Finally, the 3-day weekend is here! I have a wonderful, quilting filled, long weekend planned with my favorite quilting buddy, Carol. She's really my quilting mentor, with many more quilting years under her belt than I. Carol is the one I call when I need quilting advice or ideas. Her style is much more traditional than mine; I lean towards the art quilt side, but her advice on technique, and basic how-to is excellent, so she's my guru.
Carol has agreed to help me put together a T-shirt quilt that has to be done by late June. I'm actually getting paid for this quilt, so I want to make sure it's done on time. It's a very simple quilt, just 9 t-shirts, with very wide sashing and border. It's very large, though-82"x 82". I asked her to help me piece it together, and if we get the top done, baste it together for machine quilting. I don't think I'm going to do traditional quilting, though. Since it's a t-shirt quilt, I just might do some machine tacking instead of quilting. I'm thinking of maybe tacking down some yo yo's, or ribbons. This is for a teenage girl, so I can get frilly!
The blue and yellow quilt I just posted is made from a pattern called Wickedly Easy. I got it online from this website:
This is a baby quilt size and you can make it with only 6 fat quarters (for the top). I added 4 more quarters, just for more color accents, but I didn't buy anything extra for this quilt!! Of course, the pattern gives you yardage for larger sizes. I started this quilt last Friday and finished it Tuesday morning. I had to finish it by Tuesday, because that's when the baby shower was! I wasn't originally going to make a quilt for the shower, but when I came across this pattern, I felt it was possible. The cutting went very quickly because you can layer your fat quarters. The pattern shows only pieced side borders, but I had enough fabric to put borders all the way around. I didn't have to piece the backing, because the width of the quilt was only about 38". The length came out to 54". I basted with spray adhesive and the batting was cotton. I did machine quilting in the ditch between the blocks and around the border. I did a sampling of machine quilting in the larger, rectangular blocks. I stuck to simple quilting; ie, large stippling, curving lines, spirals, etc. Altogether, the quilt took about 25 hours total. I free-motion quilted the baby's first name in one of the patches, but will be doing a label on the back as soon as the baby is born and I have the birth date.
If you're looking for a pattern for a very quick quilt, this one is it! It's also fun being able to use some of those FQ bundles you've bought.