The graduation quilt "Ain't No Bull" (taken from the Troy Co. fabric line name) is finished! It is a twin size (63 x 84), original design using a 3" grid, tied with a Decatur Knot technique in perle cotton thread, and backed in flannel. Besides the outside gold border, the red, and the 4 bull rider quilt panels, all the rest of the fabrics came from my stash. In fact, I must have really loved the fabric with the brands in it, because I've used it in several western quilts and still have quite a bit of it left! I used 2 layers of a handquilting Hobb's poly batt - just because I had it on hand - to give it a little bit of a loft, since it was going to be tied and not quilted.
It turned out a little more biscuit-quilt-like than what I envisioned, but it will be fine. I'm sure the mistake was mine - in that I probably stretched the back a little too much on the frame and when it released and relaxed, it caused the top to "poof." It has been just what I needed to get me out of the quilting slump. Deadlines are good! :) This one was finished with a week to spare.
This is for my niece. I know - it is more of a masculine quilt, but this is her interest. She's dating a bull rider and is as country as they come. It also has a little bit of Native American elements to it, which is in her heritage as well. I hope she'll love it, but time will tell.