Quilt With Us

This year's Birthday Swap is going to be a little less structured and a lot more creative!

After seeing the amazing NINE PATCH Challenge by the DM quilt guild members at last fall's AQS show- Diane, Lynne, and I were inspired to use this challenge as our Birthday Swap!  Each participant will be expected to make FIVE small Nine Patch blocks for each birthday person.  You will use nine 1 1/2" squares (five dark/ four light) to construct the block.  The completed block will measure 3 1/2" square.  The light fabrics may be white or cream.  The dark fabrics are of YOUR choosing!  Basically, any dark fabric goes!  Think scrappy!

To keep this swap simple we are not allowing any participants to request a particular color way.  Our philosophy is:  "You get what you get!"   :)

***HINT*** To make the construction of your blocks go more quickly, sew three 1 1/2" strips (WOF) together.  Two strip sets are DARK/LIGHT/DARK and one strip set is LIGHT/DARK/LIGHT. Next cut these sewn strip sets in 1 1/2" rows.  Then sew three rows together to complete your Nine Patch block.  Sewing strips together in this manner will make the construction of your Nine Patch blocks go quickly!  In fact, this technique will enable you to make numerous blocks in just one sitting!  Easy-Peasy!  :)

(NOTE:  Do NOT sew your five NINE PATCH blocks into one block as displayed in this tutorial!  Instead you are to send five individual Nine Patch blocks.)

So who's in??!!  If you are interested in participating, please post below...and include your birthday!  It will be fun seeing the variety of settings the participants choose when laying out their Nine Patch blocks!

NINE PATCH "2018 BIRTHDAY SWAP" PARTICIPANTS:

February 9 - Marcia (Real birthday is January 9th- but pretending it's February 9th!)

March 19- Marybeth 

April 17- Darce

April 25- Rhonda

June 21- Deb S

August 8- Jan

August 24- Carol V

September 19- Janice

September 21- JoAnn M

September 29- Sandy O

October 10- Diane

October 23- Jackie O

November 7- Nancy H

December 1- Tessa

December 11- Lynne

December 16- Joyce

Views: 1988

Replies to This Discussion

Did anyone take a picture of the DMQG quilt?  This sounds do-able...put my name in the basket!  I'm an easy mark!  And did I understand correctly that the person making the blocks is the one selecting ANY color she sew wishes for the dark patches?

October 23

Jackie, they had a whole exhibit of quilts made with nine patches in many different quilt patterns. Just search nine patch quilts in pinterest or google and you will find many projects to do with them.

This swap is entirely sewer's choice.  For example if there are 10 people who choose to participate, you can choose to make all 50 blocks identical with just two fabrics if you want to get them done quickly.  Or you can make every single block different and totally scrappy with up to nine different fabrics in each.  It is all up to the sewer.  That was what was neat about all these quilts, the variety of nine patches that were used in the quilts.  If you want to do the totally scrappy, they make great leaders and enders.

Dec 11

Oh and dark is anything darker than your light!

me too of course!

Another great thing about these small blocks is that the pieces are small enough that even the ugliest fabrics can be used and no will be the wiser!

Oct 10

of course I am in!

what is not to love about receiving fabric from my friends in this group!!

I'm in, what the heck, add another quilt to my list.  I don't have the last two completed but I have always wanted to make a nine patch quilt,  It will be fun as always.  I will see Joyce tomorrow, and I will convince her she needs to participate!!! Wink wink!!

I like the idea, like the creativity possibilities for the sewer, like the size and speed of the blocks but...what will I do with all those blocks that will end up  (scary music plays now!!)...SCRAPPY?

Sandy, you can add calming star points or sashing to bring calmness back to the universe!!

great give away at the retreat!

Most of the quilts had a LOT of resting space for you Sandy!  I will have to find some possibility photos for you!

RSS

Country Fair

New & Exclusive! Country Fair Collection just $6.96/yard Shop now »

Chambray Tonals

New & Exclusive! Chambray Tonals just $6.96/yard. Shop now »

© 2019   Created by CT Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service