I just finished this baby quilt for a great-niece born June 27th. I loved the polka dot fabric. Apparently I was feeling extravagant at the time and bought a whole half yard of it. Since I was already blowing my wad, I picked out FQs to match. Yes, the quilt shop owner was overwhelmed at my spending spree that day...
Since I'm trying to "shop my stash" and use up what I have, I came across this set from who knows what year. Challenge - finding a pattern that will work with the yardage (or lack of) that I have.
In my dream world, the perfect quilter knows just what she's going to do with each fabric she buys, knows exactly how much yardage (or not) she'll need, and can actually remember both when she goes to sew it up. Not me. I usually have no plan whatsoever when I buy fabric - other than it will go in a quilt "someday." So that means I have no idea how much (or little) to buy. And also means I have to give that bewildered blank stare when hubby asks what quilt I'm going to make with it or who is this fabric for. He seems to think I'm supposed to have a specific purpose for each fabric before it leaves the quilt shop. PSHHH. I guess that would be the most prudent thing, but since I'm apparently a slow learner, I mostly do one of two things: I either A) find a pattern I like and then rummage through my stash desperately searching for enough of each fabric to make it; or B) pull out some fabric and then rummage through patterns to see which will work with how much fabric I have!
I chose option B for this quilt. I had the fabric bundle, so I just needed to find a pattern that would work with it. I've always wanted to make this quilt block - easy enough and just right (I thought) for this set of FQs and polka dots.
Here are the stats - roughly: Cotton top with flannel backing. Machine quilted Baptist fans. Remaining FQ scraps used for the binding. I can't recall exactly how big the blocks are - something like 7" - not a standard size as I recall. I used a 1/2" finished pink inner border and a 4" finished outer border. The quilt is something like 36 x 48 (or so). I'm not at my sewing corner, so I don't have the exact stats.