Laraine's project is from the book Hugs & Holly. It is SO cute! She said.......
This was such a fun project and I love how it turned out. When I saw these I really wanted to make one using # 5115 Saint Nick’s Workshop-Multi (this fabric has been very popular so if you want some do not hesitate or it will be gone). Because I wanted the Santa heads to go around the body of the bucket—and I didn’t want to cut any Santa in half—I had to do a little extra calculation and make the body out of two pieces remembering to figure in the extra ½” seam allowance for both pieces. It really wasn’t hard and I was able to do it out of the half yard called for; it just meant paying close attention when cutting. I’d never worked with Soft and Stable before and I like how it performs in this type of project. It really does add ‘body’ so the bucket stands up and has a nice shape.
There was one thing that was difficult. The instructions have you put a square bottom on the body of the bucket. And with the Soft and Stable being a bit bulky I felt very much like I was trying to get a square peg in a round hole! I did manage it but have a few tucks at the bottom corners to make it fit. On my next one I might try and figure out how to do a round bottom instead of the square and see if that is any easier.
I sewed the handle on to the bucket first, to make a pivot point, and then sewed decorative buttons to just the handle to cover up the stitching. This way the handle can move to make filling with goodies easier.
All in all this went together fairly quickly and I think it's a great project for gift.