Quilt With Us

This year's Birthday Swap is going to be a little less structured and a lot more creative!

After seeing the amazing NINE PATCH Challenge by the DM quilt guild members at last fall's AQS show- Diane, Lynne, and I were inspired to use this challenge as our Birthday Swap!  Each participant will be expected to make FIVE small Nine Patch blocks for each birthday person.  You will use nine 1 1/2" squares (five dark/ four light) to construct the block.  The completed block will measure 3 1/2" square.  The light fabrics may be white or cream.  The dark fabrics are of YOUR choosing!  Basically, any dark fabric goes!  Think scrappy!

To keep this swap simple we are not allowing any participants to request a particular color way.  Our philosophy is:  "You get what you get!"   :)

***HINT*** To make the construction of your blocks go more quickly, sew three 1 1/2" strips (WOF) together.  Two strip sets are DARK/LIGHT/DARK and one strip set is LIGHT/DARK/LIGHT. Next cut these sewn strip sets in 1 1/2" rows.  Then sew three rows together to complete your Nine Patch block.  Sewing strips together in this manner will make the construction of your Nine Patch blocks go quickly!  In fact, this technique will enable you to make numerous blocks in just one sitting!  Easy-Peasy!  :)

(NOTE:  Do NOT sew your five NINE PATCH blocks into one block as displayed in this tutorial!  Instead you are to send five individual Nine Patch blocks.)

So who's in??!!  If you are interested in participating, please post below...and include your birthday!  It will be fun seeing the variety of settings the participants choose when laying out their Nine Patch blocks!

NINE PATCH "2018 BIRTHDAY SWAP" PARTICIPANTS:

February 9 - Marcia (Real birthday is January 9th- but pretending it's February 9th!)

March 19- Marybeth 

April 17- Darce

April 25- Rhonda

June 21- Deb S

August 8- Jan

August 24- Carol V

September 19- Janice

September 21- JoAnn M

September 29- Sandy O

October 10- Diane

October 23- Jackie O

November 7- Nancy H

December 1- Tessa

December 11- Lynne

December 16- Joyce

Views: 1989

Replies to This Discussion

Thank you, Tressa, I had an envelope from you today.

Hubby asked me if he had to get me a card since I was getting so many?  Silly man, we haven't done that for years or if we do we go through the stack of cards that we have already given each other. One year he did pick one out in the store and had me read it, then put it back on the shelf.  LOL

Today's mail brought an envelope from Janice (I think) judging from the address.  Thank you Janice!

Can't wait to open them all up later this week.

Thank you Darce, Carol and Jackie, I went to the mailbox today and received your cards.

You are welcome - glad my envelope made it in time.

Diane and Joyce I recieved your cards on my birthday.  I think I got another one also, but I have grandkids this weekend and trying to show my house several times..... so the cards are stuffed in a drawer and my memory fails me.

Thank you all for making my Birthday special.  

HEY, LADIES- I had recorded the recent Fons & Porter Love of Quilting called "Patchworthy"  (episode #408) and it is perfect for our little Nine Patch blocks we are using for this year's birthday swap!  Mary & Liz did a similar swap with their friends and on this episode they show their two completed quilts.  Both are beautiful quilts!  But it is Mary who shares the instructions for her Nine Patch quilt called "Patchworthy". Such a great pattern for us to use...and if you liked Liz's pattern better, I'm sure you can figure hers out (or find one similar to it)!

FYI- those of you attending this year's IQ Retreat the first weekend of August can give your birthday card & Nine Patches to Jan at the retreat (and save yourself some postage)!  Her b'day is August 8th!  :) 

Got a thick envelope from Lynne!  Thank you; I'm saving them to open on my b-day!

Good morning all,

As many of you know I am in major FLUX right now.  So I decided that I had better send out my birthday cards while I still know where they are!

All but 4 went into the mail yesterday.  Sandy your's will be coming before the end of the week.  Jackie, Nancy and Joyce.  I will bring yours to next quilt circle.

I'll watch the mail, Deb!  Thanks for the heads up and for the nine-patches with cream/white in them LOL!!

Did you make a special request, Sandy? ;^)  

Not a special request, Jackie but I like earth colors; Deb was doing them for me at the retreat and picked such beautiful colors she didn't remember to add the cream fabric.  We smiled about it; she started over AND she gifted me with the strips she had already sewn together without the light color! What a score!

More envelopes from Jan and Marcia.  Thank you ladies!

RSS

Country Fair

New & Exclusive! Country Fair Collection just $6.96/yard Shop now »

Chambray Tonals

New & Exclusive! Chambray Tonals just $6.96/yard. Shop now »

© 2020   Created by CT Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service