Quilt With Us

This discussion is to get each member's input and opinion regarding whether we should or should not have our retreat. I know all of you ladies have your own personal thoughts regarding your decision and hope you are respectful of each other's posts in this discussion. I am going to try to post the facts and let you go from there.

I called the hotel this morning to get information from them. Sadly, I found out that Nancy and Kara are no longer working there. Not sure why because it wasn't my place to ask, but I do know we lost two very supportive employees for our group, These ladies were most helpful in setting up the conference room to my floor plan. They also were very obliging in splitting our checkout amongst the number in the room and just overall pleasant ladies to work with. Okay...enough said, now back to visiting with the manager this morning. I asked several questions you attendees would want to know. Presently the hotel has about 20-30% of their hotel rooms booked- which is down from 50% to almost full prior to this new spike in virus cases. There is a plastic shield guard at their check-in desk to protect you and their staff. Pens, counter top, etc are wiped off after each guest checks in & out. All the surfaces in the rooms are cleaned. Bed sheets and the bedspread are washed after each stay, but the blanket (sandwiched in between the sheet and bedspread) are not washed after each guest. The hotel is serving individually wrapped breakfasts for the guests to eat where they choose. (I didn't ask- but I 'assume' the eating area is closed, which means you would eat in your room or in their outside seating area.) As you recall, the conference room in the past has been set up for twenty attendees and you know the close proximity of each attendee while they are sewing in that room. Also- all the meals would be on your own and thinking most of you would order 'take out' meals from restaurants in Story City.

I checked the Coronavirus data for the Story County area. As of 7/14, Story County has 880 cases with 8 deaths and the cases in Iowa continue to rise.

We need to inform the manager by July 25th whether we will or will not need the conference rooms and hotel rooms or we may have to pay a late fee. Please post a message below telling us whether you will or will not be attending. No explanation needed unless you so desire.

SIDE NOTE: if you are thinking of an alternate date of hosting our retreat (such as a fall date), I will ask that someone else take over the planning of that retreat.

Hope I covered everything. If not- ask questions and the group or myself will try to respond. Thanks in advance for your valued input.

Views: 422

Replies to This Discussion

I called Comfort Inn this morning and canceled our room. The gentleman said most had canceled already. He ask me to get a hold of you Marcia to let them know what your doing.

Will we try to do this retreat next year?

Oh I hope we can have it next year - I really look forward to it.

I do hope we can plan on doing it again next year.  It will be too long to wait, but we can do it.

Okay, my fellow retreaters: I have CANCELLED everything for this August. :( This includes the rooms (which most of you had already cancelled) and the conference room.
I have reserved the conference room for us, as well as 10 hotel rooms (2 rooms with a king bed and 8 rooms with two queen beds) for next year AUGUST 5-6-7, 2021. We will check in on Thursday and check out on Sunday. I talked to him about the price of the hotel rooms and how we had been 'grandfathered in' with a lower price since we have been returning customers for many years. So once again we have been granted the room rate of $91 next year. :) The block of rooms are being blocked off for us until July 1, 2021 (the date he has set as the cut-off date). If I need to have the cut off date extended, he said that would not be a problem. However- if you wish to get a jump on next year's retreat and want to book a room, you may do so by calling 515-733-6363.
I am going to really miss seeing all of you at this August's retreat and certainly hope NOTHING prevents us from getting together NEXT August. Please save your "Magazine Challenge" quilts and we will have a "Show & Tell" next year!
Just keep sewing...sewing...sewing... and smiling!

Marcia, Thank you for all you do and for getting us locked in for next year.  I have been looking forward to this since last year and I even had my challenge done early!!!  I pray for all to keep healthy and look forward to us getting together next year.  Love you all and keep safe everyone.  Everyday I go to work I see so many changes and everything we do, we think about protecting ourselves and others from this crazy virus. I just am ready for some normalcy!!!  I really think I would go crazy if not for quilting and the release I find with making something.  I will soon have my covid quilt done that I made from the charm squares we exchanged.

I will post a picture when completed.

Thanks again Marcia for all you do for this group.  I know you are an old hand at retreats and fun stuff, but it still takes time and effort to get it all done in such a timely manner.  We do appreciate you and your efforts to make us all have a good time when we get together.  Ya - Rah!!!

I will call this week and reserve my room.  So excited!!


Country Fair

New & Exclusive! Country Fair Collection just $6.96/yard Shop now »

Chambray Tonals

New & Exclusive! Chambray Tonals just $6.96/yard. Shop now »

© 2021   Created by CT Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service