• Do not use charcoal or gas grills inside. They produce deadly carbon monoxide.
• Be careful with space heaters. Keep them away from flammable items such as curtains and upholstery. Inspect the heater and electrical cord before use. Do not use extension cords or heaters with defective power cords.
• Make sure your smoke detector is working.
• Check on neighbors, friends and relatives. The elderly and children are especially vulnerable to cold temperatures.
• Bring pets inside.
• Cover outdoor plants and bring potted plants indoors.
• Protect wells and outdoor plumbing from freezing.
• Stay indoors or dress warmly, in layers. Wear a hat if you will be outside.
'Polar vortex' pushes subzero temps into Midwest, RSW delays continue: http://newspr.es/1aBRaeu