Quilt With Us

Hello All,

It's been a hectic fall around here.  I started back to work (at the middle school) on Sept. 6 after a somewhat relaxing summer.  The Saturday after school started, Sept 10, I was home with my youngest son.  The breaker for the washing machine flipped off,  there was no wash going at the time, I reset it only to have it flip off again.  My husband was out working on the shop he's building but happened to come into the house for a drink of  water.  At that point, the doorbell rang, went to the door, no one there.  Hubby started looking around utility room, opened up the attic access door and smoke was billowing out!  He yelled CALL 911.  That was not such a good day.  We had an attic fire caused by faulty electrical work done when we had a remodel in 1998.  We were in a hotel for 3 nights due to no power.  One of the biggest headaches was carting water in for our animals.  It was still warm here and because we are on a well, when we have no power, we have no water.  We also lost food from our big freezer out in the garage, I tried to salvage all that I could by taking frozen food to my son's house or the dinky freezer in the hotel room.  I did make a 20 lb. turkey after we got our power back on.....I didn't want that going to waste!

We are just now back to normal, the restoration people did much work and we are grateful for them and our good insurance coverage.  My husband has his shop almost completed, that has been a whole different set of stress.  I have told him there are reasons people hire contractors to build shops!  After this fall, the holidays will be a breeze!

And the best news of all is none of my fabric was affected!  While I was standing in the barn watching the firemen run in and out of the house all I could think of were family photos and my fabric.  I'm so grateful that it went as it did and that we were home at the time! 

Views: 107

Comment

You need to be a member of Quilt With Us to add comments!

Join Quilt With Us

Comment by Pam/NY on October 25, 2016 at 10:57am

Wow…that was a close one. So glad you caught it in time. Nothing more frightening. 

Comment by Irene Gallway on October 24, 2016 at 9:17am

Same thing happened to me when I lived at the house. Mine was a chimney fire that broke out in a closet up stairs. We were going out of town and I was tidying up before we left. I put a news paper in the wood stove and it went up the chimney causing the fire.  Like you, we didn't lose anything. Had a neighbor not alerted us about the chimney we would have gone and lost our house.  I said we had the hottest news in town when I put the newspaper in the stove. 

Comment by Jodi Cramer on October 22, 2016 at 1:47pm

I am so thankful it all turned out so well!

Comment by ranchmom/OR on October 21, 2016 at 8:04pm

I am glad you and your family are alright.  I think a house fire is one of my biggest fears so glad you were home and found it early.

Comment by Bonnie on October 21, 2016 at 7:28pm

I'm glad you came through OK!

Comment by Prairie Quilter Jan/NE on October 21, 2016 at 6:59pm

Sue - sorry to hear this, but SO thankful it was detected early!  

Comment by Barb/WI on October 21, 2016 at 5:31pm

How awful!  So sorry for the ordeal, but so relieved no one was injured.  Thank goodness your husband discovered the source before it became out of control.  You deserve stress free holidays!  (Is there such a thing?)

Comment by Sue S. / OR on October 21, 2016 at 3:59pm
Janet, yes, our insurance company did compensate us for the lost food. I didn't know that at the time of the fire, but it was a nice surprise. As far as the electrical wiring, the electrician had not gone by code at all, it was a rat's nest of wires. We paid for that electrician, the company was reputable or so we thought. This electrical company was sold in 2005, I think I know why!
Comment by Janet/MO on October 21, 2016 at 3:47pm

Wow, Sue, what an ordeal, but you are right, no one was hurt & the fabric was salvaged so all is well in the end.  It is amazing you have not have a fire before this!  I watch some of the remodeling shows on HGTV such as Property Brothers & my jaw just drops when they open the walls & expose the wiring a lot of those houses have.  Did your insurance co reimburse you for the cost of the lost food?  I have heard that some do. 

Country Fair

New & Exclusive! Country Fair Collection just $6.96/yard Shop now »

Chambray Tonals

New & Exclusive! Chambray Tonals just $6.96/yard. Shop now »

© 2020   Created by CT Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service