Quilt With Us

I have scraps in many forms, strips, squares from previous projects and then the odd shaped pieces. In trying to reorganize my sewing room, I'm wondering what other quilters KEEP and dont keep... and how do you store those pieces.  Care to share??

Views: 103

Replies to This Discussion

Ihve started saving small scraps for a group in calgary who uses them to fill dog beds they make for resue homes. Found this group on Kijiji (candaian equivalent to craigs list under crafts). anything bigger than two inches will be put aside to make squares for quilts to donate, just easy nine patches.
I keep my scraps in baskets I have sitting next to my cutting table that are labeled different sizes - 5" squares, 4 " squares, 2 1/2 " strips, etc. The 1 1/4" strips I keep to use for Locker Hooking. Vicki/NY
what kind of 'baskets' ? and how are they labeled?
I went to Bed, Bath and Beyond and got some fabric baskets that have a place on the end of them for a label. I labeled them less than 1/2 yard, 1/2 yard cuts, 1 yard cuts, 2 1/2" strips, 4" squares and 5" squares. I then put them on shelves in the closet in my sewing room. Hope this helps! Vicki/NY
I store scraps too, but I can't use open storage because it's so dusty here. I finally separated them into different plastic containers once I realized how much I had...lol. So I have containers for 2-1/2" strips, 5" squares (some 6" get thrown in here too) 2" squares, 2-1/2" squares, 3" squares, and I think there's one for 4" squares, but another quilter at my church is asking for 4" ones so I'll give those to her. I also am collecting 2-1/2"x5" rectangles for a quilt and 3/4" strips for a mini log cabin, but only in certain colors.

I tend to save almost anything over 1", just have to sort where they go. SInce I do very small EPP, yo-yo's, and muslin foundation piecing, I'm always using small scraps and hate to cut into fat quarters just for little bits. For example, I do 1'4" hexagons, so don't really need large pieces at all. The trick is controlling the scraps. When I come across scraps that I really don't like, I make yo-yo's from them and throw those in a plastic shoebox for 'someday'.
I don't like throwing my scraps out. If they are too small I give them to a preschool and they use them to make all kinds of things. (like cards and pictures) I do use my real small scraps for my picture quilts too. As far as storage I store all my fabrics in plastic containers and label them.

RSS

Country Fair

New & Exclusive! Country Fair Collection just $6.96/yard Shop now »

Chambray Tonals

New & Exclusive! Chambray Tonals just $6.96/yard. Shop now »

© 2019   Created by CT Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service