Quilt With Us

Hello Mysterious Quilters!  Please sign up again and when we all have enough time to decide whether to participate, I'll start the clues.  Let's figure on the first one being Sunday, Feb. 16th., a week from today.

I'll post the fabric requirements first, in a day or two.  This one has only TWO main fabrics and a teeny bit of a third accent fabric.

Thanks...this is a pretty one!

Views: 552

Replies to This Discussion

I'm in!

I'm in.  I'm starting out behind already but I will get done eventually!  I'm ready for a fun, uncomplicated one that doesn't require expensive rulers.  

Both Jackie and I have some company/travel during February, so I'm going to post the fabric requirements and cutting instructions now. There will be more info later about when the clues will begin but you'll have plenty of time to gather your fabric cut it up and no stress to finish in lock-step!

So....You need three fabrics. The first is called the "Feature", the second is "Link" and the third is "Chain".  Don't ask; you'll see why later.  The name of the quilt tells us why!

For Feature, you need a medium to large print but not a directional. Link does well as a tone-on-tone in one of the colors from the Feature.  Chain is a solid, again one of the colors from Feature.  The first set of directions is for the center of the top only; borders come later.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Fabric:  Feature: 4 yards 

Link: 1 1/4 yards

Chain: 2 5/8 yards.

Some of this will end up in the borders;  Finished quilt is 77"x 87"  It never hurts to be generous when you buy the fabric in case a mistake in cutting happens....so if you shop in your stash you'll use up a nice amount.  It's important that the fabrics coordinate; this isn't one that will look good scrappy! Anyone wonder why I picked this pattern LOL??

Cutting instructions for the center of the quilt next.

Cutting directions for quilt center:

From the Feature fabric, cut 4 strips, 9 1/2' wide; 3 strips 6 1/2" wide and 2 strips 3 1/2" wide all WOF

From the Link fabric, cut 2 strips 9 1/2" wide, WOF

From the Chain fabric, cut 5 strips 6 1/2": wide; 3 strips 3 1/2" wide and 1 strip 9 1/2" wide, all WOF

Please let me know if this isn't clear.  It's easy when I have the book right in front of me!

****************************************************************************************************************

Sub-cut as follows from the Feature fabric;

From 3 of the 9 1/2"  strips, cut 9 squares, 9 1/2" x 9 1/2"

From the remaining 9 1/2"  strip, cut 8 rectangles, 9 1/2" x 3 1/2 "

From the 3   6 1/2"  strips, cut 24 rectangles 6 1/2" x 3/1/2 "

From the 2   3 1/2"  strips, cut 12 squares, 3 1/2' x 3 1/2"

****************************************************************************************************************

From the Link fabric, sub-cut as follows:

From the 2   9 1/2" strips, cut 18 rectangles 9 1/2' x 3 1/2:

From the Chain fabric, sub-cut as follows:

From the 5  6 1/2" strips, cut 48 rectangles 6 1/2" x 3 1/2"

From the 3  3 1/2" strips, cut 24 squares, 3 1/2" x 3 1/2"

From the 9 1/2" strip, cut 6 rectangles 9 1/2' x 3 1/2"

Cutting Instructions for Borders:

Inner Border: Feature Fabric,

Cut 7 strips, 3 1/2" x WOF

Second and Fourth Borders:  Chain Fabric

Cut 14 strips 2" x WOF

Third Border: Link Fabric

Cut 7 strips, 1 1/2" x WOF

Outer Border: Feature Fabric

Cut 7 strips 5 1/2' x WOF

OK... Fabric and cutting instructions are posted.  First clue will be on Sunday, Feb. 16th.  Then there will be a pause while Jackie and I have travel and company fun.

Holler if there are questions!

Ok let's try this again. It posted the first time and then I tried to edit with a picture which it wouldn't download, so I edited again that the picture is on our FB page and the post just went away!  

Anyway - Will this work monochromatic?  The picture is on our FB page.

I'm going to let Sandy answer that one because I haven't seen the finished product picture myself!!

Jackie now has a pix of the finished quilt as she's my partner in crime...or mystery!!  She has a much better sense of design than I do but I don't think there would be enough contrast to really show the pattern if the fabrics were all the same color, even with different values.

Jackie...what's your take on this?

Yes, Lynne, I agree with Sandy....not enough contrast to show the pattern.  However, if you wanted something super subtle it might work, but I would maybe use a pink solid for either the chain or the link.  What do you think Sandy?

I have a question.  Where it says to subcut 3 of 9 1/2 in strips into 9 9 1/2 squares - is that a total of 9 squares?  I assume so but wanted to make sure. 

Same question for the 6 1/2 and 3 1/2 inch strips.   Is the number of sub cuts per strip or total?

The Feature fabric calls for 4 strips that are 9 1/2" x WOF.  3 of these strips are then cut into a total of 9 squares.

It seems that the 3 squares (from EACH strip) would only use 28 1/2" of that strip that is approximately 40" wide after trimming selvages.  But, that's what it says.

Same with the 6 1/2" rectangles and the 3 1/2" squares.  That is the total from the strips. 

If there is a mistake in the instructions, Jackie our pattern tester will find it!

RSS

Country Fair

New & Exclusive! Country Fair Collection just $6.96/yard Shop now »

Chambray Tonals

New & Exclusive! Chambray Tonals just $6.96/yard. Shop now »

© 2020   Created by CT Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service