Quilt With Us

This discussion is to get each member's input and opinion regarding whether we should or should not have our retreat. I know all of you ladies have your own personal thoughts regarding your decision and hope you are respectful of each other's posts in this discussion. I am going to try to post the facts and let you go from there.

I called the hotel this morning to get information from them. Sadly, I found out that Nancy and Kara are no longer working there. Not sure why because it wasn't my place to ask, but I do know we lost two very supportive employees for our group, These ladies were most helpful in setting up the conference room to my floor plan. They also were very obliging in splitting our checkout amongst the number in the room and just overall pleasant ladies to work with. Okay...enough said, now back to visiting with the manager this morning. I asked several questions you attendees would want to know. Presently the hotel has about 20-30% of their hotel rooms booked- which is down from 50% to almost full prior to this new spike in virus cases. There is a plastic shield guard at their check-in desk to protect you and their staff. Pens, counter top, etc are wiped off after each guest checks in & out. All the surfaces in the rooms are cleaned. Bed sheets and the bedspread are washed after each stay, but the blanket (sandwiched in between the sheet and bedspread) are not washed after each guest. The hotel is serving individually wrapped breakfasts for the guests to eat where they choose. (I didn't ask- but I 'assume' the eating area is closed, which means you would eat in your room or in their outside seating area.) As you recall, the conference room in the past has been set up for twenty attendees and you know the close proximity of each attendee while they are sewing in that room. Also- all the meals would be on your own and thinking most of you would order 'take out' meals from restaurants in Story City.

I checked the Coronavirus data for the Story County area. As of 7/14, Story County has 880 cases with 8 deaths and the cases in Iowa continue to rise.

We need to inform the manager by July 25th whether we will or will not need the conference rooms and hotel rooms or we may have to pay a late fee. Please post a message below telling us whether you will or will not be attending. No explanation needed unless you so desire.

SIDE NOTE: if you are thinking of an alternate date of hosting our retreat (such as a fall date), I will ask that someone else take over the planning of that retreat.

Hope I covered everything. If not- ask questions and the group or myself will try to respond. Thanks in advance for your valued input.

Views: 422

Replies to This Discussion

I just wanted to say that although I am just an honorary OHIOWAN, and have never been to one of your retreats, the pain in your responses touches my heart.  I can feel how much you all care about each other and how the inability to get together hurts each and every one of you.  This virus has done a number on everyone.  Whether it's a cancelled vacation, a postponed wedding, not being able to visit a parent in a nursing home, a cancelled sports season, or not being able to get together with loved ones -- it all stinks.  I will include all of you in my prayers that next year will find you all together, healthy and happy.  Hugs!

Carol...thanks for the very sweet words; I know you mean them sincerely.  I'm always hoping to meet you in person and it would be wonderful if you COULD come to one of the retreats.  You will never regret the time and effort it would take to travel to Iowa and stay a few nights.  It is an experience I look forward to each year and Marcia works hard to make sure all our activities and accommodations are top notch.  Stay safe; we'll see you one of these days.

Thank you, Sandy.  We are doing our best to stay safe...and upbeat which is even harder but we are hanging in there.  Who knows, maybe the Lord will allow our paths to cross in person some day; that would be super.  My mom always said "Never say never - it just might work out".

Ditto what Sandy said!!  And what your mother said, too, Carol!  Yes, never say never!  I, too, look forward to you someday being able to make it to Iowa for the retreat.

I agree Carol.  We would all love to actually meet you in person.  I do feel that we know you already, just from your input on this blog. 

Marcia, I want to personally thank you for all you do for our group.  We love your challenges and ideas.  I know you spend a great deal of time planning and executing those ideas.  Just THANKS for all you do.

Well said...and agreed to by everyone, I'm sure.....We will miss one another this year but we'll be safe to meet next year.

I'll miss not seeing everyone especially since I wasn't there last year, but feel its in everyone's best interest if we don't meet this year.  We all come from a pretty wide area and its silly to take a chance.  If you decide you want the challenge quilts, let us know. 

I don't feel comfortable attending the retreat, so it is a no for me also

Sadly, this morning i was informed that i have breast cancer, i haven't even told my family yet cause i am still processing it in my mind. i had a biopsy on Monday. (My mother died of BC and one of my older sisters also was diagnosed last year) i know there are many advancements and i am sure once i see the many DR's, i will have a better outlook, but since you all are such special friends, i want you to know. 

i am depressed, and fearful of what is to come.

Mary  Beth, we'll keep you in our prayers for sure! 

Marybeth, I’m sorry to hear that news.  I’m sure it’s especially scary with your past experience with your Mom and sister but you are right about all the advancements that have been made.  I’ve had two friends diagnosed in the last 2 years also.  They both had lumpectomies and radiation and didn’t need anything else. I hope you get positive news from your doctors.  Prayers for your physical and emotional health as you deal with this.

Hugs, Marybeth.   And ditto what Peg said about advancements.  I have two cousins that both have been diagnosed in the last couple of years.  Both had the same treatment as Peg's friends and both are fine today.

I keep you in my prayers. stay strong and feel free to chat with us if it all gets too real for you and you just need to talk.

Marybeth, I'm sending you big hugs and am praying for you.


Country Fair

New & Exclusive! Country Fair Collection just $6.96/yard Shop now »

Chambray Tonals

New & Exclusive! Chambray Tonals just $6.96/yard. Shop now »

© 2021   Created by CT Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service