Quilt With Us

2014 BIRTHDAY SWAP

In our previous Birthday Swaps we have swapped 2 ½” strips, FQs, and 12 1/2” sampler blocks!  This year we will swap…..10” squares

Everyone who chooses to participate will need to select a fabric theme.  Then when your birthday rolls around, you will be receiving two 10-inch squares (in the fabric theme you have chosen) from each participant.  Since we usually have approximately 20 individuals join in on our Birthday Swap, you should have a “Layer Cake” bundle (or close to it) by the time you receive all your birthday squares. I know some of you will question if the two squares can be the same fabric and here's my thought: two squares from the same fabric will be okay if we have the same number of participants that we usually have.  However, if at all possible, I would like to encourage the fabrics to be different.  One suggestion is to swap one square in the requested fabric theme with the other square coordinating it.  For example: it could be an Halloween print and a coordinating tone on tone.  But if you have to go out and buy a particular themed fabric for the Birthday Swap....then I would suggest just buying the one fabric and sending two squares from that one piece of fabric.

Jenny Doan from Missouri Star Quilts offers a wonderful tutorial for a fast and easy layer cake quilt at:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxC-0T5lXw4. It’s called “Double Slice Layer Cake”.  You may choose to add borders or decide to go borderless, but wouldn’t it be fun to see the same quilt done in a variety of fabric themes?!  What a novel ‘Show and Tell’ this would be to have approximately 20 quilters sewing the same pattern in a variety of fabric themes with a variety of finishes!

Theme suggestions: Christmas, Halloween, Patriotic, Fall, Floral, Animal Prints (tiger, giraffe, zebra, leopard, etc), 30’s, Oriental, Plaid, Polka Dot, Stripe, Bright Print, Pastel, Civil War, etc.

If you wish to participate in this year's Birthday Swap, I need three bits of information from you:  1) the date of your birthday, 2) the theme you would like for your fabric squares, and 3) your address if you are a new swapper. 

So who wants to join in on this easy and fun swap?!

***A special thanks to Jackie O. for this swap idea!***

BIRTHDAYS & SELECTED THEMES (19 participants):

January 9- Marcia:  a 'rich' black, chocolate brown, tan, cream print (preferably NO floral prints) w/coordinating solid or tone on tone (I'm flexible...even if the print is only black & brown; or you send two tone on tone blocks- I'm OKAY w/what you send!)

March 19- Marybeth: bright polka dots w/coordinating bright solid

April 17- Darce: fall print and coordinating tone on tone

April 20- Betty: large bright flowers w/coordinating bright tone on tone

April 25- Rhonda: bright dots or stripes with coordinating solid

April 28- Linda N: happy bright colors

May 5- Peg: bright polka dots w/coordinating bright solid

May 6- Melzee: graphic prints and/or solids and like the turquoise/aqua, lime/apple green, black and white colors.  

May 17- Lana: true red, true blue, & white patriotic fabrics (instead of burgandy,navy & cream)

June 6- Pat A: tone-on-tones or small prints in colors suitable for a tiles quilt (dark reds,golds,greens,browns,tan)

August 8- Jan: Valentine's Day theme using HEARTS in mostly pinks & whites; but can have a little bit of red in the prints 

August 24- Carol V: a 'rich' black, chocolate brown, tan, cream print (preferably NO floral prints) w/coordinating solid or tone on tone

September 21- Teresa M: happy bright colors such as fuchsia, turquoise, lemon yellow, lime green, bright orange etc.

September 29- Sandy O: coffee theme (beans, cups, coffee pots) w/coordinating fabric (tan, cream, brown, black)  NO BRIGHTS!

October 10- Diane :  b'day cards ONLY!  (She wants to share her fabric w/us- but does NOT want us to add to her stash!)

October 23- Jackie O: bright print (polka dots, stripes, chevron, etc) and a coordinating tone on tone or solid

November 7- Nancy H: flannel squares in a hunting lodge theme (one print & one coordinating solid)

December 11- Lynne (AP Mom): fall prints (two the same, two different, print w/ tone on tone...whatever)

December 16- Joyce S: bright children's prints

Views: 4508

Replies to This Discussion

Well since I am almost the last to get to open the birthday goodies, I'll be the first to sign up.  12/11  fall fabrics 

OK, I am in also......March 19, still thinking on theme

Me too -10/10,,,, civil war

OOOH! I always like your ideas,Marcia! I am in again-birthday June 6-still thinking on a theme-I love florals,but I think I am overloaded on them now,same with purples,blues and greens. I will have to go to Mo Star and see what Jenny has done..

Okay! I think I will ask for novelties with a coordinating tone-on-tone or solid-in other words 1 10" square novelty and 1 10" square solid or TOT that coordinate with the novelty. I am seeing a very colorful kids quilt,LOL.

I'm in too.  I just love getting fabics in the mail :)    5/5  I'd like bright polka dots/bright solids.  One of each or two of either one would work.

I'm in!!  10/23.  Still pondering on the theme, but Peg's idea sounds kind of fun. 

oh, me, me, me!!!!  I want to be in on the fun again this year - I've got to think a little on what I want - either fall or Christmas with one print and one coordinating tone on tone.   April 17

Okay Marcia,  I think I will join you ladies on this one this next year. I missed getting something in the mail for my birthday and I felt kind of left out this last year. LOL  No seriously I missed all the goodies SOOOOOOOOO birthday is April 20  and I want Bright LARGE Flowers with the coordinating bright solids.

Marcia, count me in, however Im still thinking about my choice. April 25th.

Hi Marcia...Sign me up this year, please.  My birthday is Sept. 29th and I would like coffee-themed print for one square (beans, cups, coffee pots etc.) and a coordinating fabric for the second square (cream, brown, black, tan etc.)  Please no brights in this one LOL!  Do you still have my address?

Marcia, count me in also.  August 8 and I'll think about a theme.  I need to look at what I have and go from there.  Think I want something "out of the box"!!!

RSS

Country Fair

New & Exclusive! Country Fair Collection just $6.96/yard Shop now »

Chambray Tonals

New & Exclusive! Chambray Tonals just $6.96/yard. Shop now »

© 2020   Created by CT Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service