Like so many of us in Michigan, we had a wet basement this spring. Unlike most others though, it was not a new problem for us. We had floorboards (it's a finished basement) rotting away in spots so in November, my husband started taking up the floor to see if he could pinpoint the problem. With the spring thaw we found 4 long cracks (easily about 6-8 feet long) and lots of water. To make a long story short....the cause is the hydrostatic pressure under the floor and next month the workers will be in to trench around the foundation wall (on the inside), put in a drainage system and a second sump pump and repair the cracks. The downside is that we have to completely remove the floors and walls (or at least the bottom 30 inches of them). We are doing that ourselves (the repair job its self will be over $10,000....so anywhere we can save money is good) and it's been a huge job. So why is that important on a quilting site? Guess where my sewing room is?
Over the years, I have gradually expanded my space down there until I had my perfect sewing room. I had 5 machines and a serger set up that could all be used at the same time. The batting was hanging up for easy access. For Christmas one year, my husband redid the wiring for me so the light is great and I have enough sockets. There was a kitchen in the basement and the island became my cutting table. There are photos of my sewing room in my photos if you want to see for yourself.
I have spent the last 2 days taking my sewing room apart. I have a corner of the office to use. I set up my smallest sewing table (the one I started with in 1974) set up with one of my machines. Some of the material is in the closet in the office, some is in the closet in the guest room and some is stacked up (in plastic bins) in the guest room. Most of the machines are tucked away in corners of the guest room but one is under the sewing table in the office. I haven't quite decided where the ironing board or my big cutting boards are going to land...that's today's task. I think it will work.
It's a pity it's happening now as I am a teacher and usually summer is when I really immerse myself in sewing, but I am going to travel and see my kids instead (a 3,000 mile road trip all by myself...but it will keep me out of my husband's hair while he rebuilds the bones of my sewing room). The sewing room is the priority...even to my husband and there is an upside. We are taking the kitchen part out and I will gain an extra 6 feet of space for my sewing area. I am already thinking about how I want to rearrange the space. With the walls out, it will be very easy to add more electric sockets to the other walls...so I will have the plugs where I need them. And....I am between projects. I finished the last one, a log cabin star jacket for a friend, on Tuesday. Unfortunately, I don't have a photo of it. When she came in for a fitting (so I could decide how to do the buttons) she decided it didn't need buttons and took it with her. Hopefully I will be able to get over there and take some photos soon...it really did come out beautifully!
So, like I said, bittersweet. The bitter is losing the room for the summer. The sweet is getting to see my kids a little more (I live in Michigan, they live in Oklahoma and Colorado) and getting a bigger sewing area out of it. Hopefully it will go a lot like childbirth, at the time it goes on forever but in retrospect, it really didn't take that long.