardage for group: 99.68 yds

JULY Stash Busting Queen- Diane (54.54 yds)/TOTAL yardage for group: 166.69 yds

AUGUST Stash Busting Queen- Diane (25.63 yds)/TOTAL yardage for group: 53.63 yds

SEPT. Stash Busting Queen- Betty (36.04 yds)/TOTAL yardage for group: 84.17yds

OCT. Stash Busting Queen- Diane (36.38 yds)/TOTAL yardage for group: 91.18 yds

NOV. Stash Busting Queen- Betty (35.92 yds)/  TOTAL yardage for group: 59.47 yds

DEC. Stash Busting Queen- Diane (22 yds)/TOTAL yardage for group: 61.63 yds

Formula to help you figure yardage of your project:  multiply number of inches for width  times the number of inches for length and then divide it by 1,296 inches (which is a square yard: 36" x 36").  

WIDTH x LENGTH divided by 1,296 = your total yardage!

Views: 6890

Replies to This Discussion

Ladies,

Just have been following your posts and admiring the pictures and I want you to know you are an inspiration to me and the quilts are lovely.  I have been looking through my stash and have many things to get done, my problem besides the time, is I have a hard time staying focused on one project.  I see another one and veer off to that one.

Thank you for the inspiration and I am going to try and get some things done this year. I will continue to watch all of your posts so maybe they will be like a cattle prod to Nancy's hind end. Get going Bossie! as my Dad would say. Happy Saturday. 

don't worry,we are all like that--I started counting UFOs earlier this year and have 4 that only need the binding,6 that need to be quilted,5 that are mostly assembled and blocks made for at least 10 more. I did make a pretty good start to the year by making a couple of quilt tops from stash,so I think I am getting a little more able to concentrate on one at a time,LOL. Have fun,girl!

Yep, Jan- your figure of 4.5 for the yardage is correct for the quilt top, backing, and binding!  Gosh, you gals are getting good at your math!  :)

Love the way you used your Four Patches (which are excellent 'leaders and enders')!  I have some all blue Four Patches that I've been doing as leaders/enders...and these blocks are screaming at me to get sewn into a quilt top!  So many projects bossing me around!  Don't know which UFO to start with first!!!!! lol

Hometown Christmas 96x108 plus backing and binding = 19 yards (8 for the quilt, 10 for the back - 6 extra inches all around-  and 1 for the binding)

really pretty Lynne! love the red birds

Very pretty Lynne.  That will be fun to quilt - why is it I can look at someone else's quilt and immediately think of ways to quilt it and look at mine and draw a blank.  Maybe i need to put them away for a while after piecing and then look at them with a fresh eye.

Man I think I am going to go hide in the corner........here is me slinking off with my tail between my legs. LOL

Its only the 14th and you guys are posting some HUGE Yardage.  I think I'll be embarssed to post my 4 yrds when I get my top done!

I do love all the projects thou.......so keep up the good work ladies.

Wow, all these beautiful quilts already!  I am close to completing my first top, but it's been sitting un-touched for about 2 weeks now.  Maybe I should try getting to it today.  Maybe that will put me into labor! 

Lynne, really love your Hometown Christmas quilt- I've seen that pattern before at a show and loved it.  Can't wait to see it quilted!

WOWSERS!!!!!  That's a LOT of yardage, Lynne!  Congrats on putting a HUGE dent in your stash.  The quilt looks like a fun one to make!  Since it had so many different blocks, I bet you didn't get bored!  ;^)  Is the sashing a deep burgandy or a rich brown?  Either way...it is a very complimentary color since it doesn't distract from the rest of the quilt!  :)

The horizontal sash is burgundy and the vertical is dark brown.  They are basically the colors used in the Thimbleberry pattern, but most of them aren't Thimbleberry fabric.  It is actually a 3 year old UFO.  At the time I cut it out, all the fabrics came from my stash except for the back which I bought 2 years ago.  I hope I qualifies.

Peg if you have quilting ideas, let me know.  I can't usually see more than a huge stipple on them or at least that is all I am brave enough to do.  I really need to learn how to panto.

I also finished up a quick lap quilt top for my aunt today.  It is 42 x 56.  Just some 14.5 inch embroidered blocks alternated with some homespun.  She gave me the unfinished blocks and the fabric years ago.  Since she is doing so much running around for my mom (and probably me next month) I thought I would suprise her with it.  The total yardage for it with back and binding is 4.5 yds.  Sorry no picture.

RSS

Country Fair

New & Exclusive! Country Fair Collection just $6.96/yard Shop now »

Chambray Tonals

New & Exclusive! Chambray Tonals just $6.96/yard. Shop now »

© 2020   Created by CT Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service