Too cheap to buy a pattern and didn't like the freebie method for this block for this particular quilt and the fabrics I'm using. However, next time I might be tempted to just go with that one. It would be much easier than what I have resorted to doing - templates. After a lot of math frustration and several block sample fails, templates seemed to be the way to go for this block to get the look I want. This will be a baby quilt, so not many blocks. I'm kind of excited about the project.
I'm using an older Alexander Henry fabric called "tale of the hunt" - a Native American themed fabric with a 50's retro juvenile feel to it for the neutral side of the block. I've pulled coordinating fabrics from my stash for the contrast. In my research, I learned that the individual block was traditionally called Indian Arrowhead, but was changed in the 70's to Hunter's Star, due to the secondary star pattern made when 4 blocks are set together. (Those historians out there, please correct me if my information is wrong. I don't claim to be an expert and I don't want to spread something that isn't true.)
I'm at the fabric cutting stage, so I'm committed - or maybe should be... :) Sure hope it turns out. Deadline for this one is the 10th.