Quilt With Us

Here is Lesson 5... We are on the home stretch!

Lesson 5 includes the last two blocks and instructions for finishing the sampler. Note: These comments are available as a PDF to download; click the link below the Lesson 5 PDF.

The LeMoyne Star Variation is paper-pieced. Hopefully, the instructions will suffice if you have successfully paper-pieced in the past. I included a paper-pieced block so you could practice using a positioning pin with the paper and fabric. I posted resources for learning to paper-piece in Lesson 3 including CT tutorials on paper-piecing and related CT products.

For those of you who do not wish to paper-piece for some reason, here are two options:

Make two more Sawtooth Star blocks to substitute for the LeMoyne Star Variations
       Make templates from the paper-piecing templates and piece them the traditional way.

This block also involves multiple intersecting diagonal lines. Paper-piecing can help piece this block precisely. With traditional piecing, it works best to  stop each seam at the 1/4" mark at the center and backstitch. Then the intersection of the multiple seams on the back of the block can be "swirled" like the Pinwheel in Lesson 4. You may want to try this on one of the blocks.

The Basket Block is the final block in the sampler. It provides practice and review of the techniques in the other lessons. The trickiest part may be piecing the triangle underneath the basket. Use the positioning pin to align the marked diagonal line with the point at the bottom of th basket (this will make sense when you get there).

Final Comments on the Positioning Pin: I am the only person I know who, after inserting the perpendicular positioning pin, uses one securing pin coming out where the positioning pin is inserted. I often balance this with securing pins on each edge of the unit, but not always. I like to know exactly where the positioning pin was so I can sew one thread width away.

You need to know that most sources and other quilters use a perpendicular positioning pin to stabilize the fabric layers and then insert two pins, one on each side of the positioning pin about 1/16" or 1/8" away. Also, some resources say to push the positioning pin all the way down to the fabric, keeping it perpendicular underneath. I have seen people leave the positioning pin in place perpendicular to the fabric, sew right up to the pin and remove it at the last moment. Just wanted to let you know about these variations so you can choose one that works for you.

Finishing the Sampler: Lesson 5 also includes instructions for assembling the sampler, adding borders and finishing the quilt. Sewing the blocks and rows together may be challenging with all those points! You will be grateful for the blocks with frames; they at least don't have points to match. To be honest, when I assembled my sampler, I had to self-enforce my rule of accepting the results after ripping out a seam three times.

Binding: You may want to check out my five-part detailed tutorial on binding called Binding Basics. 

Perfect Points Quilt Along: This lesson ends the sampler quilt along in that there will be no more official postings. The tutorial, pattern and lessons will stay up for many more weeks so members can finish and others can start later. I will be checking the Perfect Points Quilt Along group frequently in the next month or so and infrequently after that. Eventually, everything will be available on the website.

Member's Photos: We will post some more photos in the next couple of days and probably as people send in photos of their finished samplers. Look forward to seeing them!

Thanks! I want to say thank you to all of you who have added your comments, helped others and sent in photos. This was my first blog and quilt along. It has been a tremendous learning experience and a rewarding one. I hope you have enjoyed it as well.

Views: 1350

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

Here are my stars.  I enjoyed doing the paper piecing and it all went along fairly smoothly...until I joined the 2 halves - I tried twice to line up the centre points but just couldn't get it...and the blocks are about 1/4" too small.  Are you supposed to follow the black seam allowance line on the paper when joining or just go back to your regular 1/4" foot? (I also ran out of my fabric 13 because I re-did my geese on block one a couple times! I tried to use something that almost looked the same)

Man!  I had the hardiest time getting my computer to print the PDF Files.  Took me four days to figure it out.  Never had this problem with the other lessons.  I'm hoping the files I printed are the correct ones as I read on Wednesday that you were going to correct the pattern.  How will I know it's the correct one?  I've been anxious to get started on this final lesson and get my sampler assembled.  Have had such a wonderful experience with this kind of Quilt-Along.  You're a great teacher Ann!  I've made progress with perfecting my points, so this class has been a success for me -THANKS!

Angie, mine ended up 8 1/4" also.  The only thing I could figure was my printer was just a hair-off of the correct sizing.  Now the trick will be to put a small border so it fits the other blocks.  I'm not going to remake it!

Oh, Glenda...that makes me feel better and not so alone! lol! Perhaps I will try a border as well...I haven't attempted to put it all together yet.  I need to do the basket block still and then cut the fabric for the borders and backing then see what I have left over to RE-DO some blocks!  W-I-P!!!

Thank you Ann for this Quilt-Along.  Love this sampler quilt, which is all about improving our points.  Here are my blocks for Lesson 5.  I plan to put my quilt together this week, and then add 3 borders to make it larger - a narrow border, a 4" piano key border and then another wide border.  Can't wait to finish it.

Thanks again !!!

those are crisp and beautiful!! great work!

I believe the illustration is still wrong...or wasn't corrected in the download.  I cannot get the number two to be on the top with 3 on the bottom right and 1 to the left if I turn the paper over to the wrong side...impossible.  You can do it if it's just tilted but right side up.  If you flip your paper over to the wrong side....it is a different shaped triangle than shown and 1 is on the right and 3 is now the left and the triangle is facing opposite of what it is in the illustration.

RSS

Sweet and Lovely

New & Exclusive! Sweet and Lovely Collection just $7.96/yard Shop now »

Glacier Peak

New & Exclusive! Glacier Peak Collection just $6.96/yard. Shop now »

© 2017   Created by CT Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service