This is what I decided to do with the baby quilt - mostly because of fabric availability and crunch time. I appreciated all who commented and gave suggestions. I made notes for next time. I think it would have looked nice with a dark border as well. I was using up scraps and made do with what I had.
Stats: 8" blocks. 1" inner border, 3" outer border. Machine quilted - domestic machine - in the ditch. Cotton batt. This has been washed and dried. I don't prewash my fabrics because I like the slightly vintage puckered look after it has shrunk a little bit in the dryer. Quilt size: 40 x 48".
Fun fact: The narrow inner border was some fabric I inherited from a great-aunt's stash. She was a prolific quilter. She did everything by hand: piecing, embroidery, applique, and the quilting. I have fun digging through her fabrics and coming up with "just the right" one for any given project. They are mostly solids and most have been cut into (with scissors) for applique pieces.
There are also 3 pieces of CT solids that came in a layer cake bundle that was won in a drawing years ago. That's why there are no repeats of those 3 fabrics.
And the back: